BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 60d, 3h, 2m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 5079MB of 12191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Where can I find every Windows 98SE update made?        Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:24 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Whistler Build 2416
I have an old 1999 Micron Millennia PC that I recently loaded with a clean install of Windows 98SE. It's been kind of buggy and slow lately even though I added in more RAM, so I guess that it might be the OS since I have no updates AT ALL installed. Are there any ZIP's or RAR's or ISO's with every Windows 98SE update?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find every Windows 98SE update made?        Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:01 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php has a full list of updates. Your best bet, however, is to grab ie6 from his archive, along with the latest Unofficial Service Pack for Windows 98SE. Those two will bring you up to a more modern 98 experience. Aside from that, though, the system could have a faulty hard drive, especially given its age. There's lots of things that could be wrong with the system, and adding updates could just exacerbate those issues.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find every Windows 98SE update made?        Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 pm 
Donator

Run a full scan disk including surface scan and if you get any issues at all a more modern tool to check disk health (like the post above my first thought is bad drive). Since the machines from 1999 its moderately difficult to figure out what the CPU is etc just buy guessing so can you post the system specs?

I personally wouldn't install the unofficial SP unless you have a Pentium 3 / 500 MHZ AMD K6-2 as a minimum with 64MB RAM as anything below this and sometimes the new code can chug the system as it does use some files from newer windows versions in some of the patches they have added. I have installed it on less but you can't use their "performance tweaks" and the system wasn't what I would call 100% happy with it. If you have the RAM then the "performance tweaks option" - which states it requires 64MB minimum will make the system a decent bit more snappy in addition to fixing bugs you may or may not find like you would expect updates to.

Last edited by win98 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find every Windows 98SE update made?        Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:26 pm 

Favourite OS
win98 wrote:
Run a full scan disk / surface and if you get any issues at all a more modern tool to check disk health (like the post above my first thought is bad drive). Since the machines from 1999 its moderately difficult to figure out what the CPU is etc just buy guessing so can you post the system specs?

I personally wouldn't install the unofficial SP unless you have a Pentium 3 / 500 MHZ AMD K6-2 as a minimum with 64MB RAM as anything below this and sometimes the new code can chug the system as it does use some files from newer windows versions in some of the patches they have added. I have installed it on less but you can't use their "performance tweaks" and the system wasn't what I would call 100% happy with it. If you have the RAM then the "performance tweaks option" - which states it requires 64MB minimum will make the system a decent bit more snappy in addition to fixing bugs you may or may not find like you would expect updates to.

I installed an older unofficial updates pack and defragmented the hard drive, the system moderately sped up, but that was about it.

Here are the system specs

Model: Micron Millennia DR737
CPU: Intel Celeron slot 1 466 MHz
GPU: nVidia RIVA 128ZX 8 MB
RAM: 256 MB
HDD: 20 GB

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find every Windows 98SE update made?        Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:00 am 
Donator

Yeah thats enough to at least make some difference I was worried you were working with something that was like 200MHZ. A 466MHZ Celeron will run 98 OK although it really starts to fly once your at the 800MHZ + mark so it may ultimately turn out just to be CPU / Chipset limited.

With that said, heres some things to check since you have such an old system to ensure your getting the max possible performance out of it for 98:
Scandisk including surface scan (kill all running tasks but explorer with ctrl alt del before attempting this) - Make sure the HDD doesn't have bad sectors.

Disable any third party apps in msconfig - if you don't absolutely need it 3rd party stuff that runs all the time causes issues on 9x frequently.

Below this we start looking at hardware specific stuff meaning you will have to start looking at the physical components:

RAM - If you added a stick without removing any to make 256MB try removing the older stick(s) as the memory itself will be physically ancient by now, and so i'd start by removing what was already in there, as that might be whats bad seeing as you added some to try make it quicker.

Beyond this, look for bad capacitors in the system - Google is your friend for this as I am certainly no qualified electronics expert.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find every Windows 98SE update made?        Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:15 am 

Favourite OS
win98 wrote:
Yeah thats enough to at least make some difference I was worried you were working with something that was like 200MHZ. A 466MHZ Celeron will run 98 OK although it really starts to fly once your at the 800MHZ + mark so it may ultimately turn out just to be CPU / Chipset limited.

