Windows 1.0 January Build?

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
ComputerHunter
FTP Access
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:37 am

Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by ComputerHunter »

Image
It was on a web page some times ago (like 10 years ago) and I found it on my hard drive... It was in a RAR file and I can't remember when and where I got it from (that is exactly why I have so many fake stuff on my hard drive! Taking so long to verify the reliability of my screenshots and even longer sorting them out). I don't really think this as any differ from Alpha but it has an app called DOS Command Processor running! DR5 and Alpha is not known to run COMMAND.COM (at least we don't know how to). I am not sure if it is real or not because it looks too similar to Alpha, it can't be from 1984. Anyway, I tried TinEye and looks like it was not anywhere online now... What I shame I took such a low resolution screenshot instead of saving the image. I am pretty sure the thing wasn't on a public website because you guys would've gotten so it might be either on a saved web page or a private site.

It looks like the date and time looks like 12:00:00 1980/01/01 although it wasn't included in the screenshot because the clock is showing a time close to 12 o'clock.

BTW the color is BLUE :OD ! All other screenshots or pictures of early Windows builds is either in color or black&white or green.

Please help me to determine if it is fake or real, thanks.

jimmsta
Donator
Posts: 806
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:43 am
Contact:

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by jimmsta »

I desaturated the image and upscaled it a bit to try and discern any details hidden behind the colormask.
Image
Need disks scanned in the USA? I have a Kryoflux, and am willing to help get your disks archived! I also offer xbox and xbox 360 repair and modding services. PM me for details!

ComputerHunter
FTP Access
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:37 am

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by ComputerHunter »

Nice, but do we have the build? Is it fake or real?

Overdoze
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 am
Location: Slovenia

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by Overdoze »

Don't get me wrong, but we've had bad experience with people who just happened to "find things on their hard drive" in the past. You certainly seem to be finding a lot of stuff just sitting on your drive - the supposed files from the demo builds, a screenshot of a DR5-like build, now this. Not being able to provide any kind of source for this doesn't work in your favour either.

I don't think I even need to say how easy it is to photoshop a COMMAND.COM window from the Beta into an Alpha screenshot, then make up a story around it. I'm not saying it's you who did this, but as said above, you're beggining to look less and less like a "non-suspect" in my opinion.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

ComputerHunter
FTP Access
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:37 am

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by ComputerHunter »

Offtopic Comment
I do have fake stuff on my hard drive, I am not saying hey are real! I am just uploading them so people can have a look. I've got all those stuff when I was collecting info on all sorts of early Windows and DOS betas, from friends and various websites. I still have a DR3 (proven fake) from my friend's server.

If I know where it came from or I am sure somebody made it, then there is no point on posting it up here. If you think I faked those and just to grab attention, then sorry you are wrong. I have more important things to do (like finish 2 databases or I will get kicked out of my job) than spending the time making fake screenshots for nothing. I know my friend made a few fakes and I am sorting out all those stuff. (I know you instantly put somebody in the "suspects" when you hear it came from a friend or lost its origin but) Did you know I only post things without origin or likely to be fake? Because I want it either to be proved fake or real so I can choose to delete it or keep it.

I also have another strange build of Windows 95 from the computer recycle center guy and I am not even bother to post it up because I will be blamed for making those.
Back to topic, how can you run COMMAND.COM in Alpha? Sometimes it runs in full screen and you will never be able to return to Windows. It looks like an app the emulates DOS rather than the DOS COMMAND.COM. Also, I tried to Photoshop it, the result is nowhere as good looking as the screenshot (if you know what Photoshop's un-anti-aliased text looks like).

Windows Alfie
User avatar
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:53 am
Location: England, United Kingdom

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by Windows Alfie »

I've used Alpha in PCjs and gotten the exact same color (monochromatic blue) with an EGA card, so it's probably just the Alpha release and potentially mis-information was handed to the editor. After all, it should be noted that there's no proof that Alpha was even compiled at the end of December 1985, and even then, a file in DR5 contains mentions about a future release in January, which would be Alpha.

To sum it up, I believe it may just be the Alpha Release, but with some false information.
Last edited by Windows Alfie on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tobi - That dang fox OC.

Overdoze
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 am
Location: Slovenia

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by Overdoze »

I merely pointed out a pattern I noticed in your posts (questionable material, is it real or not, found on my HDD, got it from a friend, yada yada), and it no longer inspires trust that what you're saying is true, unfortunately.

