BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 8h, 19m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5589MB of 10931MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Revisiting DOS: creating the ultimate distro        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:02 am 
FTP Access

The topic was deleted at MSFN because the topic creator was banned, when attempting to recreate it the topic was deleted because it was based on a previous deleted topic. Make sense to you? Me neither.
Th3_uN1Qu3 wrote:
A few months ago i started up a little project that aimed to create the perfect DOS gaming bootdisk. It was posted at the Extreme Overclocking forums and it received a bit of feedback, then it died. I understand that there is DOSBox, however it is not able to emulate some games at full speed due to hardware limitations, and i can give you a few titles that simply don't work with it.

Features (Updated):

* Quickstart guide in AUTOEXEC.BAT
* Made readme.txt easier to read in EDIT
* Reverted to HIMEM.SYS instead of XMGR
* Added EMSMAGIC
* Now i can dare to say it's got 100% compatibility, of course you're free to mention games which run into trouble...

* Stripped 98SE files (MS-DOS 7.10)
* Advanced memory driver (UMBPCI optimizing HIMEM.SYS) - i ditched XMGR as
some games didn't like it.
* EMSMagic EMS memory emulator
* CuteMouse 2.1 beta 4 - mouse driver with 3k memory footprint, auto detection
and full wheel support
* DOSKey alternative with auto-completion
* XXCopy versatile file copy program
* MS-DOS editor for basic text editing needs
* UIDE, HDD and CD/DVD drivers with low memory footprint and DMA support
* USB Flash and USB HDD support using Panasonic USBASPI drivers
* Sound drivers will be included on request. The Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster
Pro and Sound Blaster 16 are supported by default. For more info check out
the Configuration section.
* Uses as low as 11KB conventional memory

The deal with the sound drivers was that people would link me to a DOS driver for their soundcard then i would integrate it in the bootdisk and configure it accordingly. I planned to make a bootable CD which would save configuration files to the HDD when i reached enough knowledge of DOS and got enough drivers to justify that.

I think this forum would be a much better place for this project. What's your opinion on it?

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=607a ... c66d4fa4e9)

Th3_uN1Qu3 will be continuing his project primarily at another board (I believe at Boot-Land with possible backups at Marxo's site, although neither topic has been started as of Oct. 3). His focus is primarily optimization and compatibility, as well as doing boot-disks. I will be continuing the project here; my focus is primarily PnP drivers, CD and Hard drive versions, and special enhancements. I will be continually updating with his latest work, and once I get a good set of PnP drivers he may be using those on his bootdisk (depends on the memory usage and stability, of course).

expert01's DOS archvies: http://abandonbeta.org/DOS
DOS/3.1 Resources Topic: http://betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=61365 (please include any drivers you have in here)

Last edited by expert01 on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:34 pm 
I am the original MSFN topic starter and the one that got banned for an unknown reason there. I don't really need any of the links in that topic since i have everything backed up locally, and i will continue development of this disk, probably on Boot-Land.net.

What we need right now in this disk is a better UMB provider, UMBPCI just isn't stable enough. Unfortunately i'm not that much of a coder, i do not have enough knowledge to edit the sources of UMBPCI, but i can work on other areas and i'm still learning.

I will come back with a new version once i get my overclocked P1 MMX (292MHz, 96MB RAM) back up and running. That computer is an interesting stability test, because, while it is stable in itself, it hated UMBPCI last time i checked (although the chipset it uses is supposed to be 100% compatible with it), i did the development posted at MSFN on a different machine. Also, being an old Pentium chip going at that high of a speed, some games have timing issues. It's very important that we keep this in mind since this bootdisk is supposed to run on all machines that are still DOS conformant, from 486 class machines to P4s.

And mentioning fast machines, i'm still looking for a slowdown program that works well. The free version of MoSlo is very buggy.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:34 pm 
FTP Access

If you check the page at mgdx (mdgx?) about UMBPCI, he says there are newer versions (I think), but that they're private. You might be able to track one down anyways.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
On this subject, I have an interesting question (bourne out of SCREEN 12 in QuickBASIC): would there be a way of putting DOS into an SVGA-type 1024*768 display mode with an 8*8 font (like with some Linux distros)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:49 am 
FTP Access

I believe that an ANSI driver can do that for you. NANSI.SYS is popular. The person that makes that also makes NANSI.SYS, but you need to recompile it to change settins ( :? ) He recommends fansi-console as a fully featured display driver.

ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/screen/fcon200.zip (dated in 1988, can't open it in Ubuntu)
http://cd.textfiles.com/mhblackbox2/SCREEN/FANSI3.ZIP (info about how to find fansi 3, but I can't open it)

There was also a version 4.0 that I can't locate.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:05 am 
Donator

This is the best site I've found with info about NANSI: http://www.kegel.com/nansi/

And this: http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/s ... nsi40d.zip (you don't need to recompile to change screen modes with this, afaik)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:08 pm 
thanks for the heads up to this thread. i'll be busy for a while but i'll keep track of this topic and come back soon.

my files are here:
http://www.mediafire.com/tikbalang

keep dos alive.