BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 2h, 44m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 5612MB of 11031MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Installing Win2k AFTER Win7 RC        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:02 pm 
Donator

Hey folks,
I admittedly already posted this about 6 hrs ago in the Microsoft Windows 7-Forms. But due to the many postings there, my posting already is down to the third page, so I don't expect any answers anymore. So I'd be happy, if someone here could help me.
I've got the following problem:

I have two partitions - one with Win2k, that I used previously (yeah, I'm old-fashioned), and the other one with Windows 7 RC1. Yesterday I somehow f''ked up my Win2k-system - my AntiVir-Scanner went berserk and reported about a dozen Trojans - although I'm not aware, I downloaded/installed anything.
I have the suspicion that it might have been false alarm. Whatever: After I quarantined and deleted several files, my Win2k-system wouldn't start anymore. So I decided to reinstall it on this partition (yeah, I love Windows 7 RC1, but I'm still having difficulties with a minor number of applications, which is why I want to keep a dual-boot system). I then had my heart pumping for a while, as Win2k neither could access the Win7-Partition, nor could I boot into Win7, because Win2k messed with the bootfiles.

Luckily, the repair-function (had to run it three times though!) on the Win 7-DVD restored the boot files. However: Now I can't boot into Win2k anymore - I don't have it shown in the list of operating systems in the Start Settings. Is there any way to get my dual boot-system back? Would be a shame if there wasn't :(

Best regards and thanks in advance for any help
Jens

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Win2k AFTER Win7 RC        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:23 am 
Donator

Run "Bcdedit -enum all" in an elevated CMD and post the results.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Win2k AFTER Win7 RC        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:00 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Look at a program called easy-bcd

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Win2k AFTER Win7 RC        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:47 am 
Donator

have you tried fixing the boot files for 2k than 7 that might bring back the boot menu

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Win2k AFTER Win7 RC        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:38 pm 
Donator

skywalker06 wrote:
have you tried fixing the boot files for 2k than 7 that might bring back the boot menu

He needs to edit Boot.ini on the Windows 7 partition and ad an entry for Windows 2000.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Win2k AFTER Win7 RC        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:09 pm 
Donator

Thank you very much for all your helpful posts - EasyBCD did the job just fine. Can recommend it to anyone with the same problem :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Win2k AFTER Win7 RC        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:46 pm 
Donator

Two lefts and a diagonal sidestep from where you are.

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
To people with future problems, you can boot off of your Windows Vista or 7 disk (the two are interchangeable) and when the Windows Vista or 7 screen comes up that says Install Windows, click next, press Shift+F10 to throw up a CMD Prompt, and type in:
Code:
bootrec /FixMbr

followed by:
Code:
bootrec /FixBoot

this is useful if you have no internet at your house like me, and can't download EasyBCD.

Top  Profile