BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 10h, 22m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 5496MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Graphics Card Questions!        Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:28 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Hello I know this might be kind of a nubish question but could anyone tell me the difference between a graphics card with 256 of DDR2 and one that has GDDR3? What is the difference and does one run faster than the other?

Thanks for you help!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Graphics Card Questions!        Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:53 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
GDDR2 and GDDR3 are different in terms of speed. As you know DDR1 and DDR2 for PC are different in speed too, DDR2 being the faster, and DDR3 being even faster again. So, its probably better to get 256MB of GDDR3 than 512MB of GDDR2, it all depends on what you're going to run on it. If you need speed rather than memory then GDDR3 is better than GDDR2. You can get up to GDDR6 now I believe on the highest end cards :)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Graphics Card Questions!        Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:43 pm 
FTP Access

Most real world gaming benchmarks prove that a lower ammount of faster memory will perform as well as a higher ammount of slower memory as the increase in bandwidth offsets the time it takes to swap out textures. Of course larger ammounts of memory means more textures and less swapping. Its a trade off. The slower memory cards might also cost slighlty more due to the manufacturing costs, faster ram is usualy cheaper to produce (and there is less of it). That said, if you plan to do anything more than 2d and very basic 3d, 256mb of even high speed memory isn't going to cut it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Graphics Card Questions!        Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:46 am 
Yes DDR3 Runs Faster Than DDR2 :wink:

PostPost subject: Re: Graphics Card Questions!        Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:57 am 
Administrator

099pspcomputer wrote:
Yes DDR3 Runs Faster Than DDR2 :wink:

Uhm, yes, we already established that. But graphics GDDR technologies and desktop DDR technologies are not the same thing even if one may think so. Only because GDDRx has a higher number doesn't mean it's automatically faster and better. Only GDDR (first one) is based on DDR standards, the other ones (GDDR2-GDDR6 (draft)) differs a lot from regular DDR standards even if they share a few features. Remember that GDDR is heavily optimized for use onboard graphics cards (G=graphics) which means they are tweaked from the regular DDR standards by allowing a much wider data bus and performance tweaks to allow faster data transfers per clock cycle.

By default GDDR3 runs at twice the speed as GDDR2, so in a perfect world 512MB of GDDR2 would be as fast as 256MB GDDR3. But it's not a perfect world and much more plays into speeds than mere MHz.

GDDR3 uses less voltage (2.0/1.8V) compared to GDDR2 (2.5V) resulting in cooler temperatures (less noise) and higher overclocking capabilities. More heat usually means that it has to run at a lower speed without overheating. This was the problem with GDDR2 which is why it's mostly found on older low-end cards. GDDR3 also allows more varied speeds as opposed to GDDR2, allowing for finer speed tuning by the manufacturers. GDDR3 runs at double speed than GDDR2 by being able to fetch twice as more data per clock cycle at the same core speed. GDDR4 and GDDR5 are further enhancements by allowing even more data to be transferred per clock cycle and also allows for less voltage (1.5V). It has a higher latency than GDDR3 but it copes with this by using a higher clock frequency instead. GDDR5 has two parallel data channels compared to GDDR4 as well as more "modes" in which the videocard can decide how the memory is read or written depending on what kind of data speeds it needs (memory access speed vs memory bandwidth speed).

In work environments graphics memory amount doesn't matter (unless you're into CAD/3D), but in gaming environments more is better than faster. So if you intend to play games you will most likely get better performance by a 512MB card than a 256MB card (depending on game of course). If you are getting a new card and your system is capable of it get a 1GB card. But be also sure to check the bandwidth configuration of the videocard because some cards come with a wider memory bus which means better performance as well. The best way to check if a card is decent enough for games is simply by googling up a review on the net.

So, if you are getting a new card then go for at least 512MB GDDR3 (1GB preferred). If you intend to use the card just to play movies and do light stuff then 256MB will do just fine, it will also be a lot cheaper.

And GDDR6 is not a finished standard yet, AMD may use it for the series 5 videocards. If you're interested in technical details the specs are found at JEDEC (http://jedec.org/).

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Graphics Card Questions!        Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:03 pm 
FTP Access

Bus width is more important if you plan on heavy gaming. If you take the HD 4730, it was manufactured for no other reason than to fill a gap and because stocks of the 4770 were running low. So AMD took a 4870 and halved the ROP's and halved the bus to 128mb from 256mb. But they retained the DDR5. Even with only a 128mb memory bus, the 4730 can just about match the 4850 with its 256mb bus and DDR3. So in mid to low end cards, the faster memory can also offset the lower bus width, at least to a point, but then when you factor in price you usually find that the performance to price ratio is as good or better on low/mid as it is on high end.

Basicaly

Low/Mid level
DDR2/DDR3 with 256bit bus
DDR4/DDR5 with 128bit bus

High level
DDR5/+ with 256bit bus

Last edited by OG on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Graphics Card Questions!        Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:46 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 5.2 [Fusion Proj]; Win 7
Well, like everyone else said it's faster...
The video card I have works great for normal/gaming usage and it uses DDR3

It's a GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB
I get ~20-30Fps+ on Crysis on Medium/high

The Card I used to have was a Geforce 7300le 128MB DDR2
It got less than 7fps on low

Of course it's kinda hard to tell with that data, just trying to help support that DDR3 is faster.
It also depends on bandwidth too, shaders, etc...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Graphics Card Questions!        Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Beta 3 build 1946
Maybe, cooler and less power required.

Memory: 4 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800
HDD: WD3200AAJS + WD2003FYYS + WD6001FSYZ + WD1500HLFS
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620W Modular

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Graphics Card Questions!        Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:22 pm 

Favourite OS
Dancing Banana
Crysis was way before its time. Anything even a pinch below 30 fps is lagging too much for me. I prefer to have 50+ and sacrifice quality .... smoothness :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Graphics Card Questions!        Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 build 2195
monkey56657 wrote:
Crysis was way before its time. Anything even a pinch below 30 fps is lagging too much for me. I prefer to have 50+ and sacrifice quality .... smoothness :)

LoL. Same for me except i never 50+ :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Graphics Card Questions!        Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
By the way,if one CRT's VF rate is lower than 70, it makes me feel sick. Sometimes a LCD will sick me (rare).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Graphics Card Questions!        Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:54 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
liliwinnt6 wrote:
By the way,if one CRT's VF rate is lower than 70, it makes me feel sick. Sometimes a LCD will sick me (rare).

With a CRT its the flickering that makes people sick, it used to affect me too until I changed to TFT/LCD.

With LCD/TFT, its the motion of the game or video that can give you motion sickness. I suffer from this a lot, and its very annoying. It stops me playing some games like ARMA2, Half Life 2, and some other games. Even some youtube videos where people are holding and using the camera very badly, moving it very quickly, jumping around etc, can give me motion sickness too. It's a very annoying thing to suffer from.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Graphics Card Questions!        Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
It reduces you the interest of playing games.

Top  Profile