BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 10h, 31m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5488MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Windows 2000 server upgrade headaches        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:09 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I have a system I am working on with Server 2000 installed.
When it was being set up, the older server died, which left a mess in its wake.
The mess happened to be no domain controller, and no main AD server. The "new" server had the AD downloaded, but it never got promoted.
Now I need to upgrade to Server 2003 because some software isn't compatible with Server 2000, but I am avoiding a clean install because of a few programs that cannot be installed by me, and must be installed by someone from the company, costing me and the person I'm helping out a few hundred in hard earned cash.
I have tried Preparing the AD, and removed the old server off the Domain list (through the thing I found online, I'll be able to be less vague later if you need me to)

What I need to know is if it is possible to remove the AD without the need of the origional Domain server, since it is dead.

(And don't ask me if I can resurrect the old Domain server, it is long gone, and would be 99.99999999999999900099% impossible to recover the data that was once on those disks.)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 2000 server upgrade headaches        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
pizzaboy192 wrote:
I have a system I am working on with Server 2000 installed.
When it was being set up, the older server died, which left a mess in its wake.
The mess happened to be no domain controller, and no main AD server. The "new" server had the AD downloaded, but it never got promoted.
Now I need to upgrade to Server 2003 because some software isn't compatible with Server 2000, but I am avoiding a clean install because of a few programs that cannot be installed by me, and must be installed by someone from the company, costing me and the person I'm helping out a few hundred in hard earned cash.
I have tried Preparing the AD, and removed the old server off the Domain list (through the thing I found online, I'll be able to be less vague later if you need me to)

What I need to know is if it is possible to remove the AD without the need of the origional Domain server, since it is dead.

(And don't ask me if I can resurrect the old Domain server, it is long gone, and would be 99.99999999999999900099% impossible to recover the data that was once on those disks.)

Set up the new Server as a DC (using DCpromo.exe) and then change the old AD entries and DNS entries.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 2000 server upgrade headaches        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:06 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
motherboardlove wrote:
Set up the new Server as a DC (using DCpromo.exe) and then change the old AD entries and DNS entries.

Tried that, here's the error

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 2000 server upgrade headaches        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:14 pm 
Donator

Try making a new domain in a new forest.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 2000 server upgrade headaches        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:10 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Windows OCManage wrote:
Try making a new domain in a new forest.

It won't let me since it already has an AD and domain setup, The MSDN walkthough is for a fresh server, not one with a botched AD and Domain.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 2000 server upgrade headaches        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:16 pm 
Hi, I found this link a few weeks ago and it helped me.
http://www.petri.co.il/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm
Hope it helpes you too.
regards
Bo