BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 0h, 30m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 6082MB of 11305MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Mounting a RAR file?        Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Is mounting a RAR file possible? :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mounting a RAR file?        Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:54 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Find a *.bin and change the extension to *.rar. Have fun mounting :D

There is a program called WinMount that will do it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mounting a RAR file?        Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:38 pm 
FTP Access

Thats not mounting a rar file, thats mounting a bin file. Just becuase you rename it .rar doesn't make it so (as in it doesn't change the file header/description). Winmount is pretty useless, especialy if you already have winrar, which is perfectly capable of viewing archive contents without extracting or creating a virtual drive to do so. In either case, to actually use the contents, the archive would need extracting to a temporary directory (which can be done from winrar). Why would want/need to mount a rar file anyway?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mounting a RAR file?        Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
OG wrote:
Thats not mounting a rar file, thats mounting a bin file. Just becuase you rename it .rar doesn't make it so (as in it doesn't change the file header/description). Winmount is pretty useless, especialy if you already have winrar, which is perfectly capable of viewing archive contents without extracting or creating a virtual drive to do so. In either case, to actually use the contents, the archive would need extracting to a temporary directory (which can be done from winrar). Why would want/need to mount a rar file anyway?

Cause I dont want to extract a ~2 TB RAR just to get some 2GB files

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mounting a RAR file?        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:05 am 
FTP Access

You don't need to mount it to do that, just open the rar file in winrar and extract the files you want.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mounting a RAR file?        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:08 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
I want to run an EXE without extracting the entire package to \temp\ :?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mounting a RAR file?        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
cant you just extract the EXE without the rest ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mounting a RAR file?        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:24 am 
FTP Access

You should be able to extract any file or directory from a larger archive without needing to unpack the entire archive. That should also be true when executing files from an archive, only the files relevent to what is being executed should be extracted, not the entire archive (though that might not be true in all cases).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mounting a RAR file?        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 build 2195
You can open up the archive in winrar and basically copy the .exe file and nothing else. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mounting a RAR file?        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
motherboardlove wrote:
OG wrote:

Cause I dont want to extract a ~2 TB RAR just to get some 2GB files

Is it one single file or a bunch of rar files? anyway, everyone is right. you can extract just one file without needing to extract the entire package. just open it up, select the file you want to extract and drag it into desktop to extract it

Top  Profile