BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 10h, 13m | CPU: 11% | MEM: 5556MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Alternative and useful freeware soft        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (7600)
How about sharing information about freeware alternative to shareware soft? Or just some useful, but not very famous utilities. I guess, I'll start :)

1. Burning CD/DVD.
There is a nice utility called CDBurnerXP. It's free for personal and commercial use, has multi-language interface and has almost all Nero functions. Direct download link.
2. Viewing pdf, .djvu and .tiff.
For viewing pdf you, of course, can use free Adobe Reader, but I prefer Foxit Reader. For djvu files there is a nice open-source application WinDjView. Also there is STDU Viewer that works with pdf, djvu, tiff.
3. Cuting mp3 files. Audio editing.
You can cut your mp3 file in any sound editor, but there is no need to install SoundForge just for a 3-minute work. I recommend using mp3DirectCut. "You can directly cut, copy, paste or change the volume with no need to decompress your files for audio editing. This saves encoding time and preserves the original quality, because nothing will be re-encoded." Also there is a very nice, high functional and easy to use sound editor called Audacity.
4. File archiver
7-Zip is a realy great alternative to WinRAR and other shareware file archivers. Besides, its compression is on very high level, higher than WinRAR.
5. Music / Movies and video
After trying AIMP I forgot about Winamp. It's an awesome audio player. Also you can try Foobar. When it comes to videos i use Media Player Classic Homecinema edition. Direct download link

Other useful utilities:
1. Google Hacks. "Google Hacks is a compilation of carefully crafted Google searches that expose novel functionality from Google's search and map services. For example, you can use it to view a timeline of your search results, view a map, search for music, search for books, and perform many other specific kinds of searches. You can also use this program to use google as a proxy."
2. BORGChat. Nice LAN chat agent. Great alternative to Network Assistant.
3. RSSOwl. Very comfortable RSS-reader. If you don't use Opera browser or don't like Google Reader, than this utilitie will be a perfect choise for you.
4. Sweet Home 3D. Sweet Home 3D is a free interior design application that helps you place your furniture on a house 2D plan, with a 3D preview. One of the best free app of this type.
5. PicPick Tools. Alternative to FastStone Capture. It features a powerful capture tool, image editor, color picker, color palette, pixel ruler, protractor, crosshair, whiteboard and etc.
6. VirtualDub for editing and coding video. For a freeware app it is superfunctional.
7. Notepad++. Super cool alternative to Windows Notepad.
8. Unlocker. Helps to delete the file which is being used by some process.

To be continued...

P.S. Sorry for my bad english =)

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Alternative and useful freeware soft        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:28 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (7600)
Why have this topic been moved to "Apple Operating Systems"? It's about Windows soft.

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Alternative and useful freeware soft        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:13 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Thats a very good question. The moderator log doesn't say it has been moved to the Apple section. I moved it back.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Alternative and useful freeware soft        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:51 pm 
FTP Access

1. Infrarecorder
2. Adobe Reader (of course)
3. There is no freeware audio editor worth mentioning period. CueSplitter for dealing with mp3/cue.
4. 7zip, any alternatives cost money
5. Foobar2k (+VST wrapper) and CCCP

Honorable mentions;

MP3Tag
Notepad2
DirLister
VirtualDub (I 2nd, if on x64 source x64 codecs and its even better).
StaxRip (Next to VirtualDub its the bets thing since sliced bread)
Filezilla FTP
Paint.NET

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Alternative and useful freeware soft        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
nice list! there some apps in there that will be very usefull : )

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Alternative and useful freeware soft        Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 build 2195
OG wrote:
3. There is no freeware audio editor worth mentioning period. CueSplitter for dealing with mp3/cue.

What wrong with audacity it is an awesome piece of software one you learn how to use it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Alternative and useful freeware soft        Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:38 am 
FTP Access

Audacity is fine for a quick edit but its rubbish for anything else. It has no ASIO support, its VST wrapper is crap and it has issues with high bit rate and high sample rate audio. A half decent audio editor really should have those and be able to do them well. I used to use Audacity, but then I discovered Audition and bought a cheap copy online. Well worth the monies.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Alternative and useful freeware soft        Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:58 am 
FTP Access

1. imgBurn
2. foxit reader, ghostview
3. hmm audacity has been mentioned already
4. tugzip

vlc, im sure that should be mentioned since it can play almost anything

Top  Profile