BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 19d, 22h, 29m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 5877MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I've updated the ICO converter so you can now convert modern icons to the old format, provided that you stick to the limitations of the latter.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:41 am 
FTP Access

Sometimes the icon converter works but most of the times it doesn't.

I made an icon out of a 1 bit 64x64 black&white PNG and converted using the converter but the result is completely different from the original icon.

I am sure my icon has only one 64x64 monochrome image and it meets all the criteria but it doesn't work. Maybe there are other limitations for the new icon format that we don't know yet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Forgot to mention you can't use PNGs, only BMPs for now.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:34 am 
FTP Access

New findings!

I tried to launch as many instances of Calculator as possible and see what I can find. After launching 17 instances, the taskbar became twice as high.

Afterwards, I tried to launch more Calculators and after launching 36 times, the taskbar became 3 times the height of a normal taskbar.

After launching it 60 times, only 50 windows are shown and the one of the window title became Button! I can see glitches then it was not responding and eventually crashed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
The icon area growing is standard behaviour in all builds. The more windows you open, the more icons you can create by minimizing them, so the icon area grows in size in order to accomodate all potential icons if you would minimize all windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:17 am 
FTP Access

I was looking at Vetusware's DR5 download page and according to johnk624's comment:
johnk624 wrote:
Have been looking for this FOREVER! I was working for a distributor of PC's when this came out, and all us salespeople got a copy, in 8 floppy's. Thanks so much for this :)
There are 8 floppies distributed to salespeople!

I know this is not something exciting but wonder what the other floppies could be.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
A stranger said it on the internet so it must be true.

Considering he didn't mention the format of the disks in question, there's really only two options to consider: either 180 kB or 360 kB. Microsoft didn't use 180 kB disks much after DOS 2.0 came out in early 1983 I believe, so DR5 on such disks seems very unlikely, unless it was for some specific OEM machine that only supported such disks. Windows could only run on DOS 2.0 anyway, which supported 360 kB disks, as did the original 5150 disk drives. So there was very little reason to use 180 kB disks.

On the other hand, eight 360 kB disks is a lot for Windows 1.0. The entire final 1.01 SDK comes on that many disks (minus the four runtime disks for Windows itself), and that includes some limited digital documentation, code samples, demo apps, and Windows-specific development tools. DR5 is very feature-limited compared to that, so I really don't see what they could fill those five additional disks with. Code samples and tools are already on the three disks we have, and digital documentation was very limited back in the day, because paper copies were cheaper to mass produce and easier to use.

Perhaps if you included the C compiler, assembler, and debugger you'd fill the disks, but I also doubt Microsoft just gave those away for free with a beta. More likely than not it was expected for software developers to already own those products anyway. Which brings me to another point, that is what would sales people do with this exactly? It's not some fancy demo they could tout to customers, it's quite clearly oriented towards software developers who wish to get familiar with application development for Windows. But I don't know Microsoft's distribution practices from back then all that well, so I won't completely rule out this possibility either.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:05 am 

Has anyone tried to put the trash icon on DR5? I can't seem to get it working using the icon converter.
johnlemon647, can you send me your Windows Hello program? I can't make it myself and trying to change icon using Resource Hacker doesn't work. I really want to see the trash icon in action.

Can somebody please kindly put up the disassembled code of DR5? I can't get the loader to work in IDA. Thanks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:34 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 1.0 DR5
@Jerry I will send you the files now i got find it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Jerry056 wrote:
Has anyone tried to put the trash icon on DR5? I can't seem to get it working using the icon converter.
johnlemon647, can you send me your Windows Hello program? I can't make it myself and trying to change icon using Resource Hacker doesn't work. I really want to see the trash icon in action.

Can somebody please kindly put up the disassembled code of DR5? I can't get the loader to work in IDA. Thanks.

If you tell me what exactly is the problem with conversion, I can try to help.

As far as the loader goes, put the Python file into the loaders folder where IDA is installed. Then when you try do disassemble a DR5 EXE you should get the option to use the DR5 loader.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:55 am 
FTP Access

Use IDA Pro, make sure you have Python installed. Here are those anyway: https://mega.nz/#!pAUwBSKQ!5TxyYj9SwX1v ... qQOAMyosFM

How the icon look in DR5:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:02 pm 

Actually I am wondering is it is possible to edit resources in DR5. I know resource hacker for 32 and 64 bit executables and resource workshop for Windows 3.0+ 16 bit Windows executables but there is no app to modify DR5 to Windows 2.x resources.

johnlemon647, PM me once you find them please. How did you write a program in Windows 1.x?

Overdoze, I edited the trash icon and when I put it unto your program its output in DR5 looks completely different and random.

ComputerHunter, thanks for your files. I looked and the strings are sometimes hard to find as each character is on a different line. Do you mind making a string table for me? I only need msdos.exe, windows.exe, gdi.exe and kernel.exe.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 pm 
FTP Access

If you look at the last few strings, they are completely random and I have no idea why. You can actually find some unused strings in my string table below.

KERNEL.EXE: https://pastebin.com/N2T7ceSr
WINDOWS.EXE: https://pastebin.com/bjsFmY2d
GDI.EXE: https://pastebin.com/zXNZdU70
MSDOS.EXE: https://pastebin.com/Jqqw3jDw

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Jerry056 wrote:
Overdoze, I edited the trash icon and when I put it unto your program its output in DR5 looks completely different and random.

I hope you read about the limitations of the old icon format in the readme on github. Aside from this, I wouldn't mind if you provided this particular icon so I can test things.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Development Release #5
Jerry056 wrote:
ComputerHunter, thanks for your files. I looked and the strings are sometimes hard to find as each character is on a different line. Do you mind making a string table for me? I only need msdos.exe, windows.exe, gdi.exe and kernel.exe.

It will not give you any more strings than just running GNU strings would.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:21 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 1.0 DR5
@Jerry056 I put TRASH.ICO in Windows 1.01 SDK Hello World Program, i replace old Hello World Program Icon with TRASH.ICO renamed to HELLO.ICO. Now i lost the Hello World Program with TRASH.ICO file.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:10 am 
FTP Access

I am not sure if anybody is aware of the %1 %2 %3 in MSWIN.BAT. I wonder what they mean...
My explanation would be KERNEL.EXE support 3 arguments (passed on from MSWIN.BAT).

I tested my hypothesis with the command
Code:
MSWIN CLOCK
and it opened Clock after booting into Windows. I then tested with 2 more arguments but it only open the first app. Same goes for 2 arguments...

I am not sure if anybody else know this but are there anything else ready to be discovered?

Edit: It look like all apps except for CLIP and CONTROL works. If two were used, it will open them like this:

Note the height of the two windows. Only MSDOS can get snapped like this and by having 3 MSDOSs, two will open and the other one will be minimized.

You can also have
Code:
KERNEL MSDOS MSDOS MSDOS MSDOS
and that will open 3 MS-DOS Executive windows and the last one will be minimized.

Having 20 MSDOSs will give you:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5 research th        Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:24 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 1.0 DR5
I wish we know these make application for Windows 1.0 Pre-DR5 but make Pre-DR5 application for Windows 1.0 DR5.

Top  Profile  WWW