BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 20d, 14h, 21m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 5783MB of 12011MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP x64 SP3
I've just started making something in the last few hours, just the UI at the moment; the fields just obtain dummy data from the database.

Basically what this will do is keep track of software and what license it has then, if it has a license that will expire, it will email out to let the users know that it is about to expire.

Just need to know what you think of the UI at the moment? - Be brutal!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
honestly i cant find any problems with those screens , its clean and the font is great

nice work

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:34 am 
FTP Access

The overall design looks great, a few minor tweaks can make it look better.

• "Please Log in" should be under "Welcome", it just follows the logical order of things.
  • Alphabetize the list
  • If it becomes too big, categorize the list (OS, System apps, Design apps, etc.) and of course an option to show all.
  • There's a bunch of space on the bottom so the window can be made smaller.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
IMO, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511258.aspx
Windows Vista User Guidelines.

And BTW, you can fix the "About" screen, it's too gray. Make it white, or have it like the main window.
You should also make the scrollbox in the center and make it wider, larger fonts and the description under the name.
License key should also be there, and the "Send License Alerts" should be at the bottom.

Basically, make it look like the Add/Remove programs (appwiz.cpl)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP x64 SP3
Thank you very much for all of your in-sights!

The Guidelines posted on the MSDN link are particularly useful! The good guide to user interfaces! :)

'TheWahibnator', I like the sound of categorising the list, I shall investigate this! The space underneath is hopefully going to be the area for some buttons, I hope to make a row of buttons that follow the curvature of the white arc. @ 'PortalCake', I most certainly agree about the colour of the 'About' dialogue. Funny you should mention 'Add/remove', I was looking at both that and the V6 Windows Update service for XP, hopefully, when everything works, the information shown about each product will collapse and expand using the button next to the software title (which I currently detest!) - I've got a lot of work ahead of me!

This is showing to be a wonderful community, I'm glad I've stumbled upon it!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:40 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Icons?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:36 am 
Donator

This is with my criticism set to max:

The pre-login screen is a great background, but it has no buttons. I doubt you meant for this to be titled "All rights reserved." - that's not the subject of the pre-login box so it shouldn't be in the title window. As an alternative, try changing the title to "Software License Management", and having "All rights reserved" written in grey or brown in 6-8point Arial bottom right of the pre-login dialog, with buttons reading "Log-in" and "Close" near the bottom of this dialog.

This application isn't called "Software Management License" or "Management Software License", so the placing of "Management" shouldn't be discretionary. As an alternative, try looking at moving this around so that "Software" and "License" are on the same line.

What's up with the login box? The background abruptly stops and it changes to a "Hello World" type username and password entry area. As an alternative try extending the image as a background to this dialog and setting the text to be transparent.

On the login box, use "Log-in" as the button caption - "OK" should be used when clicking it dismisses a dialog or applies a group of actions; not as a single action.

On the main screen, the most obvious visual quirk is the massive gap starting half-way down the window. I'm undecided on whether this is a negative quirk, as it does add space and doesn't obviously detract. That's okay, but the listbox, and search area on this dialog is out of the white interaction area background... The interaction area background needs extended and this needs moved down to fit within it.

Above the item description area there's a massive gap in what looks like it should be the title area, I would add a reasonably large title in this area.

What are "license alerts"? this needs rephrased. I don't know, and sure, you could explain it, but if you can paraphrase this to be self-explaining it would be an improvement.

The grey item area background is too dull. It detracts from the great background, and it looks like these fields would be fine with the generic window background grey removed to transparent or set to white to fit in with the rest of this application.

The about box looks like it would suit Windows 9x; do you really need the read-only text area with scrollbar for two lines of text?
Seriously though, these screens look good. Take my above criticism with the knowledge that I'm being brutal, and if you don't see a problem where I do, there probably isn't one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP x64 SP3
Thanks Andy for the pointers, shall take them on-board and will post new screenies when I've made the alterations! (Y)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
I wish that i could do that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:43 am 
Donator

You can. Add a few bitmaps and change up some controls.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:45 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Debian Linux
Not bad for an application.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:35 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP x64 SP3
Windows OCManage wrote:
You can. Add a few bitmaps and change up some controls.

Indeed - whilst people seem to like the interface, all it requires is a proficiency in Photoshop and you can drag them in as individual elements to make the whole 'picture' (application)! Quite fun really!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:28 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
I like the graphics and all, but the main window has a bit too much useless space. It would just be a pain to someone who has a 1024x768 screen (the window, with the XP theme, is 1024x800 pixels)
Offtopic Comment
You might want to edit out the adobe CS3 licence key. :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP x64 SP3
That is a very good comment about the height of the XP bar!

Offtopic Comment
I thought I'd be generous and give out a free key! - Nawt! Dummy Adobe CS3 Product key! :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: UI - be brutal!        Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:41 am 
FTP Access

Looks good, light and easy.
Please use another font than MS Sans Serif or Arial or what this is supposed to be.
Either use the system's setting (which would be Tahoma in default XP) or use Tahome, Trebuchet MS or Segoe UI (Vista) but the used one is ugly.
And also please, please remove that unneccessary background image.
It's ok for the splash and the about box, for the log in I could tolerate it but in normal windows it's a no-go (this is one of the many things I hate in Windows Live Wave 3)
Just use a plain background.
This is XP folks, so no white dialogs and windows. Use the ugly default yellowish-brown that is configured in XP. It's the user's choice which color he likes, not yours (User's preferences are different!).

Top  Profile  ICQ