BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 13h, 51m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 2265MB of 3957MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Farsi Windows 3.1 halts on Windows portion of Setup...        Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:09 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
OK, here's my issue.

I'm installing the Farsi version of Windows 3.1 on Microsoft Virtual PC now, and it halts when it's supposed to go to the Windows portion of Setup.

I also tried it without any virtual PC (on my old PC), and under DOXBox, and I got the same result there.

Apparently, the issue is with the file GDI.EXE.

Now, does anyone know why that happens? Is that GDI.EXE corrupt? And does anyone have a working Farsi Windows 3.1 GDI.EXE? :?:

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:20 am 
FTP Access

I can't find a copy in that language, but then you can replace that file with one from another language it'll still work (A friend of mine had an important file missing from Windows 3.1 and found a russian version and used that file) though you might have some text screwed up or in another lanugage. Of course it can also crash if it is very important.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:27 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
idontknow wrote:
I can't find a copy in that language, but then you can replace that file with one from another language it'll still work (A friend of mine had an important file missing from Windows 3.1 and found a russian version and used that file) though you might have some text screwed up or in another lanugage. Of course it can also crash if it is very important.

Yes, I tried that, but then the output comes out all screwed up, since the Arabic, Farsi, and Hebrew versions of Windows have Right-to-Left writing and character combining routines in GDI.EXE, so an English GDI.EXE is out of question with Farsi Windows 3.1, and the Arabic and Hebrew ones combine the local characters incorrectly (actually, the Hebrew one doesn't combine them at all, since the Hebrew characters are to be written separately, unlike the Arabic ones, which the Farsi language uses as well).
And the Arabic version seems to use a slightly different Arabic code page than the Farsi version (both the Arabic and Farsi languages use the Arabic script, although the Farsi variant of it has some characters that the native Arabic variant doesn't have). :?:

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM