BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 50d, 18h, 55m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 6672MB of 11100MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Cloud computing (again...)        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Ok, so it seems that the general consensus on BA is that Cloud solutions simply won't and can't replace normal desktop operating systems and applications. Since these topics have become prominent again, with Google's announcement I thought I'd poke around a few of the "cloud" solutions already out there.

For the purposes of this, I have popped together a test system from two old laptops that no longer worked. Specs are; 1.5ghz Celery-power, 256mb ram, 30gb IDE laptop HDD.

Picture of said machine :

The obvious first choice for a cloud OS would be Gos, so I downloaded the iso and burned a disk. The result was less than promising; nearly 2 hours to boot up and I fear I would have lost the will to live if I had attempted to install it natively (as opposed to running it from the Live CD). I did get Gos running on another laptop (of a much higher spec) and found it to be good to use, but even once installed natively it was noticeably slower than W7. I'm sure this could have been rectified with some tweaking though. I also didn't like the way that you can't customise the "dock" at the bottom of the screen. I would have been stuck with "blogger" and various "google services" icons that I didn't need.

I also tried Symphony OS. This was very disappointing. It was a lot speedier than Gos but the interface was clearly not a finished product. I did not go through the install, and only used it for a few minutes.

My last choice was Windows XP. I carefully nLited various components out that I didn't need / want...bearing in mind this is to be used for Cloud use only. I have got memory usage well down and set it not to page anything until it really needs to. The only applications I have installed are; Digsby, Chromium & Spotify. I must say Chromium is an excellent product for Cloud computing as you can open webpages in an application window. So my choice for cloud / netbook computing would remain to be XP.

Does anyone here run any cloud solutions yet?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Cloud computing (again...)        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:26 pm 
Donator

Anyone noticed that cloud computing is pretty much a thin terminal setup /shrugs

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Cloud computing (again...)        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
happy dude wrote:
Anyone noticed that cloud computing is pretty much a thin terminal setup /shrugs

Yes, I made exactly that point to some colleagues the other day.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Cloud computing (again...)        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:03 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
With the exception of Amazon's service, it seems that what is being advertized as cloud computing is only using the client/server terminal model for data storage. The CPU functions seem to be still firmly planeted on the client's side.

I know of few people who setup terminals for data sharing.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Cloud computing (again...)        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:16 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Nice! This gave me an idea of how to sort out my mates damaged laptop. The power socket is damaged (burned through the PCB when it arced) so I'm going to keep it out of its case and attach wires instead of a plug. He agreed it would be cool as he always wanted to do this with some form of PC. So, when we get the wood to mount it on we'll see what we can do. I'll post the results when we're done :)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Cloud computing (again...)        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:27 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Try Puppy Linux. I just got it working on a really old laptop (PIII 650mhz, 64mb ram, 6gb hdd) and it runs like a dream... except no wireless drivers yet...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Cloud computing (again...)        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Andy wrote:
Nice! This gave me an idea of how to sort out my mates damaged laptop. The power socket is damaged (burned through the PCB when it arced) so I'm going to keep it out of its case and attach wires instead of a plug. He agreed it would be cool as he always wanted to do this with some form of PC. So, when we get the wood to mount it on we'll see what we can do. I'll post the results when we're done :)

Would be good to see some pics of this when done :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Cloud computing (again...)        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:47 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
hougtimo wrote:
Andy wrote:

Would be good to see some pics of this when done :)

I was going to do something like that with a broken laptop too, ended up installing the guts of it into an old VHS player, and attaching the screen to an old overhead projector, it works great, and allows for some fun times when using VNC and some non-GPU intensive games (Or a TV card and any console game system)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM