BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 15d, 10h, 32m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 5411MB of 11747MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:08 am 
So about a month ago, I decide to sell an Xbox on eBay. This Xbox, before I posted was working, and I checked it out every few weeks to make sure it was. So someone wins this auction for about $50 and it takes him about a month and a half to pay for it, but eventually he does and I post it.

Two days later (yesterday), he sends a message via eBay saying the following:
Quote:
I have received the item and it does not work,

Fair enough. It doesn't work, so it must have broken in the mail.

Next, only 18 minutes later, he sets up a "Significantly not as described" dispute with PayPal as if I knew that it was broken all along.

Then, only 2 minutes after setting up the dispute, he "escalates" the dispute to a claim.

By this time, I hadn't even read the first message sent yet, as I was out during all of this.

He's obviously angry about this and wants his money back, but before he even gives me time to read his original message and negotiate, he just assumes that I'm a thief and he has to get PayPal to deal with it.

So, obviously, I want to know what the fault is, because I need to know if the fault is something he caused or not. I reply with the following:
Quote:
The item was working when it left. How does it not work now?

I had to wait until the next day before I got a response from him, and this is his reply.
Quote:
exactly what i said mate, it does not work, my children are very very dissappointed they have easily 35 games for the xbox and had them all ready when i got back from postoffice, and it did not work

From what he says, he's completely ignoring the fact that I said it was working before it left, and he's jumped to the conclusion that I knew it was broken and he's trying to make me feel guilty by saying "my children are very very dissappointed". He still hasn't told me what the problem is, so I reply again with:
Quote:
I tested it and it was working perfectly before I posted it. The only thing I can think of that has the possibility of breaking in the mail is the hard drive.

Can you please describe the problem you are having, e.g. are there lights flashing, does anything show on the screen at all?

I'll most likely have to wait until tomorrow before I get an answer.

I can understand that he feels disappointed that it's broken, but I've received faulty products from eBay sellers previously and I just simply contacted the seller and we came to an agreement. I didn't instantly start pointing fingers like this guy.

PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:26 am 
Donator

It could be that s/he could be a fraud. I don't see a PC(XBOX) getting ruined that easily in the mail.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:54 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Bunch of assholes. DONT EXPECT EBAY PRODUCTS TO WORK PERFECTLY OR AT ALL IF THAT.

eBay products have to be shipped distances, and you must also add in the possibility of turbulance (if transferred by cargo plane), or any damages to the product while it was in the delivery truck. I recieved an iMac G3 for $35 (dirt cheap), and I hit the transparent indigo Apple Logo (in the back) out and it fell into the machine. So if a product is cheaply sold, then please do not expect perfection (as my iMac had certain, problems.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:38 am 
Windows OCManage wrote:
It could be that s/he could be a fraud. I don't see a PC(XBOX) getting ruined that easily in the mail.

It's possible. It does explain why he hasn't described the fault, unless he genuinely doesn't understand.

Last edited by LongWayHome on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:58 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Kids break xBox and you get blamed?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:37 am 
Donator

I had the same problem about 8-9 months ago selling a Pentium 4 laptop. The original motherboard in it died so I bought a replacement off eBay for $30 but the IDE connector for the HDD was faulty, so I gave up and tossed it in the corner.

When I sold it - for about $125, if I recall, I clearly advertisied in the listing, in text that would stand out, that the item was FAULTY, AS IS and NO RETURNS OR REFUNDS.

Fast forward a week or two when the seller bought it, the plastic around the screen was cracked, screws were missing and no HDD cover.

Ended up refunding most of it since Paypal lets TOO MANY PEOPLE GET AWAY WITH FRAUD! One click of a button and Paypal essentially have a gun to your head.

One problem with Paypal - they're not a bank, and don't have to follow bank regulations.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:09 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
This is why when I have the money I instantly transfer it out of my PayPal account. PayPal has no right to retreive money from your bank account without your authorisation, and since they'll never get it from me, they'll be screwed :)

Also, they MUST adhere to what you wrote in your description on eBay. If you wrote known as faulty or sold as is then that covers you and you should mention that in any dispute with PayPal.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:22 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Seven
This is why I stopped using Ebay/Paypal nothing but a bunch of cowboys. The most likely thing now is Paypal will find in his favour and you will be out!

If your in the UK why don't you use something like Gumtree?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:23 pm 
FTP Access

35 games ? could they be pirated ? was your xbox chipped? maybe that was the reason they are not working lolz

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:20 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
This is why when I have the money I instantly transfer it out of my PayPal account. PayPal has no right to retreive money from your bank account without your authorisation, and since they'll never get it from me, they'll be screwed :)

See, when I sold on eBay last, and had the whole Paypal dilemma, as soon as the dispute was escalated to a claim, PayPal TOOK like $70 (lucky for me, bank account so 3-5 days to process) and essentially held it hostage until I resolved it or refunded! wtfux!

