BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 66d, 12h, 22m | CPU: 17% | MEM: 5248MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Chicago 73: Fatal "I/O subsystem driver" error        Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Any build of Microsoft Chicago
I can install Chicago 73, and on the first boot, it works just fine:

However, when I reboot it or turn it off then back on again, I get this error message:

After that, it acts like everything was wiped out, and Chicago doesn't work. Sometimes, the 73 installer (still in the seemingly intact copy directory, not C:\CHICAGO) doesn't work either, but if a reinstallation from here initially does work, then I might see any one of these five messages:

Other than a rare working occurance after reinstallation, these things happen every time I install and reinstall Chicago 73.

Installing in VirtualBox, the OS type set to Windows 98, and installed on top of MS-DOS 5.01. I had all the files copied to the VHD, normal installation, Plus Pack components. Changing RAM, execution cap, and paravirtualization settings seems to do nothing.

I know it's an early preliminary release, but this is the only one I really have issues with, every other Chicago build I've installed so far has worked quite well in VirtualBox.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Chicago 73: Fatal "I/O subsystem driver" error        Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
Don't use vbox for such early stuff, it's better to use pcem.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Chicago 73: Fatal "I/O subsystem driver" error        Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:43 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
For me, using Windows 3.1 for these early builds & turning off hardware virtualization works fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Chicago 73: Fatal "I/O subsystem driver" error        Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:11 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Any build of Microsoft Chicago
The Distractor wrote:
Don't use vbox for such early stuff, it's better to use pcem.

Alright, it worked; I used the same process as before to install Chicago, and it doesn't crap out after restarting, but now PCem crashes when I try to use Explorer.

Just in case there are any recommendations on PCem system settings for Chicago, I used this configuration to install MS-DOS 5.00, Windows 3.1, and Chicago 73f:

• Machine: AMI WinBIOS 486
  • CPU: Intel i486SX/25
  • No dynamic recompiler
  • "Some" cache
  • 24MB RAM

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Chicago 73: Fatal "I/O subsystem driver" error        Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- Betatester: Please PM me your hard disk image with Chicago 73f so I can try to reproduce the bug and hopefully fix it.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Chicago 73: Fatal "I/O subsystem driver" error        Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
Unfortunately, it appears to be an OS bug. The OS does not load the task segment state register properly when talking to the DOS CD-ROM driver, hence why the problem occurs. The only solution is to comment out the MSCDEX line in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

PostPost subject: Re: Chicago 73: Fatal "I/O subsystem driver" error        Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:33 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
Battler wrote:
Unfortunately, it appears to be an OS bug. The OS does not load the task segment state register properly when talking to the DOS CD-ROM driver, hence why the problem occurs. The only solution is to comment out the MSCDEX line in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

In my tests, esdi_506.pdr would conflict with the DOS CD-ROM Driver, or so I encountered the bug (yes, it happens here too if I don't disable mscdex.exe or esdi_506.pdr).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Chicago 73: Fatal "I/O subsystem driver" error        Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
I suspect the OS is simply not aware that there might be a real mode driver communicating on IDE ports and so the real mode driver handler blocks them (or it might have been a simple oversight from Microsoft too). I'm going to see what port ranges 73f allows in V86 mode, and attempt to add an option to move the tertiary IDE controller there (PCem Experimental already allows a tertiary IDE controller for CD-ROM only) and come up with a modified version of VIDE-CDD.SYS version 2.15 that uses that port range.

Edit: Found a solution. Moving the CD-ROM to the existing tertiary IDE controller works. Just make you are using PCem Experimental (mainline PCem does not have a tertiary IDE controller), and that you are using either a Pentium board that is at least Socket 5 (ie. at least Intel Premiere/PCI II, but ASUS P/I-P54TP4XE is preferred) or a 486 board that is either Award SiS 496/497 or Rise Computer R418.

Also make sure to use a good enough DOS CD-ROM driver. GSCDROM.SYS seems to work OK with the tertiary IDE controller, as does VIDE-CDD.SYS version 2.15.

PostPost subject: Re: Chicago 73: Fatal "I/O subsystem driver" error        Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
A small update - putting the CD-ROM on the secondary IDE controller also makes Chicago 73f work properly, so I guess it simply does not expect a real mode storage driver using the primary IDE controller's ports. And the secondary IDE controller is also available on mainline PCem.