BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 10h, 3m | CPU: 51% | MEM: 5557MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: What the ProductType values mean        Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
You might have seen sites referring to a ProductType value. One place where you will see a reference is my tutorial to 'install Windows 95 without a serial number'. Now I will tell you what it all means:

Windows 95 (all versions)

ProductType=1

Is found on Windows CDs where the license is specially bought (or certain cracked versions). The Windows 95 CDs using this ProductType are a special colour (brown in Europe). With this entry Windows Setup does not ask for a serial number or CD-Key & does not check for a previous installation of Windows.

ProductType=2

Asks for CD-Key.

ProductType=3

Found on floppy versions of Win95 and does not work on CD versions. (Changing 3 to 1 on a floppy version will probably let you change the username and company if they are locked for editing)

ProductType=4

Fails with error message 'previous operating system installed'

ProductType=5

Asks for CD-Key but won't take any valid keys. You can hit ignore and install will continue.

ProductType=6

Same as ProductType=2 .

ProductType=7

Works on Windows 95 original & Windows 95 OSR1, for OSR2.x it is the same as ProductType=4 .

ProductType=8

Same as ProductType=4 .

ProductType=9

The 'default' value. Setup asks for a serial number and will not let you skip it.

TERMS: 'CD-Key' means a xxx-xxxxxxx key. 'Serial number' means OEM key (xxxxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxx)

Windows 98/98SE/ME

ProductType=2

Windows 98/ME update CD.

ProductType-9

Windows 98/ME OEM CD.

Hope you find this useful,
The Distractor

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:32 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
What's more interesting is the fact that deep inside of the Windows XP registry, the ProductType key is still used. I found this today, while removing corrupt video drivers on a customer's system.

location for XP: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions

I have no idea what changing the options within there would do. I don't want to find out on my main machine, but I will fool around with the settings within a VM sometime.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:34 am 
Donator

you cannot modify this values... they are protected by windows. THe productSuite key shows Windows if it is Pro or home, if there is Personal, you have home, if there is nothing you have pro...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:45 am 
Donator

Ludacris wrote:
you cannot modify this values... they are protected by windows. THe productSuite key shows Windows if it is Pro or home, if there is Personal, you have home, if there is nothing you have pro...

Actually you can modify them if you boot into another NT OS and load the hive of the primary one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:07 am 
FTP Access

This would be like using TweakNT to try to convert it to another edition though, wouldn't it? It doesn't work, because it doesn't like that fact that your product key no longer matches the edition of Windows you have, so you get the error that's something like "there was a problem checking the licence..." when you try to log on following the conversion.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:15 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
This would be like using TweakNT to try to convert it to another edition though, wouldn't it? It doesn't work, because it doesn't like that fact that your product key no longer matches the edition of Windows you have, so you get the error that's something like "there was a problem checking the licence..." when you try to log on following the conversion.

Hmm... I personally didn't experience this, the worst thing would be it demanded another activation. Despite this, I had no problem converting an install of XP Pro (Upgrade) to Home, Media or Tablet as often as I wanted... It did, for example, prompt for a new activation when converting Server 2003 into the Workstation OS and back, but not more. I haven't tried TweakNT on any of my VLK copies, though...

BTW, this reminds me that I need to try to get Media Center to run on my copy of the Tablet PC OS some time to create a kind of "XP Ultimate"...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:23 am 
FTP Access

I tried converting XP Pro VLK to XP Home and got that error, and couldn't log on. I therefore assumed it just didn't work, but I suppose it might be because there is no Home VLK so that screws something up, whereas if you converted, say, Pro retail to Home retail it would just ask to be activated again (I don't have any retail ones to test this on though). Have you tried converting XP to a Server? Does it still work, and if so do you get Whistler Server branding?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:48 am 
Donator

Yeah, this might be. This would also explain why you couldn't convert Pro VLK to MCE, as Home and MCE don't exist as VLK, only Pro and TabletPC do. This could indeed be the reason – it worked fine on my non-VLK copy of XP Pro, as I said.

Converting XP to Server will indeedly get you the Whistler Server branding and make the OS identify itself as "Windows .NET [...] Server" IIRC, depending on what edition you choose, but the resulting OS is not functioning correctly. A lot of the server stuff is missing apparently, some programs and things (like the Start menu) don't work correctly anymore, and the biggest problem is that you'll be facing a memory leak. After all, "Windows .NET Server Version 2002" has never been released, it was just a beta...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
How would you be running beta software if you're converting an OS through registry edits?

You're still going to be running whatever version of the OS you have. Sure, functionality might be limited, but the files stay the same. I'm not even sure if the server functionality is left over in the registry for build 2600, let alone SP1 or SP2 (of XP, that is). I've got to take a look at that...

edit: and in that case, would setting the value to Personal in Win2k give us a peak at the limitations of early Neptune? (a test I should perform, just to see if it does anything at all).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:23 pm 
Donator

Quote:
How would you be running beta software if you're converting an OS through registry edits?

I don't mean converting XP Pro to Server will give you a beta OS, I just mean that the Server 2002 OS has never really existed outside of the beta stage, that''s probably why the resulting OS is not functioning correctly.

Quote:
You're still going to be running whatever version of the OS you have. Sure, functionality might be limited, but the files stay the same. I'm not even sure if the server functionality is left over in the registry for build 2600, let alone SP1 or SP2 (of XP, that is). I've got to take a look at that...

The resulting OS is crippled, of course. I haven't tested if there are other changes when running "XP Server", i.e. number of concurrent connections or stuff like that.

Quote:
edit: and in that case, would setting the value to Personal in Win2k give us a peak at the limitations of early Neptune? (a test I should perform, just to see if it does anything at all).

I doubt it'd do anything. I also tried converting Win2k to Web Server (which doesn't exist as we all know) and nothing happened.

Top  Profile