New informations (and photos) on Windows 1.00 Pre-DR5 !

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Re: New informations (and photos) on Windows 1.00 Pre-DR5 !

Post by ComputerHunter »

Sure, that is "real"! 640x400 16 color display... Tell your "friend" I want the DISPLAY.EXE in that build. I wonder what driver can make 16 color 640x400 for DR5...

DR5 *could* have EGA support since it was released a few days after EGA was introduced but even if there is an EGA driver, I bet it is monochrome.

I think the only thing we need to replicate those pictures is the Tandy 2000 display driver for DR5.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

No comment.

Also I am pretty sure 640x200 doublescanned (therefore 640x400) w/ 16 colors is a supported EGA mode with both the ECD and CGA monitors and is implemented in the EGALORES driver. However, I don't think there ever was a DR5 driver for it, as EGA was introduced around the time of DR5 release and Alpha shipped only with EGAMONO (EGA + MDA display).
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

johnlemon647

Post by johnlemon647 »

Jerry056 wrote:My friend gave me a screenshot of Windows 1.0 DR5 running in 16 colors! He said drivers were also provided with earlier versions of Windows and it can be used in DR5. To prove he have the build, he can share one file from his build of DR5 which also supported DOS apps!

Download the screenshot and a text file here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 4669843127

@johnlemon647, I think my friend also have the Tandy 2000 driver but he can't share it with you.
@Jerry056 Yes he can share us and any things he finds too.

OltScript131
FTP Access

Post by OltScript131 »

@Jerry056 I would like sincerely to see these drivers ! :P :beta:

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Didn't you get the memo, guys? There are no drivers.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

Another reconstruction of a pre-DR5 build (the 04/84 build):

I have no idea what the taskbar would look like since it was cut off so it might differ a lot from the actual build. I did not put any apps on the taskbar because I don't know which ones were minimized.

The picture is way too blurry for fine details but below are things I noticed:
  • The resize cursor is different from the 1983-11-20 build
  • Time displayed in clock was different from the time shown in the status bar
  • The Spread Sheet window was all used up by the menu and there are no scroll bars
  • Text application is similar to the one in DR5 but it does not display the file name
  • There are dots for minutes on the clock just like DR5
Looking at the original photo, the left side and taskbar wasn't cut off by the video but covered up. Also to me it looks like it was a photo of a photo in magazine or similar promotional material on paper. As for the cursor not shown in the picture, isn't the rectangle with two lines the resize cursor?

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

ComputerHunter wrote:
  • The Spread Sheet window was all used up by the menu and there are no scroll bars
I think that's the normal behaviour in many released versions of Windows (definitely Windows 3.x, and probably earlier versions too; but possibly also later versions, I just don't remember checking it).

johnlemon647

Post by johnlemon647 »

The Windows 1.00 Spreadsheet Application was in Windows 1.0 Comdex Builds to Windows 1.0 April 1984 Build was name Spreadsheet then change name into Windows Plan Science et Vie Micro Beta Build.

liam72

Post by liam72 »

taken from a magazine,no photo

Overdoze
FTP Access

Post by Overdoze »

Very interesting, thanks for posting this. May I ask which magazine this is?
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

Sounds like an interview with a developer. The time is likely after the release of Windows 1.0 and before Windows 2.0 (refer it as Windows, without a version number).

That explains why they only demoed window operation (resize, minimize, maximize and menu) and how Calendar, Spread Sheet, Art and Text were opened without an executable. .MOD stands for module... WINOLDAP.MOD -Microsoft Windows Old Application Support Module...

JustZisGuy
FTP Access

Post by JustZisGuy »

"It may be opened by clicking on any file ends in .PIC"

Apparently a magazine that does not know how to proofread.

Also, no professional magazine from the 80s or early 90s would have ever used the word "app".

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

Indeed a questionable piece of text but the information is not completely inaccurate. The word app already existed in the 80s and if it is from a quote, there is a possiblity for it to be in the magazine.

