BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 21h, 16m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 5163MB of 11487MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How Start W3.11 in real PC modern?        Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:56 pm 

Favourite OS
Hello
i have old pentium 4 from 2005 and dual core

i want know is work boot in hard drive sata windows 3.11 ?

more faster than virtual machine and more fun :P

please? for try in my 2st hard drive

my OS in frist hard drive

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Start W3.11 in real PC modern?        Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:19 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98
SATA would definitely not work in 3.11 unless you had some patches which I highly doubt there are. 9x has SATA patches but 3.11 I'm not so sure.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Start W3.11 in real PC modern?        Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
If you look through the BIOS setup, you can tell the computer to support legacy mode, which means that the hard drives will appear to be on IDE lines. You need to set this for DOS and Windows.

Create a DOS boot, and then install Windows 3.1 in the DOS session.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How Start W3.11 in real PC modern?        Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:21 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
Patatechaude wrote:
Hello

please? for try in my 2st hard drive

my OS in frist hard drive

You're better off using XP than an OS 12 years before your computer was released.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How Start W3.11 in real PC modern?        Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:35 am 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
P4’s are best suited for XP, possibly Vista if you have a HT model. Windows XP has no native support for SATA with AHCI, so you will need to get the F6 Text-mode drivers for your SATA controller. If you can’t get drivers for your controller, you will have to use IDE compatibility mode for SATA. The drivers should be listed on your computer’s manufacturer’s website for your computer. For example, I have an HP Compaq dc7100 SFF (not my main) and the drivers are on their website.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Start W3.11 in real PC modern?        Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- DVINTHEHOUSEMAN: That depends on what Pentium 4. Pentium 4 Northwood machines with Socket 478 mPGA tend to have IDE and not SATA. At least mine did. Pentium 4 Prescott machines with Socket 775 LGA will likely have SATA, though.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: How Start W3.11 in real PC modern?        Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:46 am 

Patatechaude wrote:
Hello

Depends on your specific hardware setup.
It might work if you set your sata controller to IDE mode. You should be able to do that in the bios. The exact way to do that depends on the motherboad.
If your controller doesn't support IDE mode, you can try installing Windows 3.1 in standard mode on top of FreeDos.
If you only want to run dos apps, you can always install FreeDos.
You can also use DosBox. It's an emulator, but it's pretty fast, easier to install, and has more extensive options for tweaking speed, color, sound, etc.
You can also try virtualizing windows. Virtualization is different from emulation, since the guest software uses a more direct interface with less overhead to the host hardware. Most Core2s support virtualization acceleration (VTX), but only a few newer Pentium 4s have it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Start W3.11 in real PC modern?        Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
Voyambar wrote:
SATA would definitely not work in 3.11 unless you had some patches which I highly doubt there are. 9x has SATA patches but 3.11 I'm not so sure.

BIOS emulation will do the job, and you have to disable the 32bit disk access in your 3.11 installation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Start W3.11 in real PC modern?        Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:08 am 
Donator

Patatechaude wrote:

I don't think that being stuck to 800x600 at 16 colors with no sound nor network is really that fun and maybe not even that fast.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Start W3.11 in real PC modern?        Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:20 pm 

AlphaBeta wrote:
Patatechaude wrote:

I don't think that being stuck to 800x600 at 16 colors with no sound nor network is really that fun and maybe not even that fast.

Yes, the legacy support on modern hardware isn't as good as emulating the real thing. I get wanting to install on real hardware for fun, but emulation and virtualization is really the way to go. In some cases virtualization is faster and more stable then running naively depending on the legacy support implementation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Start W3.11 in real PC modern?        Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DOS/Win 3.11
Just for a note, you can still (mostly) run Windows 3.1 era apps in Windows XP (yes, even Program Manager set as default shell instead of Explorer), provided it's the 32-bit version.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Start W3.11 in real PC modern?        Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:16 pm 

Favourite OS
Slackware 7.1
Windows 3.11 will run your CPU at 100%, leading to overheating. A tool like WQGHLT is required.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Start W3.11 in real PC modern?        Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:47 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3 build 2600
Crosma wrote:
Windows 3.11 will run your CPU at 100%, leading to overheating. A tool like WQGHLT is required.

DOSIDLE is (somewhat) required too. :P

Top  Profile