BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 23h, 53m | CPU: 7% | MEM: 1821MB of 3343MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

How often you reinstall your OS?
Once a month or shorter 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Once every 2 months 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
Once every 3 months 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
Once every half an year 21%  21%  [ 22 ]
Once every year or longer 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Never reinstall until it totally broken 30%  30%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 105
 PostPost subject: How often you reinstall your OS?        Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win2000
As title...Wondering how M$'s system screws our life :D

Anyway...Recommended that you tell what OS you're using since different OSes matters.

I personally never reinstall OSes until it got totally broken. My current Win2000 installation had been used for over 3 years (Since 2003/8/8) without reinstalling or ghost recovering. :)

Last edited by tpemail on Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:51 pm 
Donator

Never had to reinstall since I switched to Macs as a primary machine, my OS X install on my 1st Mac's been running for 2 years without a single problem. On Windows, I usually reinstall every 6 to 12 months or so, just for the heck of it :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:28 pm 
FTP Access

I reinstall my OS every half year. Microsoft Windows XP. Fedora which is also on the PC has never been reinstalled.

It also depends on how often and heavy you use it really. Like downloading heaps of applications for many things you have to do usually clutters the hell out of Windows until it takes 10 minutes or more to boot, thats when i usually backup and reinstall :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:00 pm 
Staff

I try to avoid to ever having to re-install which is why I keep two backups if anything ever goes wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:01 pm 

2 for years :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:55 pm 
Donator

on my Desktop-PC, my nLite version of XP runs for over 2 years, without a problem and my Notebook is 4 months old. In 1 or 2 months I'm going to reinstall it, because this is my developing notebook it becomes slow very soon :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:31 am 
FTP Access

I've still got the same installation of XP Pro that I put on my laptop 2 and a half years ago when I got it - I'm hopefully going to reinstall soon though, I'll do this when I get Vista and a second hard drive. I'm sure it's not as fast as it used to be - it certainly takes longer to boot. I don't know if I'll have time to do it for a while though.

How do some of you manage to reinstall every few months? As once you've reinstalled Windows it then takes absolutely ages to reinstall all your programs and games, and apply all the settings to them (and to Windows) that you want.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:15 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
How do some of you manage to reinstall every few months? As once you've reinstalled Windows it then takes absolutely ages to reinstall all your programs and games, and apply all the settings to them (and to Windows) that you want.

I personally have two (actually three) methods I choose from when reinstalling one of my Windows boxes.

1) Complete reinstall: I reinstall Windows and every single application from scratch and configure them the way I want. This usually takes one night (yes, I am doing such things at night because I have the time and am undisturbed).

2) Image: I reinstall Windows and the most neceasary applications, configuring them once and then make an image of that. If I need to reinstall, I apply the image and then start adding the other stuff that I don't absolutely need.

3) VM: I have a VM with Windows XP and my most necessary apps I have to use daily when working with Windows. If my host OS gets messed up, I reinstall it (or boot into Linux because all my machines running Windows are also running Linux), install the necessary drivers and then use the VM to do my work until I actually get the time to set my host OS up properly.

But, to be honest, since switched to Mac OS X, I have not wasted one single thought to reinstalling this OS. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:22 am 
FTP Access

I do it every 2 months. Don't ask me why, its just a habit I got into.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:30 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I do it when it needs doing, eg, something wont work or the OS dies totally.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
I reinstall alot, usually within the month on my personal PC.
On the family PC, I haven't gotten a chance to reinstall it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:09 am 
Donator

My main OS (Gentoo Linux): almost never.
Windows: when it craps out (every 5 months or so).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
I Reinstall the OS Every month or less because when I want to test a different OS.
This install has lasted for longer than a month and I'm gonna see how long i can keep this install going.
On my other PC's the installs last less than i month because they are my testing machines :P.
And my Macintoshes Their installs probably last a year my pb 190CS just got it's yearly reinstall of Mac OS 7.6.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:45 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
For one reason or another it ends up that I reinstall Windows x64 about twice a year...

Soon i'll be doing it this year because of vista :-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:01 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
I usually reinstall my main OS every 2 weeks and my secondary OS every 3 days :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:36 pm 
Donator

i only reinstall it if someone has gone really wrong and would be just easier to reinstall than fix

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win2000
Evan wrote:
It also depends on how often and heavy you use it really. Like downloading heaps of applications for many things you have to do usually clutters the hell out of Windows until it takes 10 minutes or more to boot, thats when i usually backup and reinstall :P

Ah yeah.
Well....3 years of using is really enough to destroy a XP installation :D
After I installed my Win2000 I almost use it everyday and hugeily. I run eMule, Share (a Japanese P2P client), BitTorrent almost every day and without shutting down until very fatal error happened. Averagely I could keep my Win2000 run over a month without shutting down. But for XP is not over a week. :x
And of course, it got viruses, worms and spywares' attacked before, but I managed to remove them manually and keep the system running properly.
btw now my "programs" group in the startup menu occupies half of the screen (on 1280X1024) :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:00 pm 
FTP Access

tpemail wrote:
But for XP is not over a week.

XP runs for ages for me - I've had over a month before (though that includes being on standby overnight and when I'm not using it), although I've started getting really weird issues that occur after it's been on standby, like games performing really poorly (not due to just general long-uptime slowness though - seems to be something specific with standby - this machine hates standby for some reason), so I have to restart for that.

tpemail wrote:
btw now my "programs" group in the startup menu occupies half of the screen (on 1280X1024) :)

Mine takes up a lot more than half the screen at that resolution, and I'm using the Classic Start Menu, in which the icons in the Programs menu are not spaced out as much as with the XP Style Menu. There's probably quite a few in there that I don't use anymore though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win2000
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
XP runs for ages for me - I've had over a month before (though that includes being on standby overnight and when I'm not using it)...

hmm...Is it just me? :?
Almost none of my XP could run over a week without restarting (no matter the HP OEM one or the warez ones from the Internet.) They always got bunches of odd issues after a long while using. Like some of the programs or hardware don't run properly or at all. Once the HP OEM one on my notebook even had all USB malfunction until I restart :x
And it easily run out of system resources. Also almost all my XPs would often lag for no reason. And the texts in IE often mess up in XP. But above all those problems never happened in my Win2000.
Actually I just deleted a crapped XP installation on my AthlonXP. The problem is it runs real slow, lag often. But the oddest is that the system language got totally changed and become a real mess :evil:

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Mine takes up a lot more than half the screen at that resolution, ...

Had it clog over the screen range? :shock:
My menu had bunches of programs that I almost never run after installation too...Some of them even not exist anymore. But I did cleaned some before this.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:50 am 
Donator

I reinstall whenever I need to, which is about every 6 months...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:44 pm 
FTP Access

Every new season. So I installed Windows 2000 SP4 when Winter Break started. I just recently un-installed Ubuntu and Windows XP from my computer since they lag tremendously. I also haven't used my Mac in quite some time, so I plan on switching back to Mac OS X Panther (10.3.9) for the Winter holiday. :)

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:05 pm 
FTP Access

I would say every 3-5 months.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:16 pm 
FTP Access

My NT 5.0 lives since installing on new laptop in october 2006, NT 4.0 was new installed, because I just copied it from old to new laptop and there were several problems, normally I install NT 4.0 only once, but NT 5.0 every 6-9 months new.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:26 pm 
FTP Access

I might like to add that windows 95 on my 486 PC has been installed on there since 1997, never been reinstalled =P.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:22 pm 
Donator

but how often is it used? :lol:

Top  Profile