I already thought about everything being stored in one file like MSDOS.EXE and drivers being stored in WIN100.EXE in Alpha Release.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Going by the "we" in the bottom of the second paragraph, this would mean the magazine was written by Microsoft themselves, and I am not aware of them running any magazine of their own. Also notable is the use of abbreviations such as "aren't", while an actual magazine at the time would have used formal language such as "are not". And "apps" back then was not used other than as an informal abbreviation for "applications", generally in file names.
Join [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/softhistory/]#softhistory @ RoL IRC[/url], a nice community for true enthusiasts!
Anime channel: [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/aniboshi/]#doki-doki @ RoL IRC[/url], Mibbit, KiwiIRC.
The 86Box help channel is #softhistory now!

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

Battler wrote:Going by the "we" in the bottom of the second paragraph, this would mean the magazine was written by Microsoft themselves, and I am not aware of them running any magazine of their own. Also notable is the use of abbreviations such as "aren't", while an actual magazine at the time would have used formal language such as "are not". And "apps" back then was not used other than as an informal abbreviation for "applications", generally in file names.
Link to an early (May 1987) issue of the "Microsoft Systems Journal", a magazine Microsoft published for so many years...
They do use contracted negations.
https://www.pcjs.org/pubs/pc/magazines/msj/MSJ-1987-05/

ToMi1

Post by ToMi1 »

Jerry056 wrote:My friend gave me a screenshot of Windows 1.0 DR5 running in 16 colors! He said drivers were also provided with earlier versions of Windows and it can be used in DR5. To prove he have the build, he can share one file from his build of DR5 which also supported DOS apps!

Download the screenshot and a text file here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 4669843127

@johnlemon647, I think my friend also have the Tandy 2000 driver but he can't share it with you.
DR5 in 16 color?! Pls, send me the drivers, I really WANT get DR5 in color display. :D :mrgreen:
Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS, 4GB DDR2 Memory, ADATA SU900 SSD (1TB), Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC x64

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

You really think that driver is real?

ToMi1

Post by ToMi1 »

ComputerHunter wrote:You really think that driver is real?
I don't know. :?
Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS, 4GB DDR2 Memory, ADATA SU900 SSD (1TB), Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC x64

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

No, it is not real... Look at that picture he uploaded and you'll see it is a very bad colorization of a monochrome screenshot.

jb881122
FTP Access

Post by jb881122 »

I just found a relatively late date that I don't think anyone has discussed in this photo of the BYTE build for the DEC Rainbow, just under the banner in BASIC86: November 13, 1983.
I personally have no idea what this might mean, as there is a build of Windows with the updated interface dated earlier than this. My guess would be that the DEC build was simply demoed later than the IBM PC builds, as a color display driver would most likely take longer to make than a monochrome driver (I wonder if that could mean that the BYTE build was distributed to OEMs, if Microsoft made the drivers themselves to show off Windows on a bunch of computers, or if programmers from the OEMs had to go to Microsoft's headquarters to write their drivers?). Could they have forward-dated it to account for the delay there is in putting something in a magazine (I doubt it, as there is also a picture in that magazine of a PC with BASIC86 dated May 1983)?

In conclusion, I don't know. What are your thoughts?

johnlemon647

Post by johnlemon647 »

I saw picture Microsoft Interface Manager ran color mode on versus computers. In Microsoft Word for DOS if you run colors mode on Microsoft word for DOS you need to go to window command then paint command maybe Interface Manager have feature like is to run color you need go to window command and paint command. In some pictures did i saw Window Command in Interface Manager. Microsoft Interface Manager did have same interface as Microsoft Multiplan Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Chart. I agree @jb881122 PC version of Interface Manager did not color display driver while some of other computer did have color display driver for Interface Manager. One day i hope we find Interface Manager.

Microsoft Interface Manager on Zenith Computer