Would this make a good light gaming machine

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Kenneth
Donator

Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine

Post by Kenneth »

Andy wrote:I have two ASUS motherboards here and neither have ever given me any problems. Don't take advice from just one person, as that advice can be flawed. Get a flavour from several people before deciding on such a big build. One persons misfortune doesn't automatically make a brand bad.

The PC is a good build, and the price is average, though if you shopped around you could probably get it down a bit. Its a fairly high specced gaming machine in my opinion. I have a 3870 and that plays everything I've thrown at it so far. I am by no means a heavy gamer but some things I've thrown at it have been fairly harsh: gMod and Flight Sim X to name a few.

Processor is good, but try and get it up to 1333MHz FSB if you can, that will future proof it a bit more and give it a bit more edge.

Never heard of the RAM brand, you should go with a known good brand like Crucial or OCZ, and throw in another 2GB, you'll notice a HUGE difference. RAM upgrading is the cheapest and most effective upgrade, so don't shrimp on it.

I've never heard of the power supply brand before either. Be sure its not a cheap value power supply or you could find yourself in trouble powering that graphics card. It might be 500+ watts, but that doesn't mean the 12v rails are any good.

Apart from those little details, its a great build, but price wise I feel like I'd be ripped off. For that price I could up the HD to a 1TB, double the RAM and certainly up the CPU a bit for the same price. Shop around, you'll be surprised. Also if that's one of those PC builder sites, that's probably the reason the price is up a bit. They add their own percentage on to the price to make it worth their while. If you're confident enough to build your own system, do that rather than use a PC builder site and you'll get a bit more value for money.
I've heard of AcBel, they make terrible PSUs.

mewrox99
FTP Access

Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine

Post by mewrox99 »

win98 wrote:
mewrox99 wrote:Anyway, since my brother told me he only wants to play Sims 3 and GTA san andreas. I'm just giving him my PC (Core 2 Duo E6400, 4GB Ram, Twin 250GB HDDs 9500GT) and planning on buying a second hand core 2 duo iMac to replace my aging eMac
Lol a young kid playing san andreas noone cares but green party reps and the censorship association of NZ so as long as they don't read it you will be sweet.
Lol he's been playing shooting games since he was 8. (He's now 10)

He has 3-4 times the maturity of certain squid
Core 2 Quad Q8400, 8Gb DDR3, ATI HD4850, 1Tb Seagate, Windows 7 Ultimate X64