BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 20d, 5h, 9m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 5842MB of 12275MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt. FTP        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
While the build was only known to be existent on 202.38.64.41, I found that it was previously on the Rostov State University FTP. Here's the original file path: ftp://ftp.rsu.ru/incoming/WIN_MIL/

Unfortunately I was not able to find the actual build, but I thought that this was an interesting find nevertheless.

Here's my source: https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobi ... MWA9LmdhkJ

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:08 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
7601 SP1
What is the point if you cannot find said build on the FTP? Oh yeah, there is none.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:12 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Damian9303 wrote:
What is the point if you cannot find said build on the FTP? Oh yeah, there is none.

I just thought I'd make the info available.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
The FTP does not work.

I would like to have this particular build though, because of the Activity Centre (you see them in 5111). There is also big gap between 2348 and 2380.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:20 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
7601 SP1
DiskingRound wrote:
The FTP does not work.

He said this in his post. That's why I asked him what was the point of this.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Damian9303 wrote:
DiskingRound wrote:
The FTP does not work.

The point is to prove that it existed in more places than we originally thought. This would be useful to someone who would like to re-leak a copy (amongst them being me and DiskingRound). If one does their research, he or she can see that Rostov State University re-named themselves as Southern Federal University. Unfortunately, their site is currently down, although they are an active university, so I am assuming that that will be fixed soon enough. (FYI: Using archive.org to access the FTP does work, but you can't access the ME build.) I have found three parties (and am trying to find a fourth from Southern Federal University) who might have a copy. That is why I posted this.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:01 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
7601 SP1
geminiman112 wrote:
Damian9303 wrote:
DiskingRound wrote:
The FTP does not work.

The point is to prove that it existed in more places than we originally thought. This would be useful to someone who would like to re-leak a copy (amongst them being me and DiskingRound). If one does their research, he or she can see that Rostov State University re-named themselves as Southern Federal University. Unfortunately, their site is currently down, although they are an active university, so I am assuming that that will be fixed soon enough. (FYI: Using archive.org to access the FTP does work, but you can't access the ME build.) I have found three parties (and am trying to find a fourth from Southern Federal University) who might have a copy. That is why I posted this.

I got an idea. Go copy the name of the ISO for the ME build and then paste it into Google with quotes and see what you get.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Damian9303 wrote:
geminiman112 wrote:
Damian9303 wrote:
DiskingRound wrote:
The FTP does not work.

I got an idea. Go copy the name of the ISO for the ME build and then paste it into Google with quotes and see what you get.

That was one of the first things I tried and it did not work. If anyone is interested, the file was named "Windows.Millennium.2368.Missing.Cab61-TRPS".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
Gemini, to me that looks just like the missing 61th cab of 2368 which went missing in the original release. I know a member here who has it.
Also Jonathan Kay has or had build 2368 and showed screenshots with Sonic the Hedgehog wallpapers. In 2014 I contacted him but received no response. I know he's probably still around; he posted on his blog on May 18, 2017.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DiskingRound wrote:
Gemini, to me that looks just like the missing 61th cab of 2368 which went missing in the original release. I know a member here who has it.
Also Jonathan Kay has or had build 2368 and showed screenshots with Sonic the Hedgehog wallpapers. In 2014 I contacted him but received no response. I know he's probably still around; he posted on his blog on May 18, 2017.

Jonathan Kay was amongst the people I contacted. That is a good point that that is just the missing 61th CAB. I thought it was the release but missing the 61th CAB. What is the original filename?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:23 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
7601 SP1
DiskingRound wrote:

So that's where the pictures from the BetaArchive Wiki come from.

geminiman112 wrote:
What is the original filename?

The original filename is the name you mentioned. If you want proof of this, I did some research and this is where this build was found in on the other FTP you mentioned: ftp://202.38.64.41/archive/storage1/0da ... ab61-TRPS/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
I placed the picture there. Also, I looked at Archive.org and found no evidence of the Southern Federal University having an FTP, nor with this particular build on it. Nothing to see there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Damian9303 wrote:
So that's where the pictures from the BetaArchive Wiki come from.

geminiman112 wrote:
What is the original filename?

The original filename is the name you mentioned. If you want proof of this, I did some research and this is where this build was found in on the other FTP you mentioned: ftp://202.38.64.41/archive/storage1/0da ... ab61-TRPS/[/quote]
Yeah, I thought so.

DiskingRound wrote:
Also, I looked at Archive.org and found no evidence of the Southern Federal University having an FTP, nor with this particular build on it. Nothing to see there.

They used to have it at some point (as evidenced by the newsgroup in the first post) but they don't have it on their website anymore. As soon as the SFU's page goes back up, I will find the old webmaster/sysadmin/whoever was responsible for the FTP at the time.

EDIT: Could somebody please contact this guy (https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-eshelman-2aa84934/)? I think he has a copy. His e-mail server doesn't work quite right.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
I found no email or anything that that guy's page. Also, I found this:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobi ... C2HkyBR10J
They look like chinese warez discs and has build 2368.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DiskingRound wrote:
I found no email or anything that that guy's page.

administrator@aumha.org
DiskingRound wrote:
Also, I found this:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobi ... C2HkyBR10J

Nice find!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:02 am 
FTP Access

Unfortuntealy the page does not have the actual build on it.
Its just a list of products from 2368's era that happens to not have the build itself

Last edited by Windows Thunderstruck on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Thunderstruck wrote:
Unfortuntealy the page does not have the actual build on it.
It looks like one of those product key pages.

This appears to be the original scene release from back in the day.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:25 am 
FTP Access

Isn't one of those warez material how we got 1515?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DiskingRound wrote:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!search/millenium$20build$202368/tw.bbs.test/IBB8a2EzVYQ/tnC2HkyBR10J

Those e-mail addresses are still live from what I can tell. Someone should try contacting them to see if they still have copies.

EDIT: I heard back from the University of Science and Technology of China. I accidentally contacted the wrong department, but luckily they still helped me out.

"That directory is not belong to Linux User Group. I just asked our
network center, but they said they can't find any backup of it."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
Isn't one of those warez material how we got 1515?

Yes, there was a guy here who found discs on ebay that were pirated, and later shared them.
I found another email: white@math.rsu.ru.
Also from what I've heard this build was compiled before September 3, 1999. BTW, Paul Thurrott has 3 more screenshots at his WinMe development page.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DiskingRound wrote:
I found another email: white@math.rsu.ru.

Speaking of e-mails, I e-mailed the posters of the newsgroup post you linked to and replied to it. I also contacted Mr. White. Thank you for the information, as I have found it to be very helpful. Someone also PM'ed me to inform me that they were searching through the warez CDs on old-dos.ru. By the way, do you happen to know White's full name? This could be an old e-mail address.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:28 pm 
FTP Access

I wonder how a Windows ME prototype ended up on a Russian university server?
:idea:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I wonder how a Windows ME prototype ended up on a Russian university server?
:idea:

What are you saying? What is your idea?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
He is asking how this build 2368 could end up on a Russian university FTP. I really don't know.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Millennium Edition Build 2368 Previously on alt.        Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DiskingRound wrote:
He is asking how this build 2368 could end up on a Russian university FTP. I really don't know.

I thought of something. My hypothesis is that somebody who was part of the college's alumni (whether student, professor, etc.) happened to also work at or be an intern at Microsoft (or know someone who fit that description). They, in turn, uploaded it onto the FTP. This could be a release which is not based upon the TRPS warez leak, due to the aforementioned hypothesis and the fact that the directory name is different. This is just a hypothesis.

Now we just have to find them.

Top  Profile