BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 18d, 17h, 49m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 5361MB of 11538MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: windows 3.11 in 86box, with green hercules video card        Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:31 pm 

Favourite OS
Win9X,AmigaOS,GEOS2.0,EAW P8000
My grandfather told me he used a computer with Windows 3.11 and a green video card from Hercules. in his old job.

How could I create a computer in 86box to achieve the same result?
could give me the specific features of a computer configuration in 86box to perform virtualization.

what kind of computer would it be advisable to emulate to have good compatibility with the Hercules video card.

Updated to new images

Simulating the Next Computer

Machine: Award 286 Clone
Display: Hercules Green
Input Devices: Microsoft Serial Mouse
Sound Card: adlib
MIDI Out Device: Roland MT-32 Emulation
HD Controller: PC/AT IDE Adapter
Hard disk: 40MB, 977 Cylinders, 5 Heads, 17 Sectors

Updated, the first Tests

Lotus 1-2-3 Release 4

It works until Calmira

Last edited by AbandoSoftware on Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: windows 3.11 in 86box, with green hercules video card        Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
Any emulated 286+ machine is good for a start, choose Hercules in the 86box graphics/video cards, then, in the Hercules configuration (in the same 86box settings), choose Green monochrome for the monitor.
Edit: Hmm, it appears to be a CGA card in the screenshot above, not Hercules, and the OS is Windows 3.0, not 3.11. In such case, any 8088+ machine (8Mhz and up) is good.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: windows 3.11 in 86box, with green hercules video card        Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:28 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
That looks like Windows 3.0/3.0a to me.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: windows 3.11 in 86box, with green hercules video card        Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:31 pm 

Favourite OS
Myself v.1.1887.0079
TheCollector1988 wrote:
Any emulated 286+ machine is good for a start, choose Hercules in the 86box graphics/video cards, then, in the Hercules configuration (in the same 86box settings), choose Green monochrome for the monitor.
Edit: Hmm, it appears to be a CGA card in the screenshot above, not Hercules, and the OS is Windows 3.0, not 3.11. In such case, any 8088+ machine (8Mhz and up) is good.

Why I think that the Hercules card uses the same resolution and fonts as CGA drivers? Speaking of CGA, the only way to use CGA in Windows 3.1 is by using the Windows 3.0 driver or by getting a Windows 3.1-aware driver. I've seen one in the Windows 3.1 Resource Kit as its CD has several display adapters from the Windows Driver Library.

In a way, running Windows 3.1 configured to use Hercules may not look as seen in the picture and may actually look like running Windows 3.1 configured to use EGA, but without color, but I think that's a wrong hypothesis.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: windows 3.11 in 86box, with green hercules video card        Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!
For the heck of it, I installed Windows 3.0 in PCem using herc & CGA.

This is Hercules mode. it's a much higher resolution than CGA, 720x348

And this is CGA which is horribly low resolution. 640x200. I suffered through this when I first had a PC, and this was as low end as you could go.

The giveaway for CGA is the massive borders and minimize/maximize buttons, further making the screen look small.

Your image is titled "https://i.ibb.co/K7bMkYm/cpq-portable-II-3.jpg" which the Compaq portable II was a 286 with CGA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_Portable_II

86box ought to be able to set some output filters & colors. Anyways I just used the ami386 set it to 33Mhz, 12MB of RAM, and a type 32 MFM hard disk.

So most likely it's CGA. Which other than nostalgia is terrible.... I'd give him the awesome expanded real-estate of Hercules. Or better the Wyse-700!
http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/wy700.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: windows 3.11 in 86box, with green hercules video card        Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
I know the filters are not on 86box, but why not using it louisw3? CGA is rendered fine here.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: windows 3.11 in 86box, with green hercules video card        Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
TheCollector1988 wrote:
I know the filters are not on 86box, but why not using it louisw3? CGA is rendered fine here.

I have v14 on this machine and I don't feel like hunting down all the bits again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: windows 3.11 in 86box, with green hercules video card        Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
louisw3 wrote:
TheCollector1988 wrote:

I have v14 on this machine and I don't feel like hunting down all the bits again.

You don't need to. :P
Simply get the rom set from 86box' github repository's link (a google search brings you that).

Offtopic Comment
VisiCorp VisiOn works fine here too, unlike PCem, untouched.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: windows 3.11 in 86box, with green hercules video card        Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
TheCollector1988 wrote:
louisw3 wrote:
TheCollector1988 wrote:

You don't need to. :P
Simply get the rom set from 86box' github repository's link (a google search brings you that).

Offtopic Comment
VisiCorp VisiOn works fine here too, unlike PCem, untouched.

Like I said, I have v14 and I didn't feel like messing around.

Top  Profile