BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 17h, 9m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 5600MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Asus EEE T91 starts shipping today        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
XP
Here are the specs for this $499 8.9" tablet netbook.

Features: 8.9" Touch Screen / Processor: Intel Atom Z520 1.3 GHz / Intel GMA500 (Poulsbo) / 16 GB SSD
Color: Black
Dimensions: 216 x 165 x 28
Display Resolution: 1024 x 600
No. of USB Ports: 2
Operating System: Windows XP Home
Protocol: Bluetooth, Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft)
RAM Type: DDR2
Video Outpu:t VGA
Weight (kg): 0.96
Built-in devices: Memory card reader: MMC/SD/SDHC
Laptop Display Size: 8.9
Laptop Form Factor: Ultraportable

It also has a resistive touchscreen. I was thinking of getting one, but I'm not sure. Is this a good value for the price?
Amazon is selling theirs here http://www.amazon.com/Asus-8-9-Inch-Tab ... =UTF8&s=pc

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Asus EEE T91 starts shipping today        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:53 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
luridphantom wrote:
Is this a good value for the price?

No,
Lets compare to the " Acer Aspire One AOD250-1326" (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834115588)

For the extra 200 USD (66% more money spent),
you are getting a computer:

->1 inch smaller
-->You hands will get tied up

->Touch screen
-->You hands will get tied up! Touchscreen as input devices are used to simplify user interfaces, I don't understand why a power-user would want to simplify their experience at the expense of control.

->Touch screen
-->You hands will get tied up! Touchscreen as input devices are used to simplify user interfaces, I don't understand why a power-user would want to simplify their experience at the expense of control.

->Better CPU
-->Perhaps the only reason to get this netbook, but the Z520 will still perturb you from using more demanding applications and even if it gives you a small cpu boost (20%) both netbooks still use the mostly unsupported 1024 x 600 resolution.

From my experiences using a net book, the best one would have a standard display resolution.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Asus EEE T91 starts shipping today        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:25 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
One word: NO

Dell Inspiron 15 for $498

Core 2 Duo T6500 2.10GHz
4GB DDR2 800MHz
160GB Hard Disk

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Asus EEE T91 starts shipping today        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
XP
How about in comparison to other tablets? Is this still a good enough price?
I was thinking of a tablet because it's good for me to use for lectures, etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Asus EEE T91 starts shipping today        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:46 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
luridphantom wrote:
How about in comparison to other tablets? Is this still a good enough price?

Well, it depends on your needs. If you really need a tablet in a small budget then this tablet is right for you. I personally do not recommend any atom computers as they are severely under power with processing power equivalent of a celeron m or pentium iii and the mobile version does not support 64-bit. You would not be be able to use it for must more than giving lecture, word processing, web browsing, and email. If you are willing to spend 300 dollars more, I would recommend HP Pavilion tx2 which has a Turion X2.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Asus EEE T91 starts shipping today        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:47 am 
FTP Access

Day2Die wrote:

Core 2 Duo T6500 2.10GHz
4GB DDR2 800MHz
160GB Hard Disk

But is it 8.9 inches???

Quote:
You hands will get tied up! Touchscreen as input devices are used to simplify user interfaces, I don't understand why a power-user would want to simplify their experience at the expense of control.

Touchscreens have their place. Ever try drawing with your mouse? It sucks. And how exactly does touchscreens simplify the user interface? And even if the interface is simplified, it doesn't mean you have to sacrifice functionality.

Quote:

My professor used 12" Lenovo tablet PC for notes in class. He loved it. He could easily erase, use different colors, ect. They're great if you have to do a lot of diagrams and you want to do it all on computer. It's definitely too cumbersome to try and do a quick graph in Word with a trackpad.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Asus EEE T91 starts shipping today        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:53 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Ambig wrote:
Day2Die wrote:

Core 2 Duo T6500 2.10GHz
4GB DDR2 800MHz
160GB Hard Disk

But is it 8.9 inches???

1)Day2Die, where would you get a deal like that?
2)It's 15 inches wide... An 8.9 inches laptop containing 4GB memory doesn't make much sense.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Asus EEE T91 starts shipping today        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:25 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Thlump wrote:
Ambig wrote:
Day2Die wrote:

Core 2 Duo T6500 2.10GHz
4GB DDR2 800MHz
160GB Hard Disk

But is it 8.9 inches???

1)Day2Die, where would you get a deal like that?
2)It's 15 inches wide... An 8.9 inches laptop containing 4GB memory doesn't make much sense.

Thlump, go here: http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-inspiron-1545/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-inspiron-1545&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~laptops_great_deals_5~~ or http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-inspiron-1545/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-inspiron-1545&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~laptops_great_deals_anav_1~~
Click customize > go to processor > select "Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6500 (2.10GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache) [add $35]"
then go to memory > select "4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz [add $25]"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Asus EEE T91 starts shipping today        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:40 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Ambig wrote:
Touchscreens have their place.

Yes, for computer illierate POS

Ambig wrote:
Ever try drawing with your mouse? It sucks.

I agree. I use a draw tablet, which sells for cheaper then the difference between touch and non-touch models.

Ambig wrote:
And how exactly does touchscreens simplify the user interface?

Lets talk theory:

Touchscreens simplify user interfaces by presenting ONLY the choices that are valid functions. On the other hand there are many keyboard functions that have little relevant to the context of what the user is doing. For example, when browsing a webpage possibly only 3 buttons are necessary, although a user has an entire keyboard. Furthermore, consider how touchscreens work on PocketPC like devices, you will notice that the virtual keyboard appears only when certain fields are active - in the case of a PocketPC it will be when an editable text field is active.

A pure touchscreen application programer must present all the functions on the screen. This intern demands him to have made up his mind regarding the program's workflow - this is especially true given that screen space is scarce. Therefore, touchscreen programing lends itself to applications where a "wizard" like flow structure is present. Yet, functionality in modern systems is defined by how modularity of access.

-=-=
Lastly, there is a point to make about actually using the touchscreen for navigation tasks. I know from personal experience that I avoid using the mouse as much as possible because having to move my hands while typing is far too taxing. At a party I was once using a friends TouchSmart (from HP), after the novelty of touching wore off, I found myself using his system exclusively though keyboard and mouse.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Asus EEE T91 starts shipping today        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:09 am 
Donator

Frozenport wrote:
Ambig wrote:
Touchscreens have their place.

Yes, for computer illierate POS

Thats quite harsh, touch screens have a lot of potential in... you know, niche type markets, embedded devices, educational and medical tools, that sorta thing.

luridphantom, for that price, what you need to consider is, which would be of more use to you, practically in your day to day life, somthing small with a touchscreen and not much in the way of performance, or somthing bigger with traditional input and higher specs like the Dell laptop posted earlier in this thread. Its really a personal preference thing.

Though if all you want is a tablet PC, maybe you consider looking for a "Pre-Loved" one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Asus EEE T91 starts shipping today        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
XP
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've decided that I do need a tablet for classes. At this point, I'm considering the HP tx models and the T91.

Top  Profile