BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 63d, 2h, 52m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 5160MB of 12070MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: 86duino and 9x        Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:01 pm 

Anyone ever heard of the 86duino? It's an arduino-compatible minicomputer based on the Vortex86EX. It's got a 300MHz CPU, 128 megs of RAM, SD card and SATA for storage, and is known to run Windows , FreeDOS and Lubuntu. That said, by default it doesn't have any graphics, but there is a tiny 1024x768x16 VGA card available for it. I am wondering: will it also run Windows 95(B)/98(SE)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 86duino and 9x        Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4 and XP SP3
ColonelPhantom wrote:
Anyone ever heard of the 86duino? It's an arduino-compatible minicomputer based on the Vortex86EX. It's got a 300MHz CPU, 128 megs of RAM, SD card and SATA for storage, and is known to run Windows , FreeDOS and Lubuntu. That said, by default it doesn't have any graphics, but there is a tiny 1024x768x16 VGA card available for it. I am wondering: will it also run Windows 95(B)/98(SE)?

Maybe. But be forewarned, that if Windows 98 does indeed installed, you might have absolutely NO drivers for it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 86duino and 9x        Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
They all blow
Looks interesting, however use cases will be quite limited.

Audio: ALC262 - This is a HD audio codec, you won't find DOS/win9x drivers for this, all remaining legacy support was finally dropped with HDA, the little that late AC97 chips still had in them.
You might be able to bitbang some of the I/O to handle really quirky communication with audio, like covox or some FM since ISA itself is rather simple, this is the most curious part of it but it would need loads of custom tailored stuff and perhaps a constantly running TSR under DOS the very least.

Video: Pretty sure that this supports some degree of VESA tweakmodes, UNIVBE/similar might be required for certain games. There are generic purpose VESA drivers for 9x that are better than the stock driver, while allowing higher res/bit depth. Work universally with a lot of chips.
You might have poor success with games and demos that use VGA raster ticks or tweakmodes.

Experience will be similar to what you get with netbooks, You'll get together a working OS but you will lack all the good stuff from that time.
However, It has a bunch of potential for expansions due to the easy breadboard and plenty of I/O and simplicity of DOS

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 86duino and 9x        Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2222A
Although I haven't tried it, I would assume SATA may be another roadblock... but I may be wrong. Haven't researched if there are Win9x drivers for SATA.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 86duino and 9x        Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
what about a N lited version of Windows xp?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 86duino and 9x        Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:26 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
98SE++
pool7 wrote:
Although I haven't tried it, I would assume SATA may be another roadblock... but I may be wrong. Haven't researched if there are Win9x drivers for SATA.

I have developed Patches to the Windows 9x Hard Disk Driver to support SATA.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 86duino and 9x        Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:25 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Always wanted to buy one of these, but when second-hand desktops are on eBay delivered for <$30 I don't see a reason too. Unless you need a small size, but even then one of those cheap Baytrail-based mini-pcs or even a Windows tablet would be better.
Of course, it has better I/O capabilities, but if you want a cheap PC, there are far better options availible

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: 86duino and 9x        Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:53 am 

Favourite OS
DOS
Mpxplay v1.60 for DOS works with both the ALC662 and ALC892.
Perhaps it will work with the ALC262.

Last edited by watler on Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 86duino and 9x        Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:03 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP
rloew wrote:
pool7 wrote:

Well, I think Win9x uses the BIOS for disk access, so there is no need to develop such a driver.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 86duino and 9x        Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:55 pm 

winlego3210 wrote:
rloew wrote:
pool7 wrote:

Well, I think Win9x uses the BIOS for disk access, so there is no need to develop such a driver.

Only in "Failsafe Mode", which is slow as hell. In performance mode it will use a protected mode port driver called Esdi_506.pdr, which is akin to the older win311 fastdisk 32bit drivers, *WDCTRL, but only contains the necessary code to drive the IDE controllers, and is the architecture used in all 9x windows versions since 95.

So there's a need to implement these drivers in native mostly for performance reasons, and also to remove dependence in BIOS and its bugs that plague all the new BIOS/UEFI implementations.

PD: Guys, please search in Google at least before posting an answer please :-P.

Top  Profile