What can I do with windows 1.0?

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
Chicago
FTP Access

What can I do with windows 1.0?

Post by Chicago »

Hi!
I just wonder, apart from installing it, and using notepad.exe what can I do with windows 1.0??
Havent ever found any programs at all!
Thanks!

lisiuwah
FTP Access

Post by lisiuwah »

Playing games, mspaint, calc... You can try a floppy edition first:)

Chicago
FTP Access

Post by Chicago »

Oh, i have it on a computer for itself since 2004 but, apart from DOS apps, is there something aveilable to do with it??

lisiuwah
FTP Access

Post by lisiuwah »

Chicago wrote:Oh, i have it on a computer for itself since 2004 but, apart from DOS apps, is there something aveilable to do with it??
it seems that there's not any valuable uses of a system that introduced 20 years ago...

Smartie77
FTP Access

Remember that it's only a "norton commander"

Post by Smartie77 »

Yes,

the first Windows Versions were more like a graphical environment to let you see what stuff is on your disk, point and click instead of typing "dir".
Windows 1.0 is pretty much useless until you are not absolutely interested in DOS apps. Win 1.0 is designed for DOS only.

Hope this clears.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

Windows 1.0 and 2.0 were mainly runtime environments, rather than to be meant by itself.

Some DOS programs were actually windows programs, with Windows 1.0 or 2.0 as dos loaders. I forget which. One should note that the difference between DOS Shell 4 and 5, is that the latter is a kind of Windows 3.0 application, with a different graphics layer etc. Both have dosx and dosswap.

You could use Windows 1.x or 2.x to load specific proggies by pointing the shell to these applications. I did this with Windows 3.1, to get some program to load because progman would not load.

zdanee
FTP Access

Post by zdanee »

Win 2.x was useful as a GUI for MS Word for Windows 1, and early (PC) Excel-s. As for 1.x, there were some demos for it, but I newer saw anything useful on it.

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

There is a copy of Aldus PageMaker somewhere, you could install that and use your copy of Windows 1.0 for some serious DTP.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

idontknow
FTP Access

Post by idontknow »

If you want programs for Windows 1.x, http://toastytech.com/guis/w1w2app.zip has some windows 1 programs you can use... why...

Note: Some programs are converted so they can run in Windows 3.x+

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

You can use Windows 1.0 to manage your files using the MS-DOS Executive, but this version also includes various applets, such as Calendar, Cardfile, Paint, Write, so you could also use Windows 1.0 to do some word processing, and the Calendar and Cardfile applets are also useful. But most software developers didn't start developing applications for Windows until 2.0 or even 3.0, so there arn't very many applications designed for Windows 1.0.

Chicago
FTP Access

Post by Chicago »

WinPC wrote:You can use Windows 1.0 to manage your files using the MS-DOS Executive, but this version also includes various applets, such as Calendar, Cardfile, Paint, Write, so you could also use Windows 1.0 to do some word processing, and the Calendar and Cardfile applets are also useful. But most software developers didn't start developing applications for Windows until 2.0 or even 3.0, so there arn't very many applications designed for Windows 1.0.
LOL
I've realized
as i told, I know every inch on Windows 1.0 because it was my obsession during two years.
I tried to use it as my main operating system, and I did so for a 4 month period (I had no access to internet, so DOS was good)
Thanks for the zip!!

Chicago
FTP Access

Post by Chicago »

idontknow wrote:If you want programs for Windows 1.x, http://toastytech.com/guis/w1w2app.zip has some windows 1 programs you can use... why...

Note: Some programs are converted so they can run in Windows 3.x+
Wow, thanks!!
Finally something "usefull" I can do with Windows 1.0!
Nice thing!!
Thank you very much!

zdanee
FTP Access

Post by zdanee »

O_o Use it as a main OpSys for 1/3rd year? How? What for? Why not GEM? Why not *nix? OS/2? Even a slide rule has better capabilities, than a PC cursed with Win 1.x.

Chicago
FTP Access

Post by Chicago »

zdanee wrote:O_o Use it as a main OpSys for 1/3rd year? How? What for? Why not GEM? Why not *nix? OS/2? Even a slide rule has better capabilities, than a PC cursed with Win 1.x.
Well, it was nothing more than an obsesion I had, and plenty DOS Programs.
I was ...hmmm.... let's see, 14 years old (Now I'm 18). I was particuarly interested on old Software. I remember that when internet was a big thing for me I used to perform searches in my computer, sort them by date and then see which was the oldest file I had!!
I remember a file from 1992 on my WinMe particularly amazed me.
Now, thought, I've got some CP/M betas which are from 1974.
But, for a guy like me Windows 1 was particularly charming!
LOL

zdanee
FTP Access

Post by zdanee »

Oldest file on my computer...I think its Personal Editor II, from 1986. My mom used it on her XT for her documents. I keep all the files from my previous systems, since a few years ago I even keep the HDD images in a VPC. This XT system had no HDD, so its only a few floppy images, a few with DOS 4.01, another with DOS 3.10, ancient Norton Commanders, a couple of versions of Word Perfect, and a hell lot of documents. All on 5.25" discs, sadly, when I discovered them years ago and made a backup a lot of them were already corrupted. Oh, and the oldest email-archive I found was from 1989 (same XT machine).

tpemail
FTP Access

Post by tpemail »

Recently I've got some Chinese books about Windows 1.X...
There might be something interesting
(Hadn't try finding English books yet, sorry)

I remember there was some Win1.X apps somewhere...I'll see if I can find it

Jamson

Post by Jamson »

Win 1.0 is useless, Win 3.1 was much better. Good times playing old games in that.