BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 16h, 13m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 5730MB of 10862MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Conned on trademe        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:14 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
I purchased for $49 NZD a replacement battery charger for my dell. The picture had a genuine dell charger. How ever I was sent a fake 'Dell' charger

Spot the fake

It produces a soft humming noise, gets hot, and smells strongly of ozone/burning PCB. It did charge the battery, however I shut it off when I smelt the strange smell. These Chinese knock-offs are becoming an epidemic

I'm requesting a refund... but I think it's gonna be ignored

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:30 am 
Donator

Yeah, you can see the difference in the quality of the plastic, the knock off is just a cheap mold job.
Let Dell know too, they might be interested, can't imagine they like people making crappy knockoff's of their products.*

*If you do contact Dell, expect to get a long speech about how you should only buy Dell genuine parts from Dell themselves.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:38 am 
Donator

make sure you tell trademe as well, because if they had a legit one in the photo then you could get their account banned

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
My mum is asking the seller for a refund and if she says no, a complaint to trademe will be lodged

EDIT: The seller has a agreed to send the money back. I'm gonna pay extra and get the charger from dell.co.nz

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:23 am 
Donator

mewrox99 wrote:
My mum is asking the seller for a refund and if she says no, a complaint to trademe will be lodged

EDIT: The seller has a agreed to send the money back. I'm gonna pay extra and get the charger from dell.co.nz

I'm surprised you managed to get one, I guess they didn't want the negative feedback. I'm glad I got an extra one when I got my laptop.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:26 pm 
FTP Access

Wait till you get your refund then shop them anyway. Knock offs are downright dangerous, and had the charger caught fire and burned your house down, well, you get the point.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Why not get nastier...

1. I would file a complaint with the fair trade commision in your area...
2. I would file a police report for fraud
3. I would contact the country that the seller is in and file a complaint with their fair trade commision
4. I would contact the police agency in the seller's country and file a police report
5. Contact trademe, and request the trader be banned
6. Contact PayPal, or the type of payment used (if not cash, etc) and file a complaint
7. If they are a professional seller, file a complaint with the BBB.
8. File a lawsuit.

Take all the steps correctly, and youll have fed him a piece of revenge pie ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
motherboardlove wrote:
Why not get nastier...

3. I would contact the country that the seller is in and file a complaint with their fair trade commision
4. I would contact the police agency in the seller's country and file a police report
6. Contact PayPal, or the type of payment used (if not cash, etc) and file a complaint
8. File a lawsuit.

Bloody hell... you simply can't run a corporation with that attitude...

Not that I think what has happened here is right, but by no means needs a needlessly confrontational (and rather expensive) reaction. Not that anything would happen anyway (you, of all people, should know this if your business originates from HK / China).

It's good that you got your money back, and should be a lot simpler to buy a replacement from Hell Dell

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
hougtimo wrote:
motherboardlove wrote:
Why not get nastier...

8. File a lawsuit.

Bloody hell... you simply can't run a corporation with that attitude...

Not that I think what has happened here is right, but by no means needs a needlessly confrontational (and rather expensive) reaction. Not that anything would happen anyway (you, of all people, should know this if your business originates from HK / China).

It's good that you got your money back, and should be a lot simpler to buy a replacement from Hell Dell

I just think that scammer should get what they deserve. Anyways, this doesnt cost money, just time. ;)

hougtimo wrote:
buy a replacement from Hell Dell

Offtopic Comment
lol

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Are you saying filing a lawsuit wouldn't cost a penny? 8-)

I won't go into how numerous of your other suggestions wouldn't work / have no effect.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:16 am 
Donator

motherboardlove, I don't see why he should waste all that time, money and effort, especially considering the seller is giving him a refund.

And who the hell files a lawsuit over fifty bucks...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
hougtimo wrote:

I won't go into how numerous of your other suggestions wouldn't work / have no effect.

This case of fraud, in my opinion, would be easy to win, and in the United States (although, Im not sure of other countries), if you win the case, they must re-imburse all legal fees.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
motherboardlove wrote:
hougtimo wrote:

This case of fraud, in my opinion, would be easy to win, and in the United States (although, Im not sure of other countries), if you win the case, they must re-imburse all legal fees.

