BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 21d, 23h, 11m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 5545MB of 10498MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:03 pm 
FTP Access

I came across this video on youtube, and I have to say I have never heard of this particular theory before. Safe to say I was intrigued because it seems to make quite a bit of sense. It also raises some questions. The theory is, there is no such thing as plate tectonics, there was never a "Pangaea" landmass, and continents do not just float around over time banging and crashing into each other. Rather, "continental drift" is a result of an expanding earth. Imagine a balloon, you draw a few random shapes then inflate the balloon. The bigger the balloon gets the further apart the shapes get. The theory states that the larger the earth gets, the more rapid the expansion becomes, which might make you wonder, when will it pop? This might also have some relvence to the scam that is climate change, but thats another topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJfBSc6e7QQ

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
While interesting, I'm not sure I quite believe the conspiracy theories of one comic book artist. He may have explained this in his video, but after a while I stopped listening to his babble completely - how does he explain earthquakes?

Either way, I'm sticking with the, you know, scientists on this one.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
That only accounts for the plates that are pulling apart, by that logic, we would have no mountains at plate borders. Mountains like the Himalayas and (where i live, the Cascades) are clearly the result of continental plates being pushed together. In other words, his "theory" at least in the scientific sense is not worthy of the label "theory" and is complete and utter nonsense with no noncontradictory supporting evidence.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:07 pm 
This theory could be plausible, I don't remember exactly, but don't suns start out small, and then get bigger? Maybe Earth, and other planets used to be small with growing land-masses and then the planet it self got bigger? I'm not really going to put any faith on it, but maybe scientists should look at it and research some evidence.

PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:11 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
uh, what's next.

That the world is flat? and not round or a balloon?
Are all of you aware that garfield is real and superman?

Gees.

This is utter and upper most blasphemy.
(I don't know what that words means exactly, but just saw it in a documentary on discovery)

If you teach this a boy, who is just going to take these types of lessons in school, and you teach only this, then they know that this is real and not what were learned or are learning in school.

Anyway, this is a free world and if they would like to think that is is that way, who are we to say that they are wrong.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm 
FTP Access

Derf wrote:

Either way, I'm sticking with the, you know, scientists on this one.

Hmm I see. Would those be the same scientists who though the speed of light was constant, only to be wrong about that. Or how about the ones who thought that nothing could travel faster than the speed of light, only to be wrong about that too? How about the ones who thought you'd keel over if you went faster than the speed of sound? Hmm that didnt happen either. How about the ones that thought a nuclear detonation would set the atmosphere on fire and kill everyone on earth. Didn't happen. Sorry, I don't have the same blind faith in mainstream science that you do. The scientific community find it near impossible to admit when they are wrong, and instead simply create even wilder theories to support their previous failed theories in an attempt to make them sound plausible again. That does not mean they are right. I'm not saying this dude has it spot on, but its no more out there than believing that the universe was created from nothing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:29 pm 
Donator

LOL. OK this guy is ridiculous.

Where did the extra mass come from or why is the volume increasing? What about the mountains?

I didn't have to think for five minutes to come up with those questions. After watching the video for about two minutes I closed it out and dismissed it, then, curiously wondering how he was going to explain anything, I opened the video back up. He doesn't provide any explanation for anything, he just says that the Earth is expanding and shows a bunch of animations over and over. Then, without presenting any, he claims that we're ignoring the facts.

Quote:
the same scientists who though the speed of light was constant

You're kidding, right? You mean the scientists who discovered that light even had a speed, or that the Earth wasn't flat, etc? The ones that made all the discoveries that make your modern life possible? You can't just go "stupid scientists" when you live in a world built upon their discoveries.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:53 pm 
FTP Access

I have not had time yet to look into the maths. But just off the top of my head and if I remember correctly, the earth gains something like 100 tons per day in matter from space. This theory does not omit the creation of mountains, or earthquakes for that matter. The processes that create those still exist, just not in the way that general tectonics says they do. As matter in the form of dust and asteroid debris falls to earth it is swallowed up and spat back out again, the net result is an even increasing earth. If you really want to read up on teh "science" bihind this then check out http://www.expanding-earth.org/.

QuiescentWonder wrote:

Quote:
the same scientists who though the speed of light was constant

You're kidding, right? You mean the scientists who discovered that light even had a speed, or that the Earth wasn't flat, etc? The ones that made all the discoveries that make your modern life possible? You can't just go "stupid scientists" when you live in a world built upon their discoveries.

