BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 1h, 23m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5750MB of 11073MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Windows 3.11 CD edition        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:53 pm 
Reply with quote
On one download page I found this. I am not sure if it is not posted already but since i don't have access to the FTP i cannot check it. This is Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) modified to install from CD so there are no prompts to change floppies. Obviously you will need to install CD-ROM driver on DOS before proceeding (the OAKCDROM.SYS thingy).


Ok, here are some links:

Translated:
http://tinyurl.com/cnteax

Original:
http://www.sosej.cz/Windows-3-11.html


Top
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 3.11 CD edition        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:55 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:46 pm

Posts
292
I can do that too, just copy all files from the floppydisk to MagicISO and compile your bootable ISO. Then you won't get any prompts and then it (might) work(s).


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 3.11 CD edition        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:31 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon May 07, 2007 11:08 pm

Posts
399

Location
Copenhagen, Denmark

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 95 OSR 2.1 RTM
lol
Quote:
Licence: Freeware
Yeah right.

I can confirm what dexter152 says. Just copy all the files from the disks to a iso image, no need to modify any files. Works with every version of Windows 3.xx

_________________
My gaming machine: AST Advantage 6066d. Cyrix 66MHz 486DX. 4MB RAM. 512KB Cirrus Logic onboard graphics. Creativa Vibra 16 ISA. 520MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 40x CD-ROM. MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.1


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 3.11 CD edition        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:48 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:47 am

Posts
606

Location
$HOME
dexter152 wrote:
I can do that too, just copy all files from the floppydisk to MagicISO and compile your bootable ISO. Then you won't get any prompts and then it (might) work(s).

Sometimes, with some editions of Windows 1.x, 2.x and 3.x depending on the setup, when you install it it'll prompt, but you just have to press enter to go on.
I've got a working DOS 3.3 CD I made for myself. In case anybody wants it. You may that way install Windows 1.00, even the DR5 on a floppy-less computer.
I've done it on my Toshiba x205 and it's LOL funny.
:)

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 3.11 CD edition        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:58 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat May 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Posts
5271

Location
The Collection Book

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Chicago wrote:
dexter152 wrote:
I can do that too, just copy all files from the floppydisk to MagicISO and compile your bootable ISO. Then you won't get any prompts and then it (might) work(s).

Sometimes, with some editions of Windows 1.x, 2.x and 3.x depending on the setup, when you install it it'll prompt, but you just have to press enter to go on.
I've got a working DOS 3.3 CD I made for myself. In case anybody wants it. You may that way install Windows 1.00, even the DR5 on a floppy-less computer.
I've done it on my Toshiba x205 and it's LOL funny.
:)


Windows 1.x and 2.x needs to be on floppy's.
(Windows 1.01 can fit on 1 1.44MB floppy, just press enter all times).

Windows 3.x can be installed from CD just put the files on the CD, boot you're DOS VM and start the install.

_________________
Image
http://www.thecollectionbook.info
Subscribe to our Image for updates and like us on Image.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 3.11 CD edition        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:08 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:47 am

Posts
606

Location
$HOME
DjRob wrote:
Chicago wrote:
dexter152 wrote:
I can do that too, just copy all files from the floppydisk to MagicISO and compile your bootable ISO. Then you won't get any prompts and then it (might) work(s).

Sometimes, with some editions of Windows 1.x, 2.x and 3.x depending on the setup, when you install it it'll prompt, but you just have to press enter to go on.
I've got a working DOS 3.3 CD I made for myself. In case anybody wants it. You may that way install Windows 1.00, even the DR5 on a floppy-less computer.
I've done it on my Toshiba x205 and it's LOL funny.
:)


Windows 1.x and 2.x needs to be on floppy's.
(Windows 1.01 can fit on 1 1.44MB floppy, just press enter all times).

Windows 3.x can be installed from CD just put the files on the CD, boot you're DOS VM and start the install.


Nope. You may use the DOS 3.3 Boot CD to create an Fdisk partition. Then you sys c:\ and you then just have to copy the OS files and install from the HDD.
That way you are independent from any Floppy.
I've done it.
:)

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 3.11 CD edition        Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:43 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:12 am

Posts
1121

Location
Brisbane, Queensland

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
I have seen OEM disks with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 (WG) on the disk. It's not hard to do. The disk contains other assorted proggies that OEMs were want to give at the time (i borrowed it some 11 years ago when i was planning my first cd to be burnt. At 100$ a throw, ye get it right the first time!

For DOS, just copy the files of an upgrade version to the same directory of a cdrom. If you have the supplement disk, you can merge them in too!

For Windows, copying the files also works, but setup /a will expand the files to a directory. Setup /n will make a minimal setup in the directory where setup runs, and use the directory where the setup /a files were placed.


Top  Profile  WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AlejHerrBar2k3 and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS