BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 66d, 23h, 10m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 5364MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Basically, I have tried to install these builds on Virtualbox 5.0.0 with no success. When starting the setup, either from a DOS boot disk or a Windows 95 build, I get the following error (this screen is from 1559's MSDOS setup):

I have used the basic Windows 95 config (with 64MB RAM) with these builds, set the BIOS time, and disabled all hardware virtualization. Here are the basic specs of the host:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.4GHz
RAM: 16 GB

NOTE: Please do not tell me to use any other virtualization host (unless I have no other choice). In my system, VB is the best performer for running older Windows builds, and I intend to install most of them on VB. Also, this error does not happen on any Windows 95 build.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:43 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 1.0 DR5
I have same problem with Memphis betas builds on VirtualBox.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:11 pm 
FTP Access

In my opinion, VMware's write speeds may be a little slower but overall, it's better than VirtualBox at running older builds. I tried 1559 in VBox 5 right now and I can't find any config that would make it work

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Lukas Marsik wrote:
In my opinion, VMware's write speeds may be a little slower but overall, it's better than VirtualBox at running older builds. I tried 1559 in VBox 5 right now and I can't find any config that would make it work

Oh well, guess I'll have to use VMware for the 9x builds then. Thanks for trying out 1559 on VB 5 though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Betas
If you dont have a compatible machine to use VPC, VMWare is good

EDIT: Memphis is Best in VPC

Last edited by johnleakedfan on Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:21 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 1.0 DR5
Windows 95 beta can run on VirtualBox with not problem.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win95C & Win98SE
I've seen similar problems when trying to run Memphis 1387 on a machine with an AMD Athlon X64 X2 processor. It does not show up on a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition system though, so I chalked it up to being some weird incompatibility with AMD, but since you're seeing it on an Intel machine it may be something else. Unfortunately I have no idea what to do about it, other than to run SETUP on another machine, then remove all devices from the Device Manager in Safe Mode, and then transfer the system back to the original machine and allow devices to be redetected. This works on real hardware, never tried it on a VM, but it should theoretically be possible. I believe the problem is somewhere in SETUP.EXE rather than in the actual OS build.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
This error happens in every virtualizer and emulator except for VPC and VMware and it is indeed winsetup.bin's fault.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
TheCollector1988 wrote:
This error happens in every virtualizer and emulator except for VPC and VMware and it is indeed winsetup.bin's fault.

So, can anyone tell me which builds exhibit this problem, other than the ones in the range of 1518-1559? I would be thankful if you did that,

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
3.11 WfW, 98SE, 5.1.2464, LH4001
*Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64*
Well, I downloaded 1559 and what I discovered:
- this error doesn't show when Hardware Virtualization is turned on
- video driver in 3.1 part is buggy, it takes many attempts to manage copying files - as all 9x builds
- second part of installation gave me this (T-12):
I tested with I/O APIC on and off, installing from MS-DOS and upgrading from 95B.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win95C & Win98SE
The early ACPI implementations in the various Memphis Betas are all buggy to some extent. Some of them even give "Red Screens of Death" when installing. I solved this by extracting MACHINE.INF from the CABs and commenting out every line in it that has anything to do with ACPI. Then place this MACHINE.INF in the same folder with the CABs when installing. This forces the builds to run with the older 95-style Advanced Power Management (APM) rather than ACPI. Sometimes not all devices will be detected once you reach the Desktop, and you may have to manually install "PCI Bus" which is a system device that causes all other devices to be enumerated and installed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
LoneCrusader wrote:
The early ACPI implementations in the various Memphis Betas are all buggy to some extent. Some of them even give "Red Screens of Death" when installing. I solved this by extracting MACHINE.INF from the CABs and commenting out every line in it that has anything to do with ACPI. Then place this MACHINE.INF in the same folder with the CABs when installing. This forces the builds to run with the older 95-style Advanced Power Management (APM) rather than ACPI. Sometimes not all devices will be detected once you reach the Desktop, and you may have to manually install "PCI Bus" which is a system device that causes all other devices to be enumerated and installed.

I got it working (minus a decent video driver, can anyone help me find one?) in VMware by disabling ACPI. Thanks for this workaround though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win95C & Win98SE
The VMware driver for Windows 95/98 should work fine with any Memphis build. Try installing the 9x VMware tools, or if you want, try extracting the VMX_SVGA.INF, VMX_SVGA.DRV, and VMX_SVGA.VXD files from the VMware tools package and use them if you don't want the rest installed. If this doesn't work there is always VBEMP9X.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:50 pm 
FTP Access

Welp, looks like I spoke too soon, a few tinkering attempts later, I installed the OS in one go successfully :D
Everything works fine, video, sound, network, you name it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
LoneCrusader wrote:
The VMware driver for Windows 95/98 should work fine with any Memphis build. Try installing the 9x VMware tools, or if you want, try extracting the VMX_SVGA.INF, VMX_SVGA.DRV, and VMX_SVGA.VXD files from the VMware tools package and use them if you don't want the rest installed. If this doesn't work there is always VBEMP9X.

I tried the one from 4.5.3, 5.0.0, 5.5.9, 6.0.5 and 11.0.0. All of them have problem with 1559. VBEMP9X (the latest version) has 1559 go into a BSoD.

@Lukas: Can you post a tutorial for this? I would be greatly appreciated. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:48 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win95C & Win98SE
Courage wrote:
I tried the one from 4.5.3, 5.0.0, 5.5.9, 6.0.5 and 11.0.0. All of them have problem with 1559. VBEMP9X (the latest version) has 1559 go into a BSoD.

Is the problem with VMware tools or with the driver by itself?

Try the version of VBEMP from 2010, it's the last one I have actually used myself. What is the BSoD? I have seen crashes when trying to install this driver but usually a reboot clears it and it ends up working.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
LoneCrusader wrote:
Courage wrote:

Is the problem with VMware tools or with the driver by itself?

Try the version of VBEMP from 2010, it's the last one I have actually used myself. What is the BSoD? I have seen crashes when trying to install this driver but usually a reboot clears it and it ends up working.

The problems are with the driver. It says my display isn't configured correctly. Also, the same VBEMP version I used produced a BSoD in 1691 (but worked after a reboot), but in 1559 it does not work at all. (AKA I can't get into Windows without Safe Mode.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:38 am 
FTP Access

Courage wrote:
Use Hyper-V as the paravirtualization interface, enable VT-x/AMD-V, disable ACPI

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Lukas Marsik wrote:
Courage wrote:
Use Hyper-V as the paravirtualization interface, enable VT-x/AMD-V, disable ACPI

Just one problem: I also have VMware on my system, and Hyper-V and VMware are not mutually compatible. That means I'll have to install 1559 in VMware.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:27 pm 
FTP Access

Courage wrote:
Just one problem: I also have VMware on my system, and Hyper-V and VMware are not mutually compatible. That means I'll have to install 1559 in VMware.
No need for that. Just select Hyper-V from the dropdown box in VBox, that's it, for some reason it makes it work for me

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Memphis 15xx & Virtualbox 5        Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:59 pm 
FTP Access

Lukas Marsik wrote:
No need for that. Just select Hyper-V from the dropdown box in VBox, that's it, for some reason it makes it work for me

Just clarifying what Lukas had to say:

Go to your VM's settings, and click the System area. Move over to the Acceleration tab, and you will see a Paravirtualization Interface drop-down box. Some choices are Legacy, Hyper-V, KVM, etc.

Top  Profile