EDIT: As far as running COMMAND.COM under Alpha goes, only DOS 3.00's COMMAND.COM seems to work and it runs in fullscreen, then hangs on exit. DOS 2.10's will just hang on start with a black screen.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

johnlemon647
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:52 pm
Location: State of Georgia USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by johnlemon647 »

ComputerHunter do you have files so we test out see fake or not. Hey ComputerHunter can you uploaded to Mega please.

LilShootDawg
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:52 pm
Location: In the not too distant future... next Sunday, A.D.

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by LilShootDawg »

johnlemon647 wrote:ComputerHunter do you have files so we test out see fake or not. Hey ComputerHunter can you uploaded to Mega please.
If you read the post at all you would see that it is a screenshot "supposedly" from a website he saved to his HDD.
Image
Image

Bobby
User avatar
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:55 am

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by Bobby »

Guys, stop assuming something came from a friend or hard drive without a source is fake.

The build shown was both real and fake. It is real because (I think) the people who faked this used my old video "Windows 1.0 Alpha - Lesson 3" (which is real) and extracted a frame from it. I am not so sure about the time given but the rest is almost identical to my video (the part where I demonstrated different apps, I've resized it and cropped out other parts). You can easily Photoshop a clock, right?

The info is just rubbish and the time of that build is exactly a month after. I now have some sort of idea who did it because I've only given the video out to a few people years ago.

To ComputerHunter and Overdoze: Do you people not know how to run an app in Alpha? 1. Install Alpha. 2. Run it. 3. Double click on COMMAND.COM. 4. If you still can't get it, then you should go to a doctor (or I should *hehe* ).
This community is quite disappointing. Please, lets not make it any worse by making mindless assumptions.

Overdoze
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 am
Location: Slovenia

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by Overdoze »

Bobby wrote:Guys, stop assuming something came from a friend or hard drive without a source is fake.

The build shown was both real and fake. It is real because (I think) the people who faked this used my old video "Windows 1.0 Alpha - Lesson 3" (which is real) and extracted a frame from it. I am not so sure about the time given but the rest is almost identical to my video (the part where I demonstrated different apps, I've resized it and cropped out other parts). You can easily Photoshop a clock, right?

The info is just rubbish and the time of that build is exactly a month after. I now have some sort of idea who did it because I've only given the video out to a few people years ago.

To ComputerHunter and Overdoze: Do you people not know how to run an app in Alpha? 1. Install Alpha. 2. Run it. 3. Double click on COMMAND.COM. 4. If you still can't get it, then you should go to a doctor (or I should *hehe* ).
I appreciate you're shedding some light on this subject. However, if it's indeed just a modified screenshot from the video, with made up text surrounding it, then it's very much fake. The fact that it's based on a real build (Alpha) is irrelevant, because whoever made this tried to pass it off as something it's not. It seems to be exactly what I thought it would be, based on the indicators I mentioned (no source, etc.). And as some other people pointed out, the text is very incoherent, so even if it were real, the person writing it had little idea of what they were talking about.

As far as the COMMAND.COM issue in Alpha goes, I said I tried running it on IBM's DOS 2.10 and 3.00 and posted the results. I haven't tried other DOS versions or OEM release, but I see you're using COMPAQ's version 2.12 in the video and it seems to run in a window even, so I'll try that. But if you know any other useful information regarding this, feel free to enlighten us.

EDIT: COMPAQ 2.12's COMMAND.COM also hangs for me with a black screen. So I'd be interested in your emulator configuration, the specific DOS release you used, any changes you made to Windows config or the PIF file, etc.

EDIT2: Adding "command.com = 32" to the [pif] section of USER.PRO fixes the issue for all DOS versions. But I wouldn't say this is as easy as 1-2-3 like you said, considering this entry isn't there by default.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

ComputerHunter
FTP Access
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:37 am

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by ComputerHunter »

But the window name is COMMAND instead of DOS Command Processor. Anyway, I've removed that screenshot from my hard drive.
@Bobby, do you know who made it since you only shared the video with a few people?

Overdoze
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 am
Location: Slovenia

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by Overdoze »

ComputerHunter wrote:But the window name is COMMAND instead of DOS Command Processor.
"DOS Command Processor" is defined as the program title in the PIF file for COMMAND.COM, but it's not being used for some reason, I'm not sure why. Perhaps Bobby can explain.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

johnlemon647
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:52 pm
Location: State of Georgia USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by johnlemon647 »

Microsoft made April Beta Build. The proof April Beta Build come from Windows 1.0 Beta Build about Windows say April Beta some of Application. Microsoft could made January Alpha build. It nice if we have this Build.

