BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 3h, 55m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 5711MB of 11033MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
My younger brother is replacing his machine, and the machine needs to be good for light gaming. Is this machine good and value for money. Prices in NZD

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
It's good (you might even be able to run some PCSX2 Games at normal speeds), except for one thing. Get a non-ASUS motherboard. I've had many difficulties with their various products, motherboards being one of them.
Offtopic Comment
I've had problems with 2 ASUS motherboards, an ASUS video card, 2 ASUS routers, an ASUS laptop, and a whole bunch of other ASUS products.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
http://atech.co.nz/p.aspx?103548 Would this intel one be a better choice

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm 
Donator

With that C2D and that GFX card, I can't see any poblems gaming wise, fairly good value machine for the price.

Suppose it depends on what you mean by "light gaming" though...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:49 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I have two ASUS motherboards here and neither have ever given me any problems. Don't take advice from just one person, as that advice can be flawed. Get a flavour from several people before deciding on such a big build. One persons misfortune doesn't automatically make a brand bad.

The PC is a good build, and the price is average, though if you shopped around you could probably get it down a bit. Its a fairly high specced gaming machine in my opinion. I have a 3870 and that plays everything I've thrown at it so far. I am by no means a heavy gamer but some things I've thrown at it have been fairly harsh: gMod and Flight Sim X to name a few.

Processor is good, but try and get it up to 1333MHz FSB if you can, that will future proof it a bit more and give it a bit more edge.

Never heard of the RAM brand, you should go with a known good brand like Crucial or OCZ, and throw in another 2GB, you'll notice a HUGE difference. RAM upgrading is the cheapest and most effective upgrade, so don't shrimp on it.

I've never heard of the power supply brand before either. Be sure its not a cheap value power supply or you could find yourself in trouble powering that graphics card. It might be 500+ watts, but that doesn't mean the 12v rails are any good.

Apart from those little details, its a great build, but price wise I feel like I'd be ripped off. For that price I could up the HD to a 1TB, double the RAM and certainly up the CPU a bit for the same price. Shop around, you'll be surprised. Also if that's one of those PC builder sites, that's probably the reason the price is up a bit. They add their own percentage on to the price to make it worth their while. If you're confident enough to build your own system, do that rather than use a PC builder site and you'll get a bit more value for money.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:55 pm 
FTP Access

From what it looks like you could probably save some money building it yourself, all while upgrading to 4gb of ram and more.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
i agree with andy. its very personal. one day i purchased the cheapest motherboard i could find having had 2 expensive gigabytes break on me, it was asus. 5 years on and although i've given the pc to someone else now it works flawlessly. never had any problems.

to your question. simple answer. decent pc but way overpriced. do shop around first.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
The CPU is overkill for gaming - get an E6300 and save some cash. My brother runs Crysis on very-high with his E2140, which is far less powerful than that. You won't be disappointed, trust me.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:15 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Seven
Derf wrote:
The CPU is overkill for gaming - get an E6300 and save some cash. My brother runs Crysis on very-high with his E2140, which is far less powerful than that. You won't be disappointed, trust me.

I disagree you really want the best processor you can if your wanting it to last any amount of time.

Like Andy mentioned make sure the PSU is a good make such as Seasonic, coolermaster ..etc you don't want to skimp at all.

Also in regards to the case make sure this is up to par with enough cooling, hard drive spaces and room if you ever want to upgrade, especially with the graphics cards as these keep getting longer.

I noticed you have chosen a ps/2 mouse and keyboard any reason it isn't USB?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:25 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
whistler
If you dont have 24" monitor, go for Radeon 4770- in performance is only a few fps behind 4850, cheaper, newer (40nm arch), has lower power consumption and is silent :) . But its problem to buy it.

ad MB: i'd go for something with chipset G/P43 (as it supports pcie 2.0 and goes with ich10).
I have a few intel MBs and its better for office use than gaming. I have no problem with asus or gigabyte MBs.

Asus P5QL or Gigabyte GA-EG43M might be a good choise.
With 4GB ram :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:44 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Jay662 wrote:
Derf wrote:

I disagree you really want the best processor you can if your wanting it to last any amount of time.

Like Andy mentioned make sure the PSU is a good make such as Seasonic, coolermaster ..etc you don't want to skimp at all.

Also in regards to the case make sure this is up to par with enough cooling, hard drive spaces and room if you ever want to upgrade, especially with the graphics cards as these keep getting longer.

Why? With Windows 7 on the horizon, performance will increase even more, making the E6300 not even a great choice performance wise, but also in terms of power consumption and bang for buck.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:47 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
If you want this to last a while, go with what you selected. The higher end the processor is the better since it will future proof it. Remember not to go quad core unless you'll use it. With gaming you're better off with a higher clock speed dual core since most games don't use more than 1 core still.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
whistler
Derf: E6300 is 65nm core2 (aka Conroe). Intel no longer sells 65nm core2duos (product lines E4000 E6000). It has been substitued with 45nm ones (aka penryn), product lines E7000 and E8000. The only difference between them is size of L2 Cahce and IVT support. You sure can find some benchmarks of same cpus with different cache sizes and see that the difference isnt worth the money in this case.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:05 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Seven
Derf wrote:
Jay662 wrote:
Derf wrote:

Why? With Windows 7 on the horizon, performance will increase even more, making the E6300 not even a great choice performance wise, but also in terms of power consumption and bang for buck.

