BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 8h, 59m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 2342MB of 3971MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 3.1 Bootable Floppy .img for Bochs PSP        Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4015.lab06
Hey all,

Recently, i've seen Win95 running on the PSP, and it runs very slow, so i thought that Win3.1 would run better. It runs in the emulator Bochs, ported to PSP. The bochs' hard disk files are stored in .img files, so couldn't a .img file of a Win3.1 work with it also? Could someone up one to SP for me please?

Also, if anyone has knowledge of PSP etc, Where does this get its RAM from? I only have 32kb in flash0.

PS. Just in case you people want some specs of the PSP
[hint]to start developing a win3.1 based custom os for it[/hint]

Clock speed: 333 mhz
RAM: not so sure, but i know bochs gives it 8 megs

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm 
Donator

You'll need a HD image file w/DOS and Win3.1 installed with a geometry that Bochs can accept. This has nothing to do with the ".img" extension of the files, Bochs will accept any image as long as its settings are correct.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:16 pm 
Donator

I already uploaded a Bochs image file a little while ago that contains a fresh install of Windows 3.1 and MS-DOS 6.22.

Edit: Yep, it's on SillyProject as "Windows 3.1 + MS-DOS 6.22 (Bochs).rar"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4015.lab06
Also, does it boot straight into Win3.1? If i have to type 'win', remember, the PSP has no keyboard.

Is there a Win3.1 that boots straight into windows? Could someone hack the image that mdogg upped to boot straight?

Please and thank you!!

Oh, and could someone make me a "bochsrc.bxrc"? Or tell me how? I don't really understand the concept.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:09 am 
Donator

To get it to boot into Windows automatically, edit the autoexec.bat file and add "win" (without quotes) at the end. That will make it boot directly into Windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4015.lab06
Ok, thanks, but i have another image to test in Bochs and i wanted to calculate the SPT, cylinders etc, but i don't know how. Is there a program for the .img's that Bochs uses to calculate the information for me?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
The smallest install of Windows i had on a floppy was 14K. This required the source files on the cdrom, but it worked quite well in a 1M ram disk. This was basically a network install, using S:\WINDOZE as the source directory. The home directory is R:\WINDOZE, has a single archive, containing something like the .INI and .GRP files. Win.com and winver.exe were copied from the cdrom at boot-time (literally, made at boot).

The smallest install of Windows i had off a floppy was just over 1 MB. It was basically thinned out according to the instructions in some book, and then the shell was set to SOL.EXE. DOS would basically boot, load a ramdisk, and then unzip the archive to ram. Then it would load Windows into core, and Windows would run SOL.EXE in standard mode.

Top  Profile  WWW