BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 2h, 53m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5790MB of 10906MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: PPC-512, revisited        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I made a post in February last year asking if anyone had an Amstrad PPC-512 or 640 going for sale, and have now found (and bought) one. Just like I remember them.

I heard that you can put a 10/20MiB hard drive into them, using some sort of fix or hack or whatever you want to call it. I'd like to know how or where I can find out how to do this. 720K disks are all very well, but I only have a single one, and I'm not forking out tens of pounds to buy a handful. So, if anyone knows where I can learn how to do this, and buy the necessary stuff, will you please let me know? I will, of course, reward you with photographs of the machine running Windows 1, 2, and 3 (in real mode, of course).

I want to use the machine for real stuff, you see - as surprizing as that might sound. Especially programming; would help me to learn to be a more efficient programmer, I'm sure.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PPC-512, revisited        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:56 pm 
Donator

I had the one which came with 3mb ram a 5 1/4 floppy and was a xt. Used to love it then I got bored and destroyed it not figuring out it had / would have value in the future I was about 10.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PPC-512, revisited        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:33 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
If you need 720K 3.5" floppies... just tape over the hole that isn't the lock hole on a 1.44mb one... problem solved... but don't store too much data on them... or important data atleast...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: PPC-512, revisited        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:34 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
He needs 5 1/4, not 3 1/2 :P

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PPC-512, revisited        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:38 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Andy wrote:

Well that changes it then... I have a whole freaking box of those suckers to just get rid of... most of them are blank... and still boxed... (but I use them for Apple ][e BAISC programming)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: PPC-512, revisited        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Andy wrote:

Nope, 720K, DD 3.5" microfloppies. I've done the trick with taping the hole up, but I'd rather use authentic DD disks, if I can get them.

I still want a hard drive, though. I want to be able to boot into Windows 1 when I turn it on. :P

Slightly related: does anyone know where I can get a working CGA monitor for use in the UK?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PPC-512, revisited        Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:03 pm 
FTP Access

I have a PPC-512.
Sorry for my English.
1. Floppies
Not all floppies are good to re-format to 720K.

2. Hard Disks, graphics, ISA cards, etc.
I haven't tried it: http://www.xaragmata.thebbs.org/ppc.html
Ah, and the hack, as I remember it was adding some kind of an internal controller to ISA bus :(.
I also tried adding ZIP drives, EPAT, EPEZ, EPIA modules and etc. to parallel port and booting from floppy with drivers. No result, even with palmzip drivers - parallel port is in fact printer port only (no input). I heard that it works with PPC640, not 512.

3. 640K memory.
Disassembling this device isn't very difficult, turn it upside down, remove battery cover, remove screws, be careful not to break tab, in which you'll have to put a flat screwdriver. OK, Mainboard is composed of two PCBs, try not to damage a voltage regulator while disassembling them. Locate the board with memory chips. Use solder sucker to make holes clear, solder DIP sockets in, install memory chips from additional 128K section of an old XT board. Timing doesn't have to be exactly the same, change jumpers noticed in board or in documentation (documentation was somewhere in seasip.info). I made it successfully with my friend's PPC512 many years ago.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PPC-512, revisited        Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
They all blow
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=83
BLAMMO, those should be just fine for you, DSDD floppies. Should work with 720kb too. I bought 100 of those 2 weeks ago.

Damn, my old school had loads of old stuff like 5.25 floppy connector style hdds etc.. Can't help you there anymore :(

Top  Profile  WWW