BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 7h, 30m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 5430MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: USB Flash Drive Boot        Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:07 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
I would like to boot Windows ME setup on my flash drive using my computer. ANybody know how I can do this with NO floppy, or zip disk, and cannot make cds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: USB Flash Drive Boot        Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
Windows ME setup on a USB disk? I'm pretty sure it's impossible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: USB Flash Drive Boot        Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:21 am 
Donator

I've Tried that. I would NOT recommend doing that.

if only a USB to IDE or ATAPI converter existed, then it might be plausible.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: USB Flash Drive Boot        Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:34 am 
FTP Access

The Windows ME setup is DOS based so you can install Dos onto the USB drive using the HP USB format tool
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

your going to want to use different DOS files than the one the HP tool uses so if youv got a floppy drive(If you don't the 98 files on that site may or may not work with the Windows ME setup) and are running Windows ME or newer format a floppy and select the Create a DOS startup disk then your going to want to put A:\ in the HP format tool for Using DOS system files located at so that way the USB drive will end up with the correct Dos version.

then your going to want to copy the files from the Windows ME Cd to your usb drive.

When the files are copied you are ready to install from the USB drive

When in the Dos prompt your going to want to either goto a folder called i386 or Setup(don't remember what its called been a while lol) by typing cd i386 or cd setup and press enter and then your going to want to type setup.exe /c /is (disables the running of Smartdrive and Scandisk during setup)

Top  Profile