Kidding about what? Einstein said the speed of light was constant. He was wrong. Why is that so hard to understand. That being the case, any other theories that relied on Einsteins theory are also wrong. He also postulated that it was impossible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light, he was wrong about that too because radio waves can and do travel faster than the speed of light. Science is not the be all end all, and it is wrong as often as it is right. It was science that determined the earth was flat, so don't know what your point is there, well except maybe proving my point that science is not always right. Cheers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:56 am 
Donator

How does he explain the San Andreas Fault?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:23 am 
FTP Access

What do you mean? From what I can gather, this guy reckons the San Andreas Fault is proof of expansion, As is the Marianas Trench. The main crux of his argument for the expanding earth theory is that mainstream science has no evidence to prove their theory of subduction, or at least are unable to prove that subduction is occuring at the same rate as new land is being created which would need to happen for the earth to maintain a constant diameter.. The net result is that new land is being created faster than the rate of subduction, which in his view is proof that the earth is expanding. From a common sense standpoint, expansion is a far simpler geological process than subduction. Subduction causes many problems, most of which science is at a loss to explain and for which there is simply no causal methodology, or proof.

Quote:
As noted above, subduction fails on several grounds. The current dogma of "subduction" is a theoretical concept with no physical evidence to verify it, nor a plausible causative mechanism to support the claim that one tectonic plate dives, or is driven, beneath an opposing plate. Everything about subduction, including its origin, is based on pure hypothesis and speculation, beginning with an erroneous basic assumption that Earth’s diameter was fixed at the time of its creation.

As explained in the simple hand demonstration showing subduction's fatal flaw, if subduction did exist, the Pacific Ocean basin must eventually be swallowed in its entirety if the Earth’s diameter is to remain constant. In fact, studies of Pacific plate movements that were intended to prove subduction, unwittingly included several measurements that show the Pacific Ocean basin to be increasing in width--not decreasing in width as required by subduction.

The scientific literature contains countless papers purporting to prove subduction, but if examined closely, estimates of subduction velocities are usually inferred from midocean ridge growth rates, or are based on suggestive geophysical data without empirical measurements to prove the direction and velocity of motion.

Benioff zones and deep-focus earthquakes, without directional evidence, are just as easily interpreted as obduction from beneath the continents—or, better, just a sudden shift of two crustal masses readjusting positions in response to expansion of the core and sheer gravitational weight. The epicenter depth of an earthquake bears no relationship to the direction of relative movements of the opposing masses that shifted and caused the earthquake, or the primary mechanism that caused the masses to shift.

Such lack of plausible evidence forces one to question the dogma of subduction and plate tectonics. Furthermore, there is now ample geological evidence to validate the expansion theory, so subduction is no longer viable.

With this evidence one may confidently postulate that Pangaea began to break up ~200 (~195-205?) Ma, at the end of the Triassic, when Asia and Australia broke away from North and South America to form the Pacific Ocean, followed by opening of the Atlantic, and all of today's ocean basins have been created since that moment in time.

Like I said, I'm not saying the guy is right, but he certainly makes an interesting and plausible argument.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:31 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
OG wrote:
plausible argument.

no

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:57 am 
FTP Access

No? It took over 50 years for the scientific community to accept the current geological theory, during which people like you said it was not plausible either and flatly refuted the claims that continents could drift, yet here we are believing that they do. And in that time even that theory has been shifted, adjusted, and renamed to fit whatever was the most acceptable explanation of the day. Science is little more than a series of plausible arguments, but then given your post I wouldn't expect you to know that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:35 am 
Donator

I agree with OG that this is an interesting theory, and it does answer some good questions and whatnot, raises some too, like where is all the water coming from?

You can't say a theory isn't plausible until you have solid facts to disprove it, like having studied the earth for millions of years and recording data on how it's changed.

Like, if I theorised that brain tumours could be cured with a diet consisting solely of gummy worms, we have hard facts and data to disprove that theory, whereas nobody can prove or disprove a theory like this until we somehow collect data on how the earth changes over millions of years (which I don't see us ever doing because I don't see the human race lasting that long)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:41 pm 
FTP Access

Indeed, the question of where all the water came from is a good question. However, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the mainstream believe that the water (end possibly life) on earth arrived via numerous comets/asteroid impacts? If so then very little changes in that respect except the actual process of plate movement. If the expanding earth theory is correct, then surely one would expect to see a gradual thinning out of oceans relative to land mass, and overall sea level would "appear" to drop as has been proven to be the case with evidence of sea life fossils found thousands of miles away from any ocean. This is not a new theory, Even Darwin mulled over it for a while, but it will be interesting to see if it pans out, as difficult as that is likely to be given the downright ignorance of the scientific community.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:55 pm 
Yes, everything we learned is wrong!

The truth is here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_Earth

:mrgreen:

PostPost subject: Re: Everything you learned in geology is wrong.        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
What would cause the earth to expand? Yes, it's hot inside, but it always has been, and is slowly cooling down - which means that it would be slowly contracting, if anything.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]