Win ME MSDN?

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
dirtwarrior
FTP Access

Post by dirtwarrior »

It just needs 1 file I am not sure what file it need or where to put it, yhen it would be unattended,
PM KO he might lend a hand.

tpemail
FTP Access

Post by tpemail »

empireum wrote:Well, that's what I think, too!

By the way: I especially like Asian language versions of Windows (or any other operating system). Although I don't understand any of these languages, it's still great having an OS in them Especially Japanese and Chinese. Would anybody else be interested?
I just uploaded a bunch of (near 4GBs of) Chinese and some Japanese stuff(both OSes and Applications) onto Andy's FTP and he just moved them.

Also the Chinese Office97 beta I mentioned before is also avaliable now
If you want more details you can PM me or add my MSN account.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Great, will have a look.
I have Japanese and Chinese versions of Windows 3.x, 95(b) and NT 3.50/3.51, Japanese versions of NT 4.0, 2000, and 2003, and a Traditional Chinese version of XP Pro (just like you)

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

I got an old laptop recently, and am installing this version of ME onto it right now (it's taking forever!). The bootability makes it so much better, especially as there's no floppy with this laptop (who wants to mess around with floppies anyway?). I also put 98SE on the CD before burning it, as ME's getting the boot if it starts crashing like its reputation says it will, or if it's too slow!

I think someone should make one of these CDs with all the classic versions of Windows on (say 95C, 98SE, ME, NT4 - they should all fit on one disc if you delete all the junk – you could even put an update package for each OS on if you know how to make one and they would all fit) and options in the boot menu to install all of them (I don't know how to change the boot menu, so to install 98SE from the CD I made you have to select the DOS with CD support option and then type the path - there's only an option to go straight into ME setup in the menu).

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

I got an old laptop recently, and am installing this version of ME onto it right now (it's taking forever!). The bootability makes it so much better, especially as there's no floppy with this laptop (who wants to mess around with floppies anyway?). I also put 98SE on the CD before burning it, as ME's getting the boot if it starts crashing like its reputation says it will, or if it's too slow!
My father once had a laptop with a P200 and 32MB of RAM, he bought it second hand, and the previous owner decided to bless it with ME – with only 32MB of RAM. That was dog slow...
I think someone should make one of these CDs with all the classic versions of Windows on (say 95C, 98SE, ME, NT4 - they should all fit on one disc if you delete all the junk – you could even put an update package for each OS on if you know how to make one and they would all fit) and options in the boot menu to install all of them (I don't know how to change the boot menu, so to install 98SE from the CD I made you have to select the DOS with CD support option and then type the path - there's only an option to go straight into ME setup in the menu).
Yes, they should fit if you copy only the setup folders. Modifying the boot menu is no problem, it's just a matter of messing around with the config.sys and autoexec.bat files. (Ah, thinking about my old DOS days almost makes me cry – because I was a real DOS freak and fan then).

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

empireum wrote:My father once had a laptop with a P200 and 32MB of RAM, he bought it second hand, and the previous owner decided to bless it with ME – with only 32MB of RAM. That was dog slow...
It's not as bad as what was on my-new old laptop before I "blessed it with ME" - an ancient installation of 95 (I think the original one), and as we know 9x gets slower the older it gets, and on top of that it even had some adware running! Yuck!

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

It's not as bad as what was on my-new old laptop before I "blessed it with ME" - an ancient installation of 95 (I think the original one), and as we know 9x gets slower the older it gets, and on top of that it even had some adware running! Yuck!
That sounds slow. I was able to convince my father to reinstall Win95 on the laptop and that made it run considerably faster. And as that thing did nothing more than running Office applications while never being connected to the Internet, I didn't have any serious problems with decreasing performance or something like that.

moonlit
FTP Access

Post by moonlit »

A little OT but I think the best thing I've ever seen was an nLited early build of Longhorn on my 233MHz PII lappy w/32MB RAM

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

What build was it, do you remember?

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

i'd say 3683 as i think later builds switched to the install type they have now. Maybe 4008 still used installation method xp uses

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Good tip! Might try this out.

moonlit
FTP Access

Post by moonlit »

If my CD labelling if half as good as it should be it was build 3704 ^_^

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

only 21 builds out

benny1091
FTP Access

Windows ME Stinks

Post by benny1091 »

Windows ME is really unstable, and is merely windows 98 with system restore and movie maker. It was meant to compete with Mac OS X 10.0, which wasnt very great either. Get sumthin better, like Windows 2000 or NT4 or XP, but not vista if u plan on usin this on a daily basis. It will make you lose a lot of hair. And all microsoft ever gave for support was PEBKAC, even in their help files.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

I don't agree that ME was meant as the competitor for Mac OS X 10.0. OS X 10.0, which was indeed not a great OS (a typical "first version" in my eyes) was meant to be the competitor to Windows 2000. A "typical" comparison of NT and Unix.

___
Donator

Re: Windows ME Stinks

Post by ___ »

benny1091 wrote:Windows ME is really unstable, and is merely windows 98 with system restore and movie maker. It was meant to compete with Mac OS X 10.0, which wasnt very great either. Get sumthin better, like Windows 2000 or NT4 or XP, but not vista if u plan on usin this on a daily basis. It will make you lose a lot of hair. And all microsoft ever gave for support was PEBKAC, even in their help files.
PEBKAC?

I think ME was meant to be a home version of 2000 than a competitor to OS X as 2000 was meant to be available to home users

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

ME was meant as a home OS and the look&feel of Windows 2000 should make it appear "more modern". Technically, it was little more than Windows 98, though. Windows 2000 Professional was not meant as a home OS. A "classic" NT version never was IMHO.