BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 20d, 14h, 22m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 5793MB of 12011MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:22 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Earlier last week, Mozilla
updated the Firefox 3.7 wiki to show potential design changes for Firefox 3.7, and today, updated their wiki to show new mock ups for Firefox 4.0 Windows designs.

The designs are changed to fit better into Windows 7 - as they want to "embrace glass" which is a major goal of Mozilla for the next Firefox release, as well as making them feel more a part of the OS. The designs also work on Windows Vista. A separate design would be in place for lower versions of Windows.

The images below show the ideas that the Mozilla team has, for some potential tab layouts/UI redesigns. Remember that these mock ups are different than the 3.7 ones posted last week. Compare them on the Mozilla Wiki.

Version A - Tabs-on-Bottom

Possibly add a Bookmarks widget as an upfront replacement for the Bookmarks menu/Bookmarks toolbar (option to turn those on would remain).

Version B - Tabs-on-Top

The more contentious Tabs-on-Top concept.

Positives

Save Vertical Space
Efficiency/Remove Visual Complexity - Right now the tabs have to be connected to something. So we are adding an extra visual element for them to connect to.
Shorter Mouse Distance to Page Controls

Negatives

Breaks Consistency/Familiarity - Moving things confuses existing users.
Title is MIA - With the space removed from the titlebar you only get the truncated version in the tab.
Longer Mouse Distance to Tabs - Takes longer to mouse to a tab.
Lost Space - Sandwiched in between the application icon and the window widgets you lose some space.

Combo Stop/Refresh/Go Button.

Attached at the end of the location bar.

Turns green when you start typing.
Blends with the location bar when at rest.
Turns blue on hover.
Turns red when a page is loading.
The proposed iconography is mostly colorless. Adding color to these temporary action driven buttons will make it more obvious something is going on.

source: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/07/28/firefox-40-redesign-mockups-released

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:56 am 
FTP Access

I like Figure B, but not at the loss of a full title at the top.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:05 am 
FTP Access

So there will be FF 4.0? I thought they were gonna make 3.6, 3.7 and afterwards 3.8, 3.9 and maybe 3.95, so that we have 4.0 in 5 years or so :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
F44 Control wrote:
I like Figure B, but not at the loss of a full title at the top.

Ya, I would like to keep the file menu above.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:51 pm 
FTP Access

Figure B reminds me of Google Chrome's design.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
I hate when programs take my menus away. That's part of the reason I haven't switched to Office 2007.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:14 am 
Hi all.

Personally I like the move away from file menus, they look outdated and old.

I really like the second mockup, and hope the UI for Firefox does follow those lines.

Many Thanks,

LeGrande.

PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:49 pm 
FTP Access

How is the layout going to work on Macs and Linux with the transparency added?
Windows-only transparency? I think I'm fine with that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.7&Ubuntu 11.04
Figure B looks like a Google Chrome ripoff :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
onghornLay 4029/Whistler 2419
Chris1244 wrote:
Figure B looks like a Google Chrome ripoff :D

Which also makes it an Opera ripoff. The way the tabs are styled in both layouts looks very similar to how the tabs are styled in Opera 10 (sans transparency of course). And the tabs on top would be doing something that chrome already borrowed from Opera and something that Safari unsuccessfully tried to implement in Safari 4. They should stick to tabs under the address bar solely because that is what people are familiar with and drastically changing the UI could have negative effects.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I hope the option will be there to retain the Fx 2/3 look... those mock-ups look too much like IE for comfort.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:16 pm 
FTP Access

I don't like the way Fire Fox downloads things, even if I am just downloading a small torrent file it gets added to that stupid list.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:24 pm 
here is a theme to make firefox 3.5 like firefox 4.0: http://www.askvg.com/download-mozilla-f ... kup-theme/

PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
I really think the only decent "Tabs on Top" browser design was the Safari 4 Public Beta, too bad Apple scrapped that idea.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 4.00
Hmm...although i'm used to the ol' File Menus, i suppose i'll have to adapt.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
yeah, I love the fie menus too, but I never saw any use for them in web browsers.
All I ever needed was Back, Forward, Stop, Refresh, the address bar, go, and of course tabs.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:38 pm 

Favourite OS
Dancing Banana
PTL wrote:

Can you not just hit alt and it appears as it by magic? Like in explorer.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
onghornLay 4029/Whistler 2419
monkey56657 wrote:
PTL wrote:

Can you not just hit alt and it appears as it by magic? Like in explorer.

I think it will end up behaving the same way Chrome does for menus.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4.0 redesign mockups released        Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:38 pm 

Favourite OS
Dancing Banana
Some people are starting to make this theme available for 3.5?

http://spewboy.deviantart.com/art/Strat ... -132191373

Top  Profile