I spoke to PayPal and eBay both online and phone and they just told me to refund it...

useless

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:48 am 
This morning I finally received a response (as predicted):
Quote:
the light comes on then goes off and there is nothing coming up on the screen, nothing is working the machine doesn't work

It's an interesting problem and I don't know how that could have happened in the mail[?]. I've simply replied with an offer to refund the money provided he sends the item back and I've chosen the same response in PayPal. Hopefully it will all turn out fine, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow before I'll know for sure.

PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:56 am 
Donator

I stopped using eBay because it's so full of crappy users and Paypal is so f'ing terrible. This sort of things happens. I always opt for shipping insurance, and if you're selling something worth anything make sure to write down any serial numbers that would be specific to your individual device, that way you know you're getting the same thing back.

I've been ripped off twice on eBay and had money stolen from my Paypal account. I got the money from Paypal that was stolen from me back, except I had to sign a paper that said upon request I would go to California to be in court, which would have cost me more than the money that was stolen from me. The other two times I didn't get but a few dollars back, luckily it wasn't anything expensive that I bought.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:14 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Andy wrote:

Note that, if you truely owe them money, they can obtain it via legal action.
Andy wrote:
Also, they MUST adhere to what you wrote in your description on eBay. If you wrote known as faulty or sold as is then that covers you and you should mention that in any dispute with PayPal.

In a dispute with PayPal, tell them that you shipped it out fine, and you'll refund his money (thats what Id do) :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:44 pm 
Quote:
Please respond to paypal dispute, i am advised to get full refund then send the item back coz you could keep item and not pay me the money, as soon as i see that transfer has been made i will post the item gladly. please respond to paypal dispute as i have escalated it...

He seems reluctant to the fact that I already responded to the dispute, and that PayPal states that he must send back the item first.
I replied with:
Quote:
I already replied to the dispute and PayPal told me that you are supposed to send the item back before I give a refund.

I also included a quote from the PayPal website (same as screenshot).

PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
The guy sounds like a real a**hole! I've delt with tons of people like that before... For example a year or two ago, maybe three I sold an older video camera. It was fairly large with a nice heavy duty hard case. The guy won it for $0.99 + $25 shipping. The thing work fine nothing wrong with it. He gets it and complains that when you look through the recording lens there was a small amount of static. I ended up reporting him to ebay to have them deal with him. Another guy who bought two laptop keyboard keys from me filled a claim with paypal saying he never recived the items (he payed for them the day before, I didn't even get a chance to ship them!?!)

Offtopic Comment
Ive tried to stop selling as much as possible on eBay. I used to love selling on eBay but lately having to put up with all of these idiots and reporting them to ebay just to have them say they can't do anything is rediculous! eBay and PayPal have gotten really greedy lately too, it seems as if their fees sky rocketed. I recently sold a laptop on ebay for $460 + $30 shipping and i was charged over $32 just in eBay and PayPal fees plus then i had over $22 in shipping fees. So in total from the $480 the guy paid for it I only made a little under $425. If you go to this site: http://codbag.blogspot.com/ you will hear many stories of idiots on eBay, its amazing how stupid people can be (sometimes its so stupid it funny!).

Well i hope everything works out for you.... good luck! (you'll need it!) LOL!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:12 pm 
Quote:
well im sorry but you already sold me an item that was faulty. i want to refund to pay for the postage back to you, if we make a deal i will await confirmation i will post item at same time you hit the refund button i will have it ready to send you can call the post office at batlow to confirm, and i am not paying for registered post with a tracking number as you didn't send it registered for me, i am furious that the game doesn't work, i have since got the light to stay on for approx 5 minutes with the screen starting then it will not play the games, which i must add are brand new games i bought last week and were only opened the day i got the machine, i am the one who is at a loss here, and believe that you should just negotiate with me on this, coz i while ever i have the xbox i have proof the machine is not working and can take action towards getting my money, i believe i have been very reasonable with you, thank you for your time

It almost seems like he's forgotten about the claim he set up with PayPal as he wants to negotiate outside of PayPal. He doesn't seem to trust me, even though he's got PayPal on his side to make sure I refund the money. Anyway, this is my response:
Quote:
Postage for me costed $11.05. How about I send you that amount of money so that you can use it to post it back. Once I receive the item and know that it's genuinely broken, I'll refund all the money.

I know it's not ideal, but it means I don't have to refund all the money before receiving it and examining it to see if it's the same Xbox or if it's something he caused, etc.

PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:53 pm 
what happend?

PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4044/7700/7950/8888
ebay + paypal = how to loose money and material.

i know this, im a seller of vinyl music on ebay, and many buyer claim never recept the item and contact paypal for a refunding, finally, the buyer win the item + the money.

after loosing for $400 of rare vinyl, now i stop using paypal.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:43 pm 
See this is the sole reason why I use craigslist in the US.

PostPost subject: Re: Idiots on eBay        Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
Rancid-Milk-Man wrote:
See this is the sole reason why I use craigslist in the US.

Craigslist is worse than eBay. A mass majority never follow through with a commitment, and there is no accountability in place whatsoever. The only advantage to Craigslist is the buyer can see an item working before purchasing it.

I'm not saying eBay is great, because it sucks often and it's support fails miserably. But at least there is a third party involved with eBay. Sometimes, that can be a good thing.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]