BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 66d, 10h, 36m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5385MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:30 am 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:35 am

Posts
106

Favourite OS
Windows 8 CP 8250 w/ClassicShell
After I accept the licence agreement, the top left corner of the Windows 95 setup background is covered by the DOS output:
Code:
Remove diskette in drive A:
Insert diskette in drive B:
Press any key to continue...

And no keys do anything to progress. The cursor moves and is an hourglass.

VMware Workstation 12 Player
FreeDOS 1.1 (running the setup)

(I have no MS-DOS except for 8.0 which is useless.)

_________________
I am a pelican


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:33 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 am

Posts
1626

Location
Slovenia

Favourite OS
5111
Using FreeDOS to install Windows 9x is a bad idea IMO, as you can't guarantee it will act 100% like the setup expects it too.

You don't even need DOS to install at all anyway. Just use a Windows 95 bootdisk, prepare the drive and start setup. If you still have the same issues it could be a problem with your VM configuration.

_________________
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:05 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:35 am

Posts
106

Favourite OS
Windows 8 CP 8250 w/ClassicShell
I have a major roadblock with Win9x. I have no bootdisks for DOS or 9x apart from MS-DOS 8.0. Although, now I think about it, the NT 4.0 beta has a boot disk. I might try that.

It's gotta be more hopeful that what I'm doing now. I have NT 5.0 Beta 2 set up and it bluescreens every time I move the mouse!

_________________
I am a pelican


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:06 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 am

Posts
1626

Location
Slovenia

Favourite OS
5111
You can get all sorts of bootdisks here.

_________________
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:19 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:35 am

Posts
106

Favourite OS
Windows 8 CP 8250 w/ClassicShell
Overdoze wrote:
You can get all sorts of bootdisks here.

May I ask on the legality? I'm trying to stay legal (main reason for using betas for experimenting)

_________________
I am a pelican


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:24 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:11 am

Posts
3535

Location
Italy

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
Karzahni wrote:
Overdoze wrote:
You can get all sorts of bootdisks here.

May I ask on the legality? I'm trying to stay legal (main reason for using betas for experimenting)


Well, legal or not, you can use those bootdisks in IMG format. and VMware is not so appropriate for running win9x betas (despite the SVGA driver and audio, there's no other support for it)

_________________
http://forum.softhistory.org


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:32 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:35 am

Posts
106

Favourite OS
Windows 8 CP 8250 w/ClassicShell
I would normally use VPC 2007 but I only have Linux on my main. I guess I'll have to stick to using betas on my laptop with Win7 and VPC. (Or the old Pentium 4 when I get a spare HDD for it.)

_________________
I am a pelican


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:36 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:13 am

Posts
2017

Location
Slovenia, Central Europe.

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- Karzahni: You should try PCem. It can run these Beta's better than Virtual PC. :p

_________________
Join #softhistory @ RoL IRC, a nice community for true enthusiasts!
Anime channel: #doki-doki @ RoL IRC, Mibbit, KiwiIRC.
The 86Box help channel is #softhistory now!

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.


Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:07 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 am

Posts
1626

Location
Slovenia

Favourite OS
5111
Karzahni wrote:
May I ask on the legality? I'm trying to stay legal (main reason for using betas for experimenting)


Completely legal, the setup even asks you if you want to create a bootdisk, so there's no harm in using one.

_________________
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:34 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:00 am

Posts
633

Location
us

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
Overdoze wrote:
Karzahni wrote:
May I ask on the legality? I'm trying to stay legal (main reason for using betas for experimenting)


Completely legal, the setup even asks you if you want to create a bootdisk, so there's no harm in using one.


They ask you to make a bootdisk assuming you have bought the rest of the OS. Hah.

_________________
Image
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:14 am 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:35 am

Posts
106

Favourite OS
Windows 8 CP 8250 w/ClassicShell
Yeah I took a look and saw it says that they don't allow you install any Microsoft OS so that's cool. Later today I'll check out PCem on my laptop (The Win version looks better than Linux) and try bookdisks.

I've tried a few things but the bootdisks give me invalid drive specification when I try to access the CD. I can change to the C: drive but not D:

Don't worry, only the 98 one works, but it seems fine (MS-DOS 6 and Win95 musn't have a CD driver)

_________________
I am a pelican


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:05 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:08 am

Posts
741

Location
Washington State

Favourite OS
OS X 10.5.8
Karzahni wrote:
I've tried a few things but the bootdisks give me invalid drive specification when I try to access the CD. I can change to the C: drive but not D:

Don't worry, only the 98 one works, but it seems fine (MS-DOS 6 and Win95 musn't have a CD driver)

The Windows 95B Boot Disk should have a CD-ROM Driver, But it uses a different drive letter. (Usually R:\) I probably wouldn't recommend installing the Windows 95 RC with a 98 Boot Disk because it could error out and complain about a newer version of Windows already being installed.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:21 am 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:06 am

Posts
19

Favourite OS
Windows Whistler Build 2416
I've noticed that VMware workstation 12 has had a TON of problems with lots of OS'es...