With that said, heres some things to check since you have such an old system to ensure your getting the max possible performance out of it for 98:
Scandisk including surface scan (kill all running tasks but explorer with ctrl alt del before attempting this) - Make sure the HDD doesn't have bad sectors.

Disable any third party apps in msconfig - if you don't absolutely need it 3rd party stuff that runs all the time causes issues on 9x frequently.

Below this we start looking at hardware specific stuff meaning you will have to start looking at the physical components:

RAM - If you added a stick without removing any to make 256MB try removing the older stick(s) as the memory itself will be physically ancient by now, and so i'd start by removing what was already in there, as that might be whats bad seeing as you added some to try make it quicker.

Beyond this, look for bad capacitors in the system - Google is your friend for this as I am certainly no qualified electronics expert.

I defragmented the hard drive and got another performance boost, which is great!

And I also discovered that my motherboard has the Intel 440BX chipset which supports up to a 1 GHz pentium III, so I'll try upgrading to that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find every Windows 98SE update made?        Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:55 am 
Donator

Probably your best bet although verify your specific motherboard model supports it because back then a chipset supporting a CPU didn't always mean all motherboards with that chipset did. (This still happens now to a degree but its less frequent).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find every Windows 98SE update made?        Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:00 am 

Favourite OS
win98 wrote:
Probably your best bet although verify your specific motherboard model supports it because back then a chipset supporting a CPU didn't always mean all motherboards with that chipset did. (This still happens now to a degree but its less frequent).

I just checked, the maximum CPU my motherboard supports is a 667 MHz Pentium III, which is still good for vintage gaming :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find every Windows 98SE update made?        Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:29 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP
jdaniel125 wrote:
win98 wrote:

I just checked, the maximum CPU my motherboard supports is a 667 MHz Pentium III, which is still good for vintage gaming :D

Offtopic Comment
Can't you just use a VM or software like PCem?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find every Windows 98SE update made?        Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:53 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.5.8
Zacchi4k wrote:
jdaniel125 wrote:

Offtopic Comment

Offtopic Comment
Some people (like me) would prefer to use old OSes on real hardware. Besides PCem currently emulates up to a Pentium MMX but for real hardware, You can use a Pentium III or early Pentium 4 for Windows 9x.

By looking at old posts on this subject I've found this site which has all of the hotfixes and service packs. Most of the links still work. Haven't tested them all. There's also an archive that contains all of the updates in one but for that you'll also need Windows Media Player 9 and Internet Explorer 6 SP1, If I find it I'll link it.

EDIT: Scratch that, I've found it in this post, But the link to download it is dead.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find every Windows 98SE update made?        Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP
MSUser2013 wrote:
Zacchi4k wrote:
jdaniel125 wrote:

Offtopic Comment

Offtopic Comment
Some people (like me) would prefer to use old OSes on real hardware. Besides PCem currently emulates up to a Pentium MMX but for real hardware, You can use a Pentium III or early Pentium 4 for Windows 9x.

By looking at old posts on this subject I've found this site which has all of the hotfixes and service packs. Most of the links still work. Haven't tested them all. There's also an archive that contains all of the updates in one but for that you'll also need Windows Media Player 9 and Internet Explorer 6 SP1, If I find it I'll link it.

EDIT: Scratch that, I've found it in this post, But the link to download it is dead.

MSUser2013: Thanks for the reference to my old post.

Although my post is over two years old, I always expect these types of links to go down in the future, and was prudent at the time to upload them to my FTP:

http://sdfox7.com/win98/Win98Update2006.exe WINDOWS 98SE ONLY!

Internet Explorer 6 SP1 for Windows 98: http://sdfox7.com/ie/win32/IE6SP198.ZIP

Windows Media Player 9 for Windows 98: http://sdfox7.com/win98/MPSetup.exe

Top  Profile