BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 10h, 6m | CPU: 47% | MEM: 5547MB of 10936MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Can't access my USB flash drive        Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
So yesterday, my flash drive works perfectly normal. Today however, I tried to copy over some music into the flash drives, but it doesn't complete the copying process. Also the window of the flash drive was frozen, but I thought the file transfer was complete, so I unplugged it. Bad idea! Now, whenever I plug it in and try to access a file or folder in the flash drive, the window freezes. The My Computer folder also freezes, and whenever I try to connect to the Logical Disk Service by mmc, Windows tells me that the USB flash drive is malfunctioning and thinks it's an Unknown Device (mmc doesn't crash, but displays nothing.) So I can't format the drive nor can I access any file. I'm sure that the files in the flash drive are safe, because when I use Explorer to open the directory, it shows all my files, but I can't access them. (I think this problem already started occurring before I transferred the files)

Also, I have plugged the flash drive to several laptops very recently,mainly several Dell Latitude laptops with XP, two laptops with Vista and two with 7 build 7264 (the laptops with Vista and 7 are brand new Dell Studio 1555s, so there's nothing wrong with them.) However, whenever I had inserted the flash drive into a Studio laptop Windows gives me a message about how something is wrong with the flash drive and that it wants to scan it for any errors but I always clicked no.

Additionally, the USB flash drive is a 'Generic USB Flash Drive USB Device', because it was from some game expo from last year so there is no brand and holds 1GB so there's nothing there that is vital to me. So my question is, how can I somehow transfer or recover all the files from the flash drive to a computer?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can't access my USB flash drive        Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:21 am 
Donator

There is some data recovery software out there. I like EasyRecovery Professional but I don't know if it works with flash drives. There are quite a few other pieces of software for data recovery that someone else here might be able to tell you about. I believe there have been some other posts about it that you might find if you do a search.

I used to work in a computer shop and one time someone came in with a physically broken flash drive. The flash chip was still intact and apparently they had some very important information on it. My boss must have charged a ton because usually this isn't something we would bother with. He found another flash drive, exactly the same model, and shipped them off to some guy in Tampa who moved the flash chip from the broken drive to the new one. This is the same guy who he would ship RAM off to to be repaired or have the chips moved on to new sticks or combined from different sticks to make larger ones, which I always thought was amazing because I had never heard of this before and couldn't imagine it possibly being cheaper than just buying more RAM.

ANYWAY, sorry to go off topic. The point was that if maybe there is a controller of some sort in the drive that's gone bad and your stuff is that important you can do something similar?

Last edited by QuiescentWonder on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can't access my USB flash drive        Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:02 am 
Donator

Most people have some kind of Linux live cd lying around, try booting into one and accessing the flash drive.

ADD: By most people I mean on forums like this, not the general population.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can't access my USB flash drive        Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:11 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 build 2195
Use Test Disc http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk It is very powerful and it runs on linux, windows and mac

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can't access my USB flash drive        Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:56 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't had time to try any of these methods, so can anyone suggest which live CD to use?

Uzm93, I tried Test Disc, it did not detect my flash drive but nor did Windows, so Test Disc is not at fault. Apparently, whenever I plug it in, it will give me the "Please insert a disk into drive E: or drive letter." Even if I use mmc to change the drive letter the problem still comes up. So I can no longer access the main directory

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can't access my USB flash drive        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 build 2195
use any Ubuntu Live Cd

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can't access my USB flash drive        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:33 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
Use PhotoRec from the mentioned CGsecurity site. It takes a really long time to run (>4 hours) but it works like a charm. Be patient with it, it's a cygwin program.

Top  Profile