New informations (and photos) on Windows 1.00 Pre-DR5 !

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
Overdoze
FTP Access

Re: New informations (and photos) on Windows 1.00 Pre-DR5 !

Post by Overdoze »

johnlemon647 wrote:Did anyone figure who out get Demo.exe from Windows 1.0 May 1984 Beta Demo Build working. I know half file is gone. Demo.exe give me error "Error in EXE File".
Even if you somehow got it to start at least, what do you expect would happen?
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

OltScript131
FTP Access

Post by OltScript131 »

Curious Line :idea: :
In all other files (Excerpt TEXT.TXT), there is absolutely nothing...

jagotu
FTP Access

Post by jagotu »

The DEMO.EXE is fake. Compare it to NOTEPAD.EXE from DR5.
In the MZ stub, only the "This program requires Microsoft Windows" message is replaced with "DEMO.ICO Missing or bad", but the code of the stub is not changed at all. So if you run it on DOS, it will just say "DEMO.ICO Missing or bad" without actually checking for the file and anything.

And besides that: there is nothing else left in this EXE. There's nothing to look into. And it's fake.
Windows TEN - Totally Erroneous Numbering
Always watching you...

johnlemon647

Post by johnlemon647 »

I compared DEMO.EXE from Pre DR5 files ComputerHunter sent us and NOTEPAD.EXE from Windows 1.0 DR5. I test DEMO.EXE on Windows 1.0 DR5 see a it same apps from Windows 1.0 DR5. DEMO.EXE on DR5 give off different error is a not missing DEMO.ICO error. DEMO.EXE crash Windows 1.0 DR5. I did byte to byte comparisons DEMO.EXE and NOTEPAD.EXE see file size it is same file from NOTEPAD.EXE. NOTEPAD.EXE from DR5 is 4024 bytes and the DEMO.EXE from May 22 1984 build is 2415 bytes, i also check see if file from NOTEPAD.RES and NOTEPAD.RES from DR5 is 2045 bytes.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

Don't use 1.00 of 86box...

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

It will throw you with the error because it is corrupted, I bet that it is either a bad fake or it requires some other files to run, for example DEMO.ICO, DEMO.CUR, DEMO.FON, DEMO.PAT, DEMO.PIC or other files.

Actually looks like all other files in DR5, not only notepad. Might an earlier notepad used to open the heuristic reasoning or display other text files.

From the look of it, it doesn't contain any menus, so it might not even be a GUI app, and why it need the icon? Who knows.

Overdoze
FTP Access

Post by Overdoze »

You don't know what the MS-DOS/MZ stub does in Windows EXEs, do you?

In 99.9% of Windows programs it's just an automatic placeholder that prints "This program cannot be run in DOS mode." or "This program requires Microsoft Windows." in DOS command line and then quits. Just as it does in this case. Technically you could bundle both an MS-DOS and Windows program in the same EXE by using the MZ portion for DOS code (I believe ScanDisk in Windows 9x was such a program?). But here, it doesn't performs any checks for DEMO.ICO or whatever, it just prints that message and quits. Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless of course someone had the dumb idea of simply changing the default message to this, without even knowing what the stub is for.

It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the rest of the file is missing, or that DEMO.ICO is missing, or anything else.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

johnlemon647

Post by johnlemon647 »

ComputerHunter wrote:It will throw you with the error because it is corrupted, I bet that it is either a bad fake or it requires some other files to run, for example DEMO.ICO, DEMO.CUR, DEMO.FON, DEMO.PAT, DEMO.PIC or other files.

Actually looks like all other files in DR5, not only notepad. Might an earlier notepad used to open the heuristic reasoning or display other text files.

From the look of it, it doesn't contain any menus, so it might not even be a GUI app, and why it need the icon? Who knows.
These core files for Windows 1.0 1983 Comdex build. This demo build maybe need more one file to open Microsoft Windows. In 1983 Comdex build of Windows it have icon file. DEMO.EXE do not worked because it corrupted and it missing ICO file. ICO file is for Microsoft Windows icons to display Micrososoft Windows Icons.

