BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 15h, 32m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5587MB of 10867MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows DR5 on real hardware        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:01 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Just wondering, has anyone [successfully] tried Windows DR5 on a real machine? I have and it hasn't worked, I've been thinking that maybe it was specifically written with the IBM boards in mind. I'd like to try and get it on an old laptop or portable (mainly because I don't have the room or the money to buy an original IBM 5160 PC XT) that I can put it on. I did consider the Amstrad PPC-512 that I have, just to see, but the machine's in desperate need of repair (and I'm still looking for another).

So can anyone help me? Thanks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows DR5 on real hardware        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
mrpijey has sucessfully run it.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows DR5 on real hardware        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Mrpijey, I imagine, owns the correct 'period' hardware. I'm seeking advice on which machines I should try (especially portables), and whatever other veriables that may be significant.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows DR5 on real hardware        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:17 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I have a 4\25mhz Compaq Contura that might run it... not sure though, I also have this strange IBM desktop system that I can't seem to find an OS to run on it, it had 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives, and the HDD was missing, maybe that will run DR5?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows DR5 on real hardware        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
I tried run it on my Am386, and it is work fine. What is problem? I'm install DOS5 or 4, and after it, install DR 5 on Hard Drive. It is perfect started by run "Kernel.exe" from "test" directory, not for run "testwin" or something like, that saying the setup bat file.
I also made few photos of my 386 with working DR5 on them..

The bigger problem is run Alpha or Beta release of Windows.
Alpha release requiest a B: floppy drive, that i have not. I think it is possible to install onto Hard Drive, but I don't know how do it.
Beta release installation programm are freezes before its start copying windows files onto Hard Drive. I tried it on any virtual machines and real PC, but no good result obtained. I think it may be work with MS-DOS 3 or 2, but i have not 5'25 fdd for run it.

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows DR5 on real hardware        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:32 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
The DR5 MUST be installed to the harddrive.
You must run the installation batch file FROM the harddrive.

The Alpha release maybe also and the Beta just like the Windows 1 that was released installation.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows DR5 on real hardware        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
So my problem is that I was merely copying the files from a diskette to the hard disk, when I should have made an install set and installed it properly?

I'll give that a try later on :).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows DR5 on real hardware        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:11 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
No, just copy INSTALL.BAT to the harddrive.

Then run it.

The scripts ask for disks in A:\ drive.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows DR5 on real hardware        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
What I mean is that I didn't run the install script. Does that actually need to be done?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows DR5 on real hardware        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
I checked the install.bat file and most lines are a bunch of mkdir/erase/echo/copy commands. I guess it's there to make things easier.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows DR5 on real hardware        Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
That's what I saw when I looked at it. So it looks like I won't be able to run it on my 1994 Thinkpad 340. I'll have to go earlier!

Are there any portable XT clones?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows DR5 on real hardware        Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:57 pm 
Donator

Actually, these betas want a serial mouse

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows DR5 on real hardware        Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I'd rather worry about the mouse when I've worked out if there's a machine I can actually run it on.

But yes, I know it would prefer a serial mouse - but that won't prevent me from running it at all, will it?

Top  Profile