BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 63d, 3h, 19m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 5154MB of 12070MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OpenNT
Windows 95 OSR2.5 was my favorite OS back in the 90's I was using WfW 3,11, then I bought new sound card and 3,11 can't find drivers, I upgraded to 95 and I was very happy when I heard sound at fist boot.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:23 pm 

Me too like Windows 95. I remember when I use that OS in primary school in 2004/05. We've got PC's with Pentium I/90 MHz and 64 MB RAM. For comparison, my first PC from 2001 with Pentium II/450 MHz and 256 MB RAM had got a Windows XP...

Happy birthday Windows 95 ;-).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:59 am 

I wonder if schools ever did go to windows 98 or just go straight to windows 2000 or to windows xp

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:15 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2222A
Depends on each school, country, etc.
The school I went to had some MS-DOS computers, Windows 98 computers, and Windows 2000 computers at a time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:18 pm 

pool7 wrote:
Depends on each school, country, etc.
The school I went to had some MS-DOS computers, Windows 98 computers, and Windows 2000 computers at a time.

where I am in the uk, the two schools I went to, started to retire the MS-DOS and windows 3.11 machines for Windows 95 machines. which I think that may have been due to the internet coming into play, as one school I did go to, never had it in. That school were still using the RM based networks that were DOS based and windows 3.11. The tech was starting to bin those networks off. Windows 95 on 486 pcs I think those may have been the highest spec pcs the school even had at the time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:31 am 
Donator

Procta wrote:
I wonder if schools ever did go to windows 98 or just go straight to windows 2000 or to windows xp

It depended on where you were as others have said but also funding. When I was in elementary / primary school it was quite a small school so every machine was Windows 98 bar 1 which ran 95 and two others which both ran DOS (I think both were 6.22 but one had Windows for Workgroups and the other had like nothing other than some weird games. This was still the case when I left in 2005 and the next school I went to had heaps of 2000 machines but these got upgraded to XP over my time there and my high school / college as its called over here had XP from when I started to I graduated in 2012 and they were testing win7 on the student machines and deployed it on some funny 4 users 1 machine "Extenda" terminals. At University where I am now, everything runs Windows 7 which is fair as they have the budget to do it (and I think adopted it quite early) and its kind of required these days due to how out of date XP is, though I suspect 10 might get deployed in due course.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:40 pm 

win98 wrote:
Procta wrote:

It depended on where you were as others have said but also funding. When I was in elementary / primary school it was quite a small school so every machine was Windows 98 bar 1 which ran 95 and two others which both ran DOS (I think both were 6.22 but one had Windows for Workgroups and the other had like nothing other than some weird games. This was still the case when I left in 2005 and the next school I went to had heaps of 2000 machines but these got upgraded to XP over my time there and my high school / college as its called over here had XP from when I started to I graduated in 2012 and they were testing win7 on the student machines and deployed it on some funny 4 users 1 machine "Extenda" terminals. At University where I am now, everything runs Windows 7 which is fair as they have the budget to do it (and I think adopted it quite early) and its kind of required these days due to how out of date XP is, though I suspect 10 might get deployed in due course.

I think everything in the university in my city, I think runs windows 7 as they didn't really bother looking at vista, my mate who works there said they tested vista, but decided to wait for windows 7, I will have to ask him if they will push for windows 8 or windows 10.
college were still running windows 95, but they switched the OS to windows 2000 with in a few months of us been there. I think they binned off the novell netware server and just went windows 2000 based instead.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:21 pm 
Temporarily Banned

Favourite OS
OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL
I've never used 95, I skipped to 98 because windows 98 is so cool

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
DallasCHVN wrote:

To be honest: Windows 98 sucks, even for it's time. Then only things it actually was better at doing during it's time was crash a lot, get viruses, and play games that required DirectX.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:02 pm 
Temporarily Banned

Favourite OS
OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL
MrFreeman wrote:
DallasCHVN wrote:

To be honest: Windows 98 sucks, even for it's time. Then only things it actually was better at doing during it's time was crash a lot, get viruses, and play games that required DirectX.

Yes, 98 was the best for games although it crashed easily. At least it's better than Windows Me

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:55 am 

MrFreeman wrote:
DallasCHVN wrote:

I found windows 98 to be the worst operating system in all the ones I ran. I found windows 95 to be more stable for some reason, but that was only on until I could get windows xp.
Windows Me I couldn't not get that to work well at all, so every system that I came cross with that on, were just pushed onto Windows XP.
NT4 mind really rocks! As that really showed me the way for networking, Windows 95 was the very 1st os that I installed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:04 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
98SE++
I've actually found Windows 98 (in particular 98SE) to be more stable than practically anything else, except DOS maybe.
With a little help that I provided, it runs on hardware ranging over almost a 20 Year period.
I have solved the biggest issues such as Maximum File, RAM and Hard Disk Size, SATA etc. I have added APIs for 64-Bit RAM and Multiple Cores.
I am posting on it right now.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:27 pm 

rloew wrote:
I've actually found Windows 98 (in particular 98SE) to be more stable than practically anything else, except DOS maybe.
With a little help that I provided, it runs on hardware ranging over almost a 20 Year period.
I have solved the biggest issues such as Maximum File, RAM and Hard Disk Size, SATA etc. I have added APIs for 64-Bit RAM and Multiple Cores.

how did you do all that? are there others on here that do that sort of thing for the older OSes?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:00 pm 
Temporarily Banned

Favourite OS
OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL
Procta wrote:
rloew wrote:

how did you do all that? are there others on here that do that sort of thing for the older OSes?

You should see what I can do with Microsoft Bob. I got it working on Windows 10. I'm pretty much the only one who knows the secret (I'm not talking about emulation either)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP
Procta wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:
DallasCHVN wrote:

I found windows 98 to be the worst operating system in all the ones I ran. I found windows 95 to be more stable for some reason, but that was only on until I could get windows xp.
Windows Me I couldn't not get that to work well at all, so every system that I came cross with that on, were just pushed onto Windows XP.
NT4 mind really rocks! As that really showed me the way for networking, Windows 95 was the very 1st os that I installed.

I think a key issue with Windows 98 is that it contained the Active Desktop web interface, at a time when computers were ill-equipped to run it. Many computers at the time, unless they were new, simply did not have the horsepower to run the added overhead.

Computers sold from 1995 through 1997 were expensive, and many of them were sold with Pentium processors with 32MB RAM and pokey 4200rpm hard disk drives, which, in my opinion, did not have nearly enough power necessary to run Windows 98 as well as Windows 95 or NT 4.0.

I think computers sold from 1998 (Pentium II) through 2001 (Pentium III/IV) contained the optimal hardware to run the OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Happy 20th Birthday Windows 95        Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
98SE++
Procta wrote:
rloew wrote:

I have been reverse engineering Windows 98SE for over a decade. You can see my work on my website at rloew1.no-ip.com or review my discussions on the MSFN Forum.
There are a few others that work on 98SE and some on other OSes. The MSFN Forum is a good place to go for information.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2