Is CARDDRV.EXE a part of MS-DOS 7.0

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Is CARDDRV.EXE a part of MS-DOS 7.0

Post by ComputerHunter »

I was creating another version of MS-DOS 7.00 by separating DOS files from Windows files and I am not sure whether carddrv.exe is a part of of it.

It has the string

Code: Select all

MS-DOS Version 7 (C)Copyright 1981-1995 Microsoft Corp Licensed Material - Property of Microsoft All rights reserved 
but it looks more like a driver installer.

Anyway, if anybody can provide a full list of MS-DOS 7.00 files, that would be great.

Regards,
ComputerHunter

Overdoze
FTP Access

Re: Is CARDDRV.EXE a part of MS-DOS 7.0

Post by Overdoze »

Well if it's truly a DOS program, you won't find a PE or NE header in it, just the MZ header at the start.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

I mean it is a DOS program (and I can tell the difference) but is it a part of MS-DOS 7.00? Not all DOS programs in Windows 95 RTM are MS-DOS 7 files.
Also EXTRACT.EXE, not sure about that one either.

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

ComputerHunter wrote:I mean it is a DOS program (and I can tell the difference) but is it a part of MS-DOS 7.00? Not all DOS programs in Windows 95 RTM are MS-DOS 7 files.
What is the definition of "being part of MS-DOS 7", given that MS-DOS 7 was never packaged as an independent product?
The string you quoted is proof that, as far as MS is concerned, carddrv.exe is part of (some version of) MS-DOS 7, but you are free to have a different view on that matter.

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

What exactly does it do?

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

ComputerHunter wrote:What exactly does it do?
The Internet doesn't provide a lot of good info on this file, but it appears to be a driver used to access certain flash drives in DOS mode.
Perhaps the Win98 SE cd contains more information on carddrv.exe.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

carddrv.exe is a PCMCIA driver for DOS and has nothing to do specifically with flash drives.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

EXTRACT.EXE was included in DOS 6.22 so it's a dos program
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

Aaaaaa nuuu cheeki breeki i v damke!
mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

Wasn't it called EXPAND.EXE?

Hyoenmadan86

Post by Hyoenmadan86 »

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:EXTRACT.EXE was included in DOS 6.22 so it's a dos program
Nope, Extract is a DOS7 tool.
ComputerHunter wrote:Wasn't it called EXPAND.EXE?
In Win9x/DOS7 is called Extract, as its code is derived from the MS Diamond-codenamed CAB compression and distribution tools. Expand in NT5 was after reworked and enhanced to support Extract compression algoritms. Older NT4, Win3 and DOS expand versions don't support Diamond file container and compression algorithms, aka, CAB support.

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

In Win9x/DOS7 is called Extract, as its code is derived from the MS Diamond-codenamed CAB compression and distribution tools. Expand in NT5 was after reworked and enhanced to support Extract compression algoritms. Older NT4, Win3 and DOS expand versions don't support Diamond file container and compression algorithms, aka, CAB support.
I know that, I mean wasn't it called EXPAND.EXE in 6.22?

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

Given that PC-DOS 6-1 and later have PCMCIA drivers, I am not supprised.

As to 'extract', like 'expand', it is meant to extract the files from the distribution. ms-dos 6.x has kwaj-expand, ms-dos 5.0 has szdd expand, and the windows 3.11 has an expand that handles both. Extract serves to unpack cab files when windows is not running.

The best version of 'expand' to include in a custom dos is the win311 version.

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

Well, I am not making a custom DOS, I am trying to make it as original as possible. So should I include EXTRACT.EXE or not?

Hyoenmadan86

Post by Hyoenmadan86 »

ComputerHunter wrote:I know that, I mean wasn't it called EXPAND.EXE in 6.22?
Expand and Extract are actually completely different tools with different codebases. No common link between them, unlike DOS and NT3/4 Expand.
Btw, i dunno if DOS7 offered with Win9x ever had Expand. The only "Expand" i remember offered was the LZExpand DLL in Windows fileset distribution... Never an executable version of such library per se.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

ComputerHunter wrote:Well, I am not making a custom DOS
Urm, you are? You know, MS-DOS 7.0 never really existed in a standalone form. What you're doing is the very definition of custom.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

Well, you know I try to separate it as much of it as possible. It depends how you define custom.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

carddrv.exe is essencially the mscdex for pccards. It's a config.sys thing that allows one extra drive for each pcmcia slot, unless you put something like CARDDRV /PART=3.

I extracted all of the exe files out of 0950 and 2222 (win95, win98se). There's a lot of DOS files in it, but most of the stuff is for things like networks and the MWave sound-card. Outside of that, there's SETMDIR (something i'm looking into to change paths set in msdos.sys), SCANDISK (we use the one from ME), and CVT (used to convert partitions fat -> fat32).

Carddrv is an alpha-version. If you're serious about pcmcia, have a look at pcdos 7.

Note also that share.exe was in msdos 7.0, but dropped from 7.1.

I had a boot cdrom that ran msdos 7.0 and windows 3.1 (with windir on the ram-disk, but the exes in the path.) But i would not really run win31 as a 'separate app' (ie with DOS=SINGLE in config.sys), instead, run it from a DOS-only boot.