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:52 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:53 am

Posts
191

Location
United States

Favourite OS
Windows XP
I have the boot disks for Windows 95. I don't believe that redistributing free software is illegal. Simply using the software as intended should suffice as legal, but I may be incorrect.

1) You may not decompile/recompile/reverse engineer the existing software. It must remain as-is, untouched, from the distributor.

2) You may not charge for/profit from the software since it is already available freely.

3) All copyright laws are in effect, just as they would be for the copy obtained from the distributor.

Windows 95 Floppy-Based Setup Boot Disk: http://sdfox7.com/win95/BOOT95A.EXE

Windows 95 CD-ROM-Based Setup Boot Disk: http://sdfox7.com/win95/BOOT95B.EXE

MSUser2013 is correct: If you use the CD-ROM based floppy disk, after booting, you need to direct BANANA to R:\WIN95 to view the directories on the CD. If you simply want to begin Windows 95 setup, you will want to type R:\WIN95\SETUP.EXE.

Microsoft Corporation: KB129260: Windows 95 Setup: Description and Troubleshooting Steps

_________________
ThinkPad 600E, T23, T41, T61p. ASUS X555 A12 Quad Core 16GB RAM Win10/Win7
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:27 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:35 am

Posts
106

Favourite OS
Windows 8 CP 8250 w/ClassicShell
sdfox7 wrote:
I have the boot disks for Windows 95. I don't believe that redistributing free software is illegal. Simply using the software as intended should suffice as legal, but I may be incorrect.

1) You may not decompile/recompile/reverse engineer the existing software. It must remain as-is, untouched, from the distributor.

2) You may not charge for/profit from the software since it is already available freely.

3) All copyright laws are in effect, just as they would be for the copy obtained from the distributor.

Windows 95 Floppy-Based Setup Boot Disk: http://sdfox7.com/win95/BOOT95A.EXE

Windows 95 CD-ROM-Based Setup Boot Disk: http://sdfox7.com/win95/BOOT95B.EXE

MSUser2013 is correct: If you use the CD-ROM based floppy disk, after booting, you need to direct BANANA to R:\WIN95 to view the directories on the CD. If you simply want to begin Windows 95 setup, you will want to type R:\WIN95\SETUP.EXE.

Microsoft Corporation: KB129260: Windows 95 Setup: Description and Troubleshooting Steps


Thanks, I got the boot disks working. I found out that MS-DOS/Win95 use R: for ODD.

_________________
I am a pelican


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:25 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Posts
467
Karzahni wrote:
Don't worry, only the 98 one works, but it seems fine (MS-DOS 6 and Win95 musn't have a CD driver)


I noticed the problem has already been resolved, but I think I still need to have my input on this...

MS-DOS (keyword: MS-DOS, not Windows 9x) bootdisks generally do NOT have mscdex.exe or any other sort of CD-ROM driver. In that case, you will need to resort to using Windows 9x bootdisks or manually install mscdex (it exists on the FTP as Microsoft MS-DOS CD-ROM Extensions 2.23) on your VM, provided you already have a working copy of MS-DOS on your hard drive.

For Windows 95 RC, using the Windows 95 bootdisk is highly recommended, as newer bootdisks may add extra stuff unsupported by Windows 95 installs.

_________________
86Box Power User & Configuration Tester
Now known as DDX on most places on the Internet.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:31 am 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:35 am

Posts
106

Favourite OS
Windows 8 CP 8250 w/ClassicShell
My MS-DOS 6.22 and Win95 disks from allbootdisks have CD drivers but use R:

I get what I'm doing now.

_________________
I am a pelican


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 95 RC won't install        Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:53 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:59 pm

Posts
355

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
DJ Deedahx wrote:
Karzahni wrote:
Don't worry, only the 98 one works, but it seems fine (MS-DOS 6 and Win95 musn't have a CD driver)


I noticed the problem has already been resolved, but I think I still need to have my input on this...

MS-DOS (keyword: MS-DOS, not Windows 9x) bootdisks generally do NOT have mscdex.exe or any other sort of CD-ROM driver. In that case, you will need to resort to using Windows 9x bootdisks or manually install mscdex (it exists on the FTP as Microsoft MS-DOS CD-ROM Extensions 2.23) on your VM, provided you already have a working copy of MS-DOS on your hard drive.

For Windows 95 RC, using the Windows 95 bootdisk is highly recommended, as newer bootdisks may add extra stuff unsupported by Windows 95 installs.

This link happens to have a generic LG CD-ROM driver in this tarball which should work for you too. Every time I've installed DOS, these images are used. They also have Windows 3.1 (or WfW 3.11, I'm not sure...), but you have to jump through disks to get files. https://www.kirsle.net/download?type=bin&project=DOS&file=MS-DOS.tar.gz


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2020

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS