BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 19h, 31m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 2513MB of 6103MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Me        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Recently, I have reinstalled Windows Me onto a virtual machine using Microsoft's Virtual Machine 2007. It runs fine, except the fact that I can't surf the internet or anything like that because Me refuses to recognize my DSL modem. (I guess it's a little too old.)

I don't understand why everyone claims that Me is such a terrible operating system. I've used it back in 2000, and although, yes, I have gotten more BSODs with that OS than any other OS I've tried and installed, I liked it a lot; especially for its feature set. Web TV, Windows Media Player, all those nice things...

I feel so nostalgic just running Windows Me!

Anyone with an old copy of Windows Me here? If so, perhaps you should download a copy of Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 and try it again. (Be warned, however, you might not be able to surf the internet on it.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:22 am 
Donator

I haven't really messed with ME, nor attempted to try and surf the net on a virtual PC, I tend to mess things up with my connection, I tried in VMWare and it just caused lots of disconnections, I will mess with it some more perhaps try ME on it to see where I can get to, but I am using wireless so I dunno how good it will do. But I remember there is a site that can idetnify unknown drivers, have you tried the Unknown device identifier ?

http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html it is a free program that can identify any piece of software and model of it etc, you should give it a try.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I tried VMWare, but it always never recognizes any of the virtual machines I set up in Virtual PC. Pity, it seems that VMWare has a much larger feature set and is presented in a nicer way than Virtual PC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:38 am 
Donator

I tried it, its nice, but takes up a lot of space, for some of their virtual machines, I may use it to study Suse Linux and whenever I get some beta copies of Whistler I will mess with them as well, but Virtual PC is pretty simple, I set up a Windows 3.11 VHD for some experimentation, to see if there was some sort of commodore stuff on it as the disks were OEM Commodore disks but had Windows 3.11 on them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:51 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Well, no doubt, it's simplicity is a key feature. VMWare doesn't even have any options to boot from the ISO.

Crap, I can't install Windows 95 on this!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:50 pm 
Donator

I rarely use Isos, the most unsettling thing is that the last time I did a disk image for Suse 10.2 it took 4 GB of disk space, but I may just use Virtual PC or see what Parallelis workstation is like.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:43 pm 
Donator

Windows ME seemed to suck in the day that it was shipped on new selling machines. But running it a VM and even a P3 800, I can see noticable differences in speed... for the better. And in 95/98, bringing up a DOS window was the sure start to a blue screen. Qith ME, Im confident, at least in a VM, Ill get no blue screens.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:32 pm 
Donator

XX55XX wrote:
Well, no doubt, it's simplicity is a key feature. VMWare doesn't even have any options to boot from the ISO.

Of course does VMware support ISO images, it can also boot from them, you just have to configure it correctly in the CD/DVD settings. VMware is not as simple as VPC, but it's way more powerful.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
empireum wrote:
XX55XX wrote:

Of course does VMware support ISO images, it can also boot from them, you just have to configure it correctly in the CD/DVD settings. VMware is not as simple as VPC, but it's way more powerful.

Also, Since it's 95, is it a bootable disk? You might need a a boot floppy.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Ah yes. Indeed I need some kind of boot disk. I have forgotten that over the last decade, with the advent of Autoplay and such.

Problem is, I personally lack a floppy drive. Although I still have plenty of blank floppy disks around however.

Also, I have managed to even get the internet working on this virtual machine! It's awesome surfing the web on IE 5.5. Reminds me of the old days.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:47 pm 
FTP Access

hounsell wrote:
empireum wrote:
XX55XX wrote:

Also, Since it's 95, is it a bootable disk? You might need a a boot floppy.

VMWare works also with bootable Disks. If you need a bootable Diskette for Windows 95, just look here http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:03 am 
FTP Access

Yes, your boot floppy for VPC/VMware doesn't have to be a real floppy, if you don't have a floppy drive. Just download an image of the appropriate boot floppy and then point VPC or VMware at that image, and they will boot from it, then you can install Windows 95.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I've been searching around the internet for Windows 95 IMA files, but no luck... All I found were executables that allow you to create such files.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:44 am 
Donator

XX55XX wrote:
I've been searching around the internet for Windows 95 IMA files, but no luck... All I found were executables that allow you to create such files.

Get this one:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/downloads/zipfiles/win98btcd.exe
It's a Windows 98 boot disk with FAT32 support and CD-ROM drivers. This is a WinImage self-extracting image. Open it in WinImage and save it as an uncompressed (important!) floppy image (.IMA extension). Then you can use it with VMware and the like.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:03 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Thanks! I was going crazy trying to find IMA files! It works!

Windows 95 here I come!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:26 am 
Donator

XX55XX wrote:
Thanks! I was going crazy trying to find IMA files! It works!

Windows 95 here I come!

No problem. I had the same problem earlier trying to find a set of the 3 NT4 Server boot floppies and this method helped me out of the trouble. God bless WinImage. :D

Just a hint: If you're installing Windows 95 (the original one) or 95a, remember not to create a FAT32 partition (which Win98's fdisk will do by default) as 95(a) can't deal with them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:04 pm 
FTP Access

and also don't format your HDD with a Win98 Floppy, it will format your drive into FAT32 (doesnt work if you use Windows 95(a).) The Win95 Bootdisk from Bootdisk.com has also CDROM Support, so you can use the Win95 Disk.

If you want to use a OSR 2 Version, just copy the CD to your HDD (i.e. C:\Setup) and start it from your HDD, I had some problems with the OSR2 Version of Win95

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:16 pm 
Donator

Tiberiu wrote:
and also don't format your HDD with a Win98 Floppy, it will format your drive into FAT32 (doesnt work if you use Windows 95(a).) The Win95 Bootdisk from Bootdisk.com has also CDROM Support, so you can use the Win95 Disk.

This is exactly what I wrote in my previous post. Didn't you bother to read? You can disable the FAT32 autoformat with "fdisk /x" and then say "N" to the first question appearing after running fdisk. The disk from bootdisk.com is probably in a non-WinImage format and thus can't be easily converted into a disk image, and that is what he needs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:26 pm 
FTP Access

The Disks from bootimage.com are WinImage Files, exe files which extract the files on a:\, but you can extract the exe files with WinRar and you will get a ima file. Maybe you get a error message from winrar ... just ignore becausethe extracted ima file will work

Top  Profile