BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 13d, 2h, 54m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 6810MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Running OS's of an SDHC card.        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:12 am 
Donator

As some of you may know, I own an Asus EEE PC 701 SD (One of the original ones with the 8GB internal SSD and the 900MHZ Celeron CPU)
I currently have XP Professional SP3 installed on the internal SSD and my personal files and whatnot stored on an 8GB SDHC card, works fairly well.

Was thinking, for a bit of fun, I might buy a seccond SDHC card, Install Windows on one SDHC card and Linux or somthing, maybe Windows 2K on the other SDHC card, then swap out the SDHC cards when I wanna change OS's. The BIOS support booting from the SDHC card so I don't forsee that as being a problem.

So my question is, anyone have any experience with this sorta thing? Anyone able to provide any insight into any problems I might have?
Also, I get a decent boot time with the enternal SSD drive, any idea what kind of performance to expect with an SDHC card?

Might haul ass over to the EEE PC forums and post this there too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Running OS's of an SDHC card.        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:30 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
SDHC speeds are very very poor for this application. If you look at the speeds, then the minimum you can expect on an average high end card is 6MB/s. The low end cheap ones are 2MB/s... Take your pick. Bare in mind these are minimums not maximums, but I honestly wouldn't expect much more. If you want really fast speeds then you have to pay through the roof for them. A 2GB SD card capable of 25-30MB/s is close to £35 ($65) or so. After seeing those prices I didn't bother looking for a 4GB one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Dig ... ss_Ratings

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Running OS's of an SDHC card.        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:36 am 
Donator

The transfer speed doesn't worry me all that much with this application, the main reason I'm considering it is because at the moment I keep all my files on the SDHC, which, like you pointed out, isn't too fast, I'd rather be keeping files on the internal SSD which is (I assume) much faster, and run the OS off the SDHC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Running OS's of an SDHC card.        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:43 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Problem is, depending which OS you are going to use, there could be a lot of overheads. Windows for example doesn't really optimise its read/writes to the disk much so it would quickly become slow because of that. Also think how much you have to actually load from the SDHC card when you load the OS, load an application or in general do anything... It doesn't make sense to swap them as the performance difference is going to be huge and quite annoying.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Running OS's of an SDHC card.        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:20 am 
Donator

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8381

Everyone was against me using a CF card, let alone an SD(HC) card which is muuuccchh slower. CF was only faster because of its same pin layout/connection to IDE

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Running OS's of an SDHC card.        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
What you might do instead of using a SDHC card, is using a good USB 2.0 USB stick. There are a lot of linux versions that run very well on that. On this website: www.pendrivelinux.com is more about that.

I installed Ubuntu 9 (point something) on my usb stick, 4GB and it worked really well! (It was a full installation, only test mode might be slow, and doesn't save all your settings.

For windows versions, I've got no idea if it works. Only Vista and 7 will defently not work as they require 20 GBs of space.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Running OS's of an SDHC card.        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
zeehonden_3 wrote:
What you might do instead of using a SDHC card, is using a good USB 2.