Core files for older Windows 1.0 1983 Comdex Build
MSWIN.EXE [To open Microsoft Windows]
MSWIN.CUR [Microsoft Windows Cursors]
MSWIN.PAT [Microsoft Windows Palettes]
MSWIN.ICO [Microsoft Windows Icons]
MSWIN.FON [Microsoft Windows Fonts]
TEXT.TXT [Same Text files for Windows 1.0 Byte Mag Build]
CALENDAR.TXT
A01.PIC
A02.PIC
A03.PIC

Overdoze
FTP Access

Post by Overdoze »

johnlemon647 wrote:DEMO.EXE do not worked because it corrupted and it missing ICO file.
DEMO.EXE is just a fake DR5 header with a bunch of zeroes padded to it, as stated several times in this and the other thread. So it'd be cool if we could stop this pointless circlejerk over those files.

OltScript131
FTP Access

Post by OltScript131 »

And why DEMO.EXE is a fake ?? :x What is the point of making it a fake ?
Maybe it's a file from a version slightly earlier than Windows 1.0 DR5, given the date... Maybe it's DEMO.EXE from DR4 or DR3... 8-)
TEXT.TXT, A01.PIC, A02.PIC and the rest is real, no ? 8-)

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

OltScript131 wrote:And why DEMO.EXE is a fake ?? :x What is the point of making it a fake ?
That's the same kind of question as "What's the point of making atomic bombs?". People might make it for personal gain, to boost their ego or for any other reason really. We are here to inspect whether the file is fake, not why.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Overdoze
FTP Access

Post by Overdoze »

OltScript131 wrote:And why DEMO.EXE is a fake ?? :x What is the point of making it a fake ?
Maybe it's a file from a version slightly earlier than Windows 1.0 DR5, given the date... Maybe it's DEMO.EXE from DR4 or DR3... 8-)
TEXT.TXT, A01.PIC, A02.PIC and the rest is real, no ? 8-)
It's been explained several times why the file is not authentic. As to why someone decided to make this, who knows and who cares. Just accept already that it's not legit and neither are the rest of the files most likely. It's really easy to recreate them and you apparently wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

The motivation behind fabricating files has nothing to do with the fact that they're not authentic.

johnlemon647

Post by johnlemon647 »

One day i hope we find Windows 1.0 Tandy 2000 Beta Build. It be nice see what inside Windows 1.0 Tandy 2000 Beta development.

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

@johnlemon647 Even if we can find it, you probably can't run it on an emulator...

Here is an icon of Windows 1.0 at 1983 Comdex that I reconstructed (the Spread Sheet icon):
Last edited by ComputerHunter on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

johnlemon647

Post by johnlemon647 »

It will nice we find any Windows 1.0 Pre DR5 Beta Builds. Nice Reconstructed @ComputerHunter.

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

Here is a group of icons of Windows 1.0 at 1983 Comdex that I reconstructed (the Art, A01.PIC, A02.PIC icon):
ImageImageImage

OltScript131
FTP Access

Post by OltScript131 »

TheCollector1988 wrote:Don't use 1.00 of 86box...
Windows 1.00 DR5 works perfectly on the latest version and latest build of 86Box ! :idea:

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

I meant that 86Box 1.00 is too old for it, there are more modern versions of 86box available.

OltScript131
FTP Access

Post by OltScript131 »

I know and I have it : 86Box 2.00 Build 1830, I was talking about that ! :?

johnlemon647

Post by johnlemon647 »

I'm also starting on my reconstructed project of interface manager to use picture on web and GUI Maker to make demo.

OltScript131
FTP Access

Post by OltScript131 »

Hey, It's not such a bad idea ! :o :idea:

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

I am reconstructing all the icons from 1983 Comdex Build. I still need to do 2 more Art, Calendar, Notepad and Clipboard. After I get all the icons in 64x64 modern ico format, I will convert them to the DR5 format and build sample apps using them on DR5.

I think it might be a bit hard to reconstruct Interface Manager with actual binaries because I am sure the NE format is completely different and those DOS apps are made for Interface Manager (not the same as the ones from MS Mouse).

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

The reconstruction of one image done (probably not):

I've made the clock way too thick and the heuristic reasoning text is from another picture I found.

Overdoze
FTP Access

Post by Overdoze »

The Microsoft logo font isn't exactly accurate either.

ComputerHunter
FTP Access

Post by ComputerHunter »

Overdoze wrote:The Microsoft logo font isn't exactly accurate either.
Why not?