BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 58d, 11h, 5m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5741MB of 10786MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Laptop won't power on        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:00 am 
Donator

I attempted to turn my laptop on today, howeverit wouldn't. It has been sat for roughly a week on a desk and hasn't been powered on in that time. The chargers power-brick has an LED on it that lights up when it is plugged in, however the laptops "Charging indicator" does not light up. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop won't power on        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows CE 2.11 Build 9015
Did you leave the battery without charge? When uncharged for even small periods of time, batteries tend to die rather quickly.

Try leaving it plugged in for some time, and if it still doesn't boot, it could be a more serious problem.

-Commanderraf

Help me get to my goal of 5 bitcoins! Donate to 166wvZUzA8j7Ltf3eZZK8KW1fCeiAPFVtr

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop won't power on        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:09 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Maybe your power board is fried (A.C plug, battery), and your computer cannot pick up any power.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop won't power on        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
try removing the battery and powering on the laptop

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop won't power on        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:53 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
It could be any number of things:

1. PSU is dead (this can happen without warning. If you have a digital multimeter, you can check the voltage of the PSU to see if it is outputting anywhere near what it should. Bare in mind a 19v PSU may still put out 19v when dead, but sag when a load is applied. A 19v PSU may also show more or less than 19v too with no load).
2. Battery is dead and stopping the PSU working (although the PSU shouldn't stop working because of it, it can stop the battery charging. This can happen when you leave it dead too long and it's inbuilt circuitry cuts it off to stop a cascade effect occurring when you next charge it, which would mean an exploding battery).
3. The PSU socket is loose and not allowing power flow (this can happen to anyone and is a common fault of laptops. Test it by wiggling the power lead around while pressing the power button to see if it gets any power)
4. The hardware side of the power switch has "crashed" and needs a hard restart (to test this one, disconnect the battery and the PSU lead. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds. Now replace the battery and PSU lead and attempt to power on.)

With 1-3, you're not going to get anywhere without replacement of the components mentioned. I've had to do number 4 myself a few times with a few laptops, including this netbook, so give that one a go.

Hope this helps!

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop won't power on        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:15 am 
Donator

Thanks Andy, I've given 4 a go multiple times and a few various ways. I'm starting to think it may be the PSU as the wiring near the jack looks bent possibly fraid inside the cladding however I don't want to shell out £20 on a new PSU just on a hunch so I'm going to have to wait 4 weeks until I can visit a family member who has the same laptop and naturally same PSU. If that fails I guess it must be a hardware problem, as everything else seems fine.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop won't power on        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:26 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
You don't need to use the same PSU, just use one that is +/-1v of the PSU you have and at least the same current rating or higher. Also of course the plug must be right. What you can do is get a new PSU, if it doesn't work then take it back saying it doesn't work/was the wrong one. If it does then its £20 well spent :)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW