BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 21d, 14h, 32m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 5789MB of 11191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:24 am 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Posts
351

Location
Russia

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
What copy did you download? The 360kb 5,25" version or the 720kb 3,5" version?

_________________
quality signature


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:14 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 am

Posts
1591

Location
Slovenia

Favourite OS
5111
You configure it the same way as you configured the hard drive. You set the correct drive type in 86Box settings, then set the same drive type in CMOS. Obviously the drive type needs to be supported by the machine you're emulating (in your case, it supports just about all standard types, so no worries), and the disk images you're using need to be compatible with this drive.

In case you're not familiar with floppy disk formats and drives, I recommend you look up 3.5" and 5.25" drives and disks on Google to get an idea.

_________________
Image

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:32 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:01 am

Posts
48

Favourite OS
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
MCpillager12 wrote:
What copy did you download? The 360kb 5,25" version or the 720kb 3,5" version?




I downloaded the 720kb 3.5 version of Windows/386


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:18 am 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Posts
351

Location
Russia

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
Your drive A must be 720kb 3,5" and your drive B must be 360kb 5,25"

_________________
quality signature


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:44 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:01 am

Posts
48

Favourite OS
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
MCpillager12 wrote:
Your drive A must be 720kb 3,5" and your drive B must be 360kb 5,25"



I set the drive A to the 720kb 3.5 option and I got an error. Here is the error: General Failure error reading drive A. Is there a way to fix this?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:01 am 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Posts
351

Location
Russia

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
Set the drive options in the CMOS.

Offtopic Comment
300th post.

_________________
quality signature


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:34 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:11 am

Posts
3531

Location
Italy

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
TheBetaFan18329 wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:
Your drive A must be 720kb 3,5" and your drive B must be 360kb 5,25"



I set the drive A to the 720kb 3.5 option and I got an error. Here is the error: General Failure error reading drive A. Is there a way to fix this?


If you've inserted the disk on drive B, it would say that.
Edit: Also, is the drive set to 720K/1.44M in the CMOS so that it matches the 86box settings?

_________________
http://forum.softhistory.org


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:30 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:01 am

Posts
48

Favourite OS
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
TheCollector1988 wrote:
TheBetaFan18329 wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:
Your drive A must be 720kb 3,5" and your drive B must be 360kb 5,25"



I set the drive A to the 720kb 3.5 option and I got an error. Here is the error: General Failure error reading drive A. Is there a way to fix this?


If you've inserted the disk on drive B, it would say that.
Edit: Also, is the drive set to 720K/1.44M in the CMOS so that it matches the 86box settings?


It won't let me change the option of the floppy drive. :(


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:30 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:11 am

Posts
3531

Location
Italy

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
You need to press pageup or pagedown from your keyboard (at least in the ami386dx).

_________________
http://forum.softhistory.org


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:41 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:01 am

Posts
48

Favourite OS
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
TheCollector1988 wrote:
You need to press pageup or pagedown from your keyboard (at least in the ami386dx).



I installed it but when I type in win386, it freezes on the boot screen. Is there a fix for this?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:11 am

Posts
3531

Location
Italy

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
Hmm, you've assigned 8MB of memory, haven't you? Also, DOS version? What type of freeze? Something about the DOS version?

_________________
http://forum.softhistory.org


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:02 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:01 am

Posts
48

Favourite OS
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
TheCollector1988 wrote:
Hmm, you've assigned 8MB of memory, haven't you? Also, DOS version? What type of freeze? Something about the DOS version?



I am using 8MB of memory. The version of DOS I am using is MS-DOS 3.31. I don't know what type of freeze it is.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:36 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:11 am

Posts
3531

Location
Italy

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
TheBetaFan18329 wrote:
TheCollector1988 wrote:
Hmm, you've assigned 8MB of memory, haven't you? Also, DOS version? What type of freeze? Something about the DOS version?



I am using 8MB of memory. The version of DOS I am using is MS-DOS 3.31. I don't know what type of freeze it is.


Mind offering a screenshot (not from a camera) of the freeze?

_________________
http://forum.softhistory.org


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:42 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:01 am

Posts
48

Favourite OS
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
TheCollector1988 wrote:
TheBetaFan18329 wrote:
TheCollector1988 wrote:
Hmm, you've assigned 8MB of memory, haven't you? Also, DOS version? What type of freeze? Something about the DOS version?



I am using 8MB of memory. The version of DOS I am using is MS-DOS 3.31. I don't know what type of freeze it is.


Mind offering a screenshot (not from a camera) of the freeze?


Here is a screenshot of the freeze: https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .58167.PNG


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:50 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 am

Posts
1591

Location
Slovenia

Favourite OS
5111
Well, one issue that may or may not be related to this freeze, but will be an issue of its own eventually, is the fact that you're using a PS/2 mouse on a board that doesn't support PS/2. As I've said in one of my previous posts, switch to Microsoft serial mouse (and reinstall Windows with the appropriate mouse driver selected).

Also, in case you didn't do this: you should allow setup to modify your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files, and MEMSET to do its thing.

_________________
Image

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Black Screen on Windows/386 2.11        Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:05 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:01 am

Posts
48

Favourite OS
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
Overdoze wrote:
Well, one issue that may or may not be related to this freeze, but will be an issue of its own eventually, is the fact that you're using a PS/2 mouse on a board that doesn't support PS/2. As I've said in one of my previous posts, switch to Microsoft serial mouse (and reinstall Windows with the appropriate mouse driver selected).

Also, in case you didn't do this: you should allow setup to modify your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files, and MEMSET to do its thing.



I don't think it is related to this freeze and I allowed setup to modify the autoexec.bat and config.sys files and I ran MEMSET and it freezes at the boot screen


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2019

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS