BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 2h, 0m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 4297MB of 10321MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Rules to get 10 messages to view public and private servers        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:15 pm 
FTP Access

Hello,
I'm sorry but i think this idea is stupid. Why force people to post things to gain access to this list ?

Quote:
I have a public server, and i would like to fetch some archive that i've lost, but you cannot force people to post to get their 10 messages !

Beta could be very useful for those who likes old software, i've got no problems from microsoft for my betas, so why keep them locked ?

You said :
Quote:
7. The following will NOT be accepted on this forum and will result in an instant ban:
No warez (warez is things that you would normally pay for and is a completed product by a company)
No copyrighted software

but Beta are copyrighted softwares, also as source code, so why hide servers? It's illegal. Point.

@+
Anton

ps : sorry for mu badly english

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:47 pm 
Donator

The main reason there's a 10-post limit is because places like this attract people who sign up here just to get the FTP usernames/passwords, then leave the forum. We want people to hang around a bit, and contribute positively to the community, so we can grow larger. We've also had problems in the past with people signing up, grabbing all of the FTP details, and leaking them to another forum which is not good as it means less resources for the community here while the other forum chokes our limited FTP bandwidth.

It sucks, but it's a measure we need to take. You've got over 10 posts now so you should be fine. :)

Also, with regards to the "No copyrighted software" ... I think its trying to reference warez software (as in, retail stuff). Sure betas are copyrighted, but they're rare, and were never something you could go and buy (unless you paid $20 for a Customer Preview Program CD to be shipped to you), therefore most software companies won't come after you if you're helping to make available older betas for historical purposes. This might need to be changed in the rules, it is a little confusing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:08 am 
FTP Access

Hu, i don't want to post 10 posts to get theses access but I don't want to see a filled of unintresstig posts.

Due to copyright problem, the problem is the tolerance of the editors. Many of them doesn't care about theses, unless you do commercial on it.

I think so it could be better to change it on the rules ;-)
If somes of you are intrested to bring a great database of old operating system, tell me.
There is a small exemple here :
http://anotherworld.eu.org/Anonymous_FT ... ing_System

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
The rules arn't going to be changed.

Why do people like you think they deserve access to a wide range of servers, archives of Beta OS's, for doing nothing?

In a way, posting is the way to help pay for the Servers, if you let everyone access to them, then the speeds, and the bandwidth get used up in the first day.

The Servers are not free you know, the users (if not there parents) have to pay to run these servers, and they are doing it for nothing for there users, so what if you have to post 10 or so good posts, it isn't a high price to pay.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:48 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I pay £60 ($125) a month for the 10Mbps dedicated server that holds the mass majority of files available on this website. Its is expensive and it sucks away pretty much all of my student allowance, which, to be fair, isnt all that much (£20 a week).

I host this server because I know people love it. I don't have to pay this money for the server, I have plenty of space at home for storing my BETAs (and I do store them at home), but I do it because I enjoy it more than anything.

I dont ask for donations because I know Ill never get any. In the two years Ive run my other help website Ive had one donation and many millions of visitors. I pay for it with my own money, so please don't complain when there are rules and enforcements in place. If you had a server you would do exactly the same when it gets leeched to death and you have to pay bandwidth overages of £1 per GB.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:00 am 
Donator

Perfectly said, Andy.

We should all, all be aware that this server has not been given by God or whoever, but by you and is paid by you although we don't give you any money back for that great server that is fast, reliable and offers sufficient storage. Honestly, if this server weren't there, we would not have many possibilities to adequately store and serve the files because private servers run from home are usually slower and mostly not permanently available. I say mostly.

And I share the opinion it's more than justifiable if there's the rule to enforce people to make 10 contributing posts before they get access to the servers. Let's be honest, 10 posts is actually nothing. This is a contributing and sharing community, not meant for leechers. If the server access weren't protected somehow, how many people do you think would join here, grab the server login details and then vanish forever?

People should recognize the value of a) such a community, b) such a server and c) the betas on it. I do, as I am a beta collector and am happy that I have been given a second chance after I didn't manage to be very active on OSBA and have no idea what goodies were on its servers (and might now be partly lost forever). I hope this community gets at least as good, and I think it's on the best way possible to achieve that.

To sum it up, seeing how much I get from this site, I am more than willing to give something back in return, a) contributing posts and b) uploads to the server. And everyone here should, in my eyes, think so. If you complain about the fact that the servers are somehow protected, you have, in my eyes, failed to recognize the concept we're following here.

Just my $0.02...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:05 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Another well said post.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:11 am 
Donator

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:13 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Don't be embarrased by it. You're simply standing your ground like any respecting member should do.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:00 pm 
Donator

atomcomputer wrote:
Hu, i don't want to post 10 posts to get theses access but I don't want to see a filled of unintresstig posts.

Due to copyright problem, the problem is the tolerance of the editors. Many of them doesn't care about theses, unless you do commercial on it.

If somes of you are intrested to bring a great database of old operating system, tell me.

windows 1.00 is 1.03 on that site ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:35 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
___ wrote:
atomcomputer wrote:

windows 1.00 is 1.03 on that site ;)

I checked this out right away. Found the same thing :wink:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:06 pm 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
I pay £60 ($125) a month for the 10Mbps dedicated server that holds the mass majority of files available on this website. Its is expensive and it sucks away pretty much all of my student allowance, which, to be fair, isnt all that much (£20 a week).

You know, it's the same for me. I pay ~$40 for a 100mbits dedicated server that hold ~15website. I work at McDonald's, and I get ~$600 for 80Hours a month :-/

Andy wrote:
I host this server because I know people love it. I don't have to pay this money for the server, I have plenty of space at home for storing my BETAs (and I do store them at home), but I do it because I enjoy it more than anything.

I think so that's true ;-)

Andy wrote:
I dont ask for donations because I know Ill never get any. In the two years Ive run my other help website Ive had one donation and many millions of visitors. I pay for it with my own money, so please don't complain when there are rules and enforcements in place. If you had a server you would do exactly the same when it gets leeched to death and you have to pay bandwidth overages of £1 per GB.

I know that it's not funny to be leeched and to have to pay for this :-(
Can you do QoS? I know that if there is this only solution, this is the only thing to reduce traffic :'(

empireum wrote:
Yes, perfectly said

nothing to add ;)

In fact, If I can help you to mirror max of betas, that could be great. I haven't BW limit. In France, we have a lot of dedicated server for a very small price due to the concurence between the national operator and some outsiders. Severals days ago, the Belgium was in this case and before it was the England ...

Oh, i've renamed windows 1.00 to 1.03, a badly error ;)
Thank you very much for your discussion. I think i'll stay here for a long time ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:12 pm 
Donator

Glad you didn't get drawn away by our discussion and reaction to your idea. I was afraid it might have been a bit harsh. But I think you can now understand that and why we need and want to protect our server and bandwidth from being leeched/stolen by other people if they don't contribute.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:47 pm 
FTP Access

I understand well that you say. It was harsh but, I prefere that because it's clear. And, in most of cases (on other forums), the moderators preferes delete the message instand of a discussion. A debate is more instructive than an hard moderation ;-)
Thanks !

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:51 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Hi, sorry about the bump, but it seemed more logical to say it in this thread. What's this about applying for the Members group? How would I go about that, or is it automatic, something to do with the number of posts?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:52 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
You read the contributions rules and that will tell you how to do it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:38 pm 
FTP Access

Might i also add that it's not that hard to get into the members group, so anyone with English skills and any sort of knowledge should be able to get in, right?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:53 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Just about yes. As long as you contribute to beta topics etc then you have every chance of getting in, no matter how little knowledge you have.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
OK. I've done it, thanks. There's some great stuff there, and I would like to contribute in any way I can.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:02 am 
Donator

That's easy :) Just stay around here, make proper discussion and upload if you have something to upload :D That's all we ask for. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Note to new users:

If you post in continually bad grammer, your posts do not make sense, or you just post stupid remarks or 1 word replies, I will go through and delete all your spam.

Thank you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:26 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Good idea. Hopefully it will stop people gaining access so easily.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:43 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
No, its not. And I should remind you none of your posts so far are contributing posts so don't think you can sign up to the group and be accepted. I do check all posts.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:58 pm 
Donator

@Helmi
It's not bad. We don't want leechers to come here and leech our files without doing any contribution.

@Andy
What do you think – how big is the chance we'll see him again? :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:59 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Id say 0 in 10. Ive deleted the user. Its obvious he/she just wanted access to the servers and went offline after 10 posts. Easily spotted spammer.

Top  Profile  WWW