But why would you file a lawsuit because of such a petty matter. Sure if the device in question caught fire perhaps then you'd have reason to sue.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:01 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
merty wrote:
motherboardlove wrote:
hougtimo wrote:

But why would you file a lawsuit because of such a petty matter. Sure if the device in question caught fire perhaps then you'd have reason to sue.

If a seller is purposely selling fakes while claiming they are genuine, thats fraud, and I HATE it when people sell fakes, so I do everything in my (legal) power to "fix" it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:34 am 
Donator

There are more important things in life that getting back at some guy tryna back a buck, he's giving the money back, I really don't see a problem.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
Taking a look at the feedback (Something I should have done before buying :|) The person has done it before, But people seem to be giving neutral rather than negative feedback. I will report it to trademe, because If I didn't notice the charger may have damaged the laptop or started a fire

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
I got that exact charger with my laptop. I threw it in the trash and got a real one from work. Genuine products are always better.

EDIT: Oh, and mine had a green "RoHS" sticker over the dell logo. Cheap b@@@@@@

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:09 am 
Donator

motherboardlove wrote:
If a seller is purposely selling fakes while claiming they are genuine, thats fraud, and I HATE it when people sell fakes, so I do everything in my (legal) power to "fix" it.

Yeah, and I hate it when you try and wave your e-penor around in every post.

I've found that any generic of any laptop charger, bar ones like Targus, will pretty much die within the first few minutes. Experience with 2 generics, blah.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
motherboardlove wrote:
hougtimo wrote:

Well your opinion, quite frankly, is wrong.

What you're completely failing to appreciate is that this way of selling knockoffs is their culture. It's how they make money. This does not mean that I condone what they're selling; but as the seller is obviously decent as he has refunded any monies promptly. I have done a lot of business with Hong Kong companies in the last 3 years and I can guarantee that mewrox99 has got off lightly on this one. I've been burned, heavily by their trade system.

Have you ever been to China? I've been to Shanghai / HongKong several times. The streets are laced with people selling "copy (enter random designer / electrical product here)". To be honest I have a great deal of sympathy with these people as they never ever lose that drive to sell even when being beaten down by punters all day every day.

Any judge is going to take their ability to pay / earn money into account and may deem that his/her practices are acceptable in a Chinese/HK market. Even if you did win this case the defendant may well not be able to pay any damages / charges incurred. Not to mention that chasing such a debt would have a ton of logistical problems probably costing yourself more than you may have been awarded in damages / costs.

Please do not take such an arrogant manner towards people who, at the end of the day, are only trying to make a living.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:31 pm 
Donator

hougtimo says it all, bravo sir.

Plus, 50 NZD is like 30-somthing USD, what kind of loser files a lawsuit over $30 which was refunded anyway.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Oh, and the size differences between the legit charger and the cheap one are not because of the cheap charger.

The cheap charger is based on the A01 revision, the original latitude D series charger. The seccond one in your picture is most likely an A03 or later revision, which are smaller and lighter. They started shipping sometiime in mid 2005 afaik, if the boxes of extra chargers in my office are any indication.

EDIT: wow long rant. gogo caffeine

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Conned on trademe        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
The person has said they would refund, but no money has gone through. A complaint to trademe is now been lodged.

This is kinda off topic but do auction sites IPBlock or MACBlock you or both if you break there Terms of use

While I do have sympathy that the person is just trying to put food on the table, These chargers are dangerous. There was a strong odor and strange 'arc' noises coming from it. That thing could have easily started a fire or damaged the laptop. So It is important that action should be taken to prevent these spreading around. Especially to people who wouldn't notice the deference and left that charger running

The person running the whole 'smuggle the goods from china' operation could potentially face civil action from Dell for trademark theft, not to mention criminal charges

This whole fake stuff epidemic I saw on TV (Border patrol and Fair Go) when these crappy knock-off hair straighteners which caught fire were been sold. IMO something must be done,

Top  Profile