Well its faster and if your going to keep the system for any length of time this will prove worthwhile.

Now power consumption? isn't the E6400 based on 65nm? and the E7400 based 45nm so in theory it will run faster, cooler and prove for power efficient?

stick with that spec it's looking good.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:47 pm 
Donator

A really good nz store to buy pcs and hardware from is http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/ they are very prompt and are known for their service on gpfourms nz a gaming fourm im a member of. They have ATI Radeon 4850s for $225! Hyrinx is generic ram as far as I know. (Computerlounge don't stock that model hdd as its an older type.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:07 pm 
FTP Access

Hynix isn't "generic", they're one of the best memory chip manufacturers going, are generaly rock solid performers and are great for overclocking if you should be that way inclined. The 4850 is a reasonable choice, though tbh the 4870 is not that much more and represents fabulous value for money even compared to the 4850. Still the 4850 is more than adequate for light gaming and will be for some time. As for Asus, there's good and bad in all brands, and you don't get to be a main player by selling garbage.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:34 pm 
Donator

OG wrote:
Hynix isn't "generic", they're one of the best memory chip manufacturers going, are generaly rock solid performers and are great for overclocking if you should be that way inclined. The 4850 is a reasonable choice, though tbh the 4870 is not that much more and represents fabulous value for money even compared to the 4850. Still the 4850 is more than adequate for light gaming and will be for some time. As for Asus, there's good and bad in all brands, and you don't get to be a main player by selling garbage.

My bad about hynix. I got a 4850 myself last week its awesome woulda got 4870 but its like 90 nz bucks more than the cheap sapphire one I got which is what I pointed out at computer lounge. So its not worth it considering you can overclock 4850s to make em even better. I run crysis on high on mine and would be able to play it if it wern't for having 2gb of ram but I ordered 4gb and am getting it tommrow most likley.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:46 pm 
Donator

I don't know anything about prices of computers in NZ but converted to US dollars that's probably $200-300 more than I would spend on those parts. You might want to shop around.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:53 pm 
FTP Access

Thats the annoying thing about gfx cards. My G92 8800GT decided to stop working a week ago so I'm in the market for one myself, safe to say it wont be another nVidia, they've tried my patience the past couple of years. Im looking at getting either a 4850 or 4870 myself and find theres cheap, mid priced and downright off the chart expensive in both models depending on which brand you get. Like I could buy a 4870 from a "lesser" brand for the same price as a mid level branded 4850. What to do? Are you just paying for the name or is there more to it besides a sticker and bundled crap? Also, the 4870 has the faster GDDR5 memory pitting the 512mb models up against the 4850 1gb with the GDDR3 in terms of bandwidth. I'm looking at the XFX 1gb 4850 (£86.99) and the PowerColor 4870 512mb (£94.99). Just cant decide.

QuiescentWonder wrote:
I don't know anything about prices of computers in NZ but converted to US dollars that's probably $200-300 more than I would spend on those parts. You might want to shop around.

Thats because the rest of the world subsidizes low prices for US consumers by being charged over the odds for the same goods. Electronic goods are almost always cheaper in the US than everywhere else.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:58 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I would get an nVidia card for the PhysX, which at least in science fields is having a surge in popularity. I have never had any problems with nVidia or Asus.

The only manufacturer I had any serious problems with was MSI, who twice sold me defective boards (although they did apologize with free trades).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:13 am 
FTP Access

PhysX is practically useless in real terms. Very few games support it and those that do are rarely the better for it. It's always been a gimmick, probably always will be. CUDA has some benefits on the desktop, but unless you do a lot of h264 video encoding or spend lots of downtime scouring the universe for aliens it too is useless (and you can do that now on ATI GPUs anyway). Price to performance wise its ATI all the way. Besides, lately nVidia do nothing but rename their old crap and sell it at inflated prices when you could most likely buy the same thing at half the price just with an older series number, like the great 8xxx/9xxx/2xx variants rebranding rip off.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:03 am 
Donator

Nvidia are either milking their market share for all its worth (probably) or cooking up somthing unbeatable. If they were its easy to note ATI are working on the 5 series radeon and the 4 and 3 series are very different and were what they used to take the lead/ catch up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
Anyway, since my brother told me he only wants to play Sims 3 and GTA san andreas. I'm just giving him my PC (Core 2 Duo E6400, 4GB Ram, Twin 250GB HDDs 9500GT) and planning on buying a second hand core 2 duo iMac to replace my aging eMac

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 pm 
Donator

mewrox99 wrote:
Anyway, since my brother told me he only wants to play Sims 3 and GTA san andreas. I'm just giving him my PC (Core 2 Duo E6400, 4GB Ram, Twin 250GB HDDs 9500GT) and planning on buying a second hand core 2 duo iMac to replace my aging eMac

I'm goign to sound rude so apologies but I was just about to say aren't you like only 13 yourself? It would have been better for you to get a new PC and give yours away... which is what you're essentially doing now :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Would this make a good light gaming machine        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:54 pm 
Donator

mewrox99 wrote:

Lol a young kid playing san andreas noone cares but green party reps and the censorship association of NZ so as long as they don't read it you will be sweet.

Top  Profile