DiskingRound
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 1517
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 pm
Location: Inside the space between . and I

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by DiskingRound »

For me it's definetly Alpha build 1985-01-31. The creator of the page may have been misinformed by the dates of one or more of the files.

Bobby
User avatar
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:55 am

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by Bobby »

I thought you guys are smart, but...

I hope you know the fact that the Alpha build I demonstrated is not the one you guys have. In fact, it is a few days earlier than the leaked Alpha and it came with 5 disks. Who cares... (I don't even have that build now) I can't replicate the window name but I might give it another go.

@johnlemon647, sorry I don't have the build as I've sold it a few years ago. As far as I know, January release is what Microsoft called the Alpha build while they are working on it with the goal of releasing in January the following year. IIRC, there are several versions of Alpha released to different OEMs.

@ComputerHunter, I don't want to tell you who made it but I believe you are not responsible for making it (unless you are one of the people who I gave the video to).
This community is quite disappointing. Please, lets not make it any worse by making mindless assumptions.

johnlemon647
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:52 pm
Location: State of Georgia USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by johnlemon647 »

One day hope we find this Build of Alpha and April Beta Build of Windows 1.0.
Last edited by johnlemon647 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Applegame12345
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:14 am
Location: C:\Users\Applegame12345

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by Applegame12345 »

johnlemon647 wrote:One day hope we this Build of Alpha and April Beta Build of Windows 1.0.
Keep dreaming.
Image
Discord: @Applegame12345#0023
>>click here<< for some wiki editing

johnlemon647
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:52 pm
Location: State of Georgia USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by johnlemon647 »

They said about Windows 1.0 Premiere Edition and Windows 1.xx it was found.

Bobby
User avatar
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:55 am

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by Bobby »

It is hard to get those early builds now days. Unless you know somebody who worked in Microsoft back then or people who work at companies that Microsoft gave betas to.

This thread inspired me to dig up some old Windows 1.x stuff. See what I can find for you guys.
This community is quite disappointing. Please, lets not make it any worse by making mindless assumptions.

ComputerHunter
FTP Access
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:37 am

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by ComputerHunter »

@Bobby, where did you get your Alpha?

OltScript131
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:46 am
Contact:

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by OltScript131 »

johnlemon647 wrote:They said about Windows 1.0 Premiere Edition and Windows 1.xx it was found.
But absolutely no Windows 1.0 Pre-DR was found unfortunatly nowadays...
Bobby wrote:It is hard to get those early builds now days. Unless you know somebody who worked in Microsoft back then or people who work at companies that Microsoft gave betas to.
I know someone who worked at Microsoft and I contacted him several times but unfortunately, he has nothing...

johnlemon647
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:52 pm
Location: State of Georgia USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by johnlemon647 »

Windows 1.0 Alpha Command.com in Action

Image

Image

AlphaBeta
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:33 pm
Location: Czechia

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by AlphaBeta »

As it turns out, when an old application is ran, Windows searches %PATH% to find an applicable PIF file. If none is found, then the application runs in full screen. The Alpha installation process does not seem to touch AUTOEXEC.BAT in any way, therefore Windows can't find any PIFs as \WINDOWS\TEST is not in the search path by default.

The USER.PRO change seems to force Windows to run a chosen executable in a Windows, but doesn't fix the issue that Windows is not able to find the PIF file, as seen in the titlebar, which is just the executable name.

Simply running the following command or adding it to your AUTOEXEC.BAT file is enough to get stuff running without any other configuration changes:

Code: Select all

PATH C:\WINDOWS\TEST
This seems like something that would have been mentioned in the documentation accompanying the release.

As a matter of fact, this means that the screenshot that opened this thread is perfectly reproducable using the Alpha build from 1985/31/01, which is steadily available from the FTP:
Image
Last edited by AlphaBeta on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Image

ComputerHunter
FTP Access
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:37 am

Re: Windows 1.0 January Build?

Post by ComputerHunter »

So, the whole thing is a fake using the Alpha build from January 31th, 1984. But it is still interesting to know how to run DOS apps in Windows 1.0 Alpha release.

Post Reply