BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 66d, 10h, 36m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5385MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:30 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 8 CP 8250 w/ClassicShell
After I accept the licence agreement, the top left corner of the Windows 95 setup background is covered by the DOS output:
Code:
Remove diskette in drive A:
Insert diskette in drive B:
Press any key to continue...

And no keys do anything to progress. The cursor moves and is an hourglass.

VMware Workstation 12 Player
FreeDOS 1.1 (running the setup)

(I have no MS-DOS except for 8.0 which is useless.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Using FreeDOS to install Windows 9x is a bad idea IMO, as you can't guarantee it will act 100% like the setup expects it too.

You don't even need DOS to install at all anyway. Just use a Windows 95 bootdisk, prepare the drive and start setup. If you still have the same issues it could be a problem with your VM configuration.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:05 pm 

Favourite OS
I have a major roadblock with Win9x. I have no bootdisks for DOS or 9x apart from MS-DOS 8.0. Although, now I think about it, the NT 4.0 beta has a boot disk. I might try that.

It's gotta be more hopeful that what I'm doing now. I have NT 5.0 Beta 2 set up and it bluescreens every time I move the mouse!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
You can get all sorts of bootdisks here.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:19 pm 

Favourite OS
Overdoze wrote:

May I ask on the legality? I'm trying to stay legal (main reason for using betas for experimenting)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
Karzahni wrote:
Overdoze wrote:

May I ask on the legality? I'm trying to stay legal (main reason for using betas for experimenting)

Well, legal or not, you can use those bootdisks in IMG format. and VMware is not so appropriate for running win9x betas (despite the SVGA driver and audio, there's no other support for it)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:32 pm 

Favourite OS
I would normally use VPC 2007 but I only have Linux on my main. I guess I'll have to stick to using betas on my laptop with Win7 and VPC. (Or the old Pentium 4 when I get a spare HDD for it.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- Karzahni: You should try PCem. It can run these Beta's better than Virtual PC. :p

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Karzahni wrote:

Completely legal, the setup even asks you if you want to create a bootdisk, so there's no harm in using one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
Overdoze wrote:
Karzahni wrote:

Completely legal, the setup even asks you if you want to create a bootdisk, so there's no harm in using one.

They ask you to make a bootdisk assuming you have bought the rest of the OS. Hah.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:14 am 

Favourite OS
Yeah I took a look and saw it says that they don't allow you install any Microsoft OS so that's cool. Later today I'll check out PCem on my laptop (The Win version looks better than Linux) and try bookdisks.

I've tried a few things but the bootdisks give me invalid drive specification when I try to access the CD. I can change to the C: drive but not D:

Don't worry, only the 98 one works, but it seems fine (MS-DOS 6 and Win95 musn't have a CD driver)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.5.8
Karzahni wrote:
I've tried a few things but the bootdisks give me invalid drive specification when I try to access the CD. I can change to the C: drive but not D:

Don't worry, only the 98 one works, but it seems fine (MS-DOS 6 and Win95 musn't have a CD driver)

The Windows 95B Boot Disk should have a CD-ROM Driver, But it uses a different drive letter. (Usually R:\) I probably wouldn't recommend installing the Windows 95 RC with a 98 Boot Disk because it could error out and complain about a newer version of Windows already being installed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:21 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Whistler Build 2416
I've noticed that VMware workstation 12 has had a TON of problems with lots of OS'es...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP
I have the boot disks for Windows 95. I don't believe that redistributing free software is illegal. Simply using the software as intended should suffice as legal, but I may be incorrect.

1) You may not decompile/recompile/reverse engineer the existing software. It must remain as-is, untouched, from the distributor.

2) You may not charge for/profit from the software since it is already available freely.

3) All copyright laws are in effect, just as they would be for the copy obtained from the distributor.

Windows 95 Floppy-Based Setup Boot Disk: http://sdfox7.com/win95/BOOT95A.EXE

Windows 95 CD-ROM-Based Setup Boot Disk: http://sdfox7.com/win95/BOOT95B.EXE

MSUser2013 is correct: If you use the CD-ROM based floppy disk, after booting, you need to direct BANANA to R:\WIN95 to view the directories on the CD. If you simply want to begin Windows 95 setup, you will want to type R:\WIN95\SETUP.EXE.

Microsoft Corporation: KB129260: Windows 95 Setup: Description and Troubleshooting Steps

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:27 pm 

Favourite OS
sdfox7 wrote:
I have the boot disks for Windows 95. I don't believe that redistributing free software is illegal. Simply using the software as intended should suffice as legal, but I may be incorrect.

1) You may not decompile/recompile/reverse engineer the existing software. It must remain as-is, untouched, from the distributor.

2) You may not charge for/profit from the software since it is already available freely.

3) All copyright laws are in effect, just as they would be for the copy obtained from the distributor.

Windows 95 Floppy-Based Setup Boot Disk: http://sdfox7.com/win95/BOOT95A.EXE

Windows 95 CD-ROM-Based Setup Boot Disk: http://sdfox7.com/win95/BOOT95B.EXE

MSUser2013 is correct: If you use the CD-ROM based floppy disk, after booting, you need to direct BANANA to R:\WIN95 to view the directories on the CD. If you simply want to begin Windows 95 setup, you will want to type R:\WIN95\SETUP.EXE.

Microsoft Corporation: KB129260: Windows 95 Setup: Description and Troubleshooting Steps

Thanks, I got the boot disks working. I found out that MS-DOS/Win95 use R: for ODD.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:25 am 
FTP Access

Karzahni wrote:

I noticed the problem has already been resolved, but I think I still need to have my input on this...

MS-DOS (keyword: MS-DOS, not Windows 9x) bootdisks generally do NOT have mscdex.exe or any other sort of CD-ROM driver. In that case, you will need to resort to using Windows 9x bootdisks or manually install mscdex (it exists on the FTP as Microsoft MS-DOS CD-ROM Extensions 2.23) on your VM, provided you already have a working copy of MS-DOS on your hard drive.

For Windows 95 RC, using the Windows 95 bootdisk is highly recommended, as newer bootdisks may add extra stuff unsupported by Windows 95 installs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:31 am 

Favourite OS
My MS-DOS 6.22 and Win95 disks from allbootdisks have CD drivers but use R:

I get what I'm doing now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:53 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
DJ Deedahx wrote:
Karzahni wrote:

I noticed the problem has already been resolved, but I think I still need to have my input on this...

MS-DOS (keyword: MS-DOS, not Windows 9x) bootdisks generally do NOT have mscdex.exe or any other sort of CD-ROM driver. In that case, you will need to resort to using Windows 9x bootdisks or manually install mscdex (it exists on the FTP as Microsoft MS-DOS CD-ROM Extensions 2.23) on your VM, provided you already have a working copy of MS-DOS on your hard drive.

For Windows 95 RC, using the Windows 95 bootdisk is highly recommended, as newer bootdisks may add extra stuff unsupported by Windows 95 installs.

This link happens to have a generic LG CD-ROM driver in this tarball which should work for you too. Every time I've installed DOS, these images are used. They also have Windows 3.1 (or WfW 3.11, I'm not sure...), but you have to jump through disks to get files. https://www.kirsle.net/download?type=bin&project=DOS&file=MS-DOS.tar.gz

Top  Profile