BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 19d, 20h, 33m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5732MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:38 am 
James wrote:
I think the popular consensus has been established to use 86box about twenty times now. I think the point has been made.

@James: I +1 your post.

Look, I don't want to backseat moderate, but I think this thread ought to be locked. The point has been made and there is no use repeating it over and over again. There's an old proverb from somewhere that goes like this (roughly translated to English): "Don't keep grinding the [ground flour] that has already been ground ten times over." That would apply here. Get the point?

Sorry for the rant. If you're an admin, feel free to edit this post as you see fit.

PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:16 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- James: From what I notice, the discussion in this thread is fairly civil. It's not disrupting the forum or violating the rules.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:35 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Battler wrote:
- James: From what I notice, the discussion in this thread is fairly civil. It's not disrupting the forum or violating the rules.

Under no circumstances did I say it did either one of those things. I am simply expressing my opinion that the oft-repeated mantra of "use 86box" has been said in this thread at least a baker's dozen times, and that the point is worn thin. If that's all the discussion is going to contribute, then perhaps it's time we wrap this up?

TuneableSumo876 wrote:
James wrote:
I think the popular consensus has been established to use 86box about twenty times now. I think the point has been made.

@James: I +1 your post.

Look, I don't want to backseat moderate, but I think this thread ought to be locked. The point has been made and there is no use repeating it over and over again. There's an old proverb from somewhere that goes like this (roughly translated to English): "Don't keep grinding the [ground flour] that has already been ground ten times over." That would apply here. Get the point?

Sorry for the rant. If you're an admin, feel free to edit this post as you see fit.

Not really backseat moderating, mate. You're just expressing an opinion.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:10 am 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
Windows 95 and below work perfectly fine in Virtualbox and VMware, although VMware does not have a ps/2 mouse option. Windows 98SE and above only have sound in VMware.
But they install perfectly fine if you disable VT-x/AMD-RV.
No protection errors or anything.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 95 OSR2
If you're planning to use midi in DOS/Win3.x , VMWare, VirtualBox and QEMU are out unless you use something like WinGroove. For Win9x, if PCem/86Box runs too slowly my choice would be VMWare just because it still supports Windows 95, 98, ME as guests. Midi is still an issue but there's either software synthesizers or forcing the ESS sound card in the machine which uses its own wavetable emulation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:21 pm 
Donator

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
Windows 95 and below work perfectly fine in Virtualbox and VMware, although VMware does not have a ps/2 mouse option. Windows 98SE and above only have sound in VMware.
But they install perfectly fine if you disable VT-x/AMD-RV.
No protection errors or anything.

Really? Let's see:
Windows 1.0 pre-releases won't even bother to boot up.
Windows 1.0 has to be patched with Windows 2.x mouse driver for mouse to work.
Win32s 1.30 has known problems under hypervisors.

And no sound? I would hardly call that running perfectly fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:18 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
I never said anything about pre-releases so...

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:51 pm 
Donator

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
I never said anything about pre-releases so...

But your statement is still false, and AlphaBeta perfectly demonstrated why. Look, I'm not saying that VMware and VirtualBox can't run 9x and below, but it is an objective fact that better tools exist for the job.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 3713
I Would have to disagree VMware runs MS-DOS/Windows 95 just fine

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- windowsawsome: Then please provide some evidence to counter AlphaBeta's claims.

PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Battler wrote:
- windowsawsome: Then please provide some evidence to counter AlphaBeta's claims.

I don't know what his arguments will be, but I know that VMWare tools works on Windows 95 and you can set the VM to have the compatibility level of older VMWare versions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
MrFreeman wrote:

I'm waiting for some evidence to counter this.

PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:01 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Battler wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:

I don't even remember posting that; How old is that reply you quoted?

EDIT: I don't believe I even attempted to run pre-release Windows 1.x at all. And unless I'm blind, I can't see that reply anywhere in this thread.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:10 am 
FTP Access

MrFreeman wrote:
Battler wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:

I don't even remember posting that dude. How old is that reply you quoted?

EDIT: I don't believe I even attempted to run pre-release Windows 1.x at all. And unless I'm blind, I can't see that reply anywhere in this thread.
It would seem that Battler accidentally quoted the wrong post (the one that was actually posted by AlphaBeta) when he was replying to you.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
No, quoting AlphaBeta was my intent alright, to emphasize what I was expecting to be countered by solid evidence by the crowd who insists any old Windows is fine for VMWare. Not to mention, the thread's title clearly says "pre-Win95" so why people are using "but Win95 works fine" as a way to try to counter the premise of the thread, is beyond me.

PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:09 pm 
FTP Access

Battler wrote:
No, quoting AlphaBeta was my intent alright, to emphasize what I was expecting to be countered by solid evidence by the crowd who insists any old Windows is fine for VMWare. Not to mention, the thread's title clearly says "pre-Win95" so why people are using "but Win95 works fine" as a way to try to counter the premise of the thread, is beyond me.
Well, it seems to me that you accidentally quoted AlphaBeta's post under the wrong username then, since for some reason the quote is attributed to MrFreeman instead of AlphaBeta.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PSA: Don't use VirtualBox or VMWare for things pre-Win95        Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:52 am 
Administrator

When a topic has run for so long that people can't even quote right and it's all ending with "yes it can" and "no it can't" and arguments about who quotes who it's time to call it quits. I think everything that can be said about this has been said. Let it rest.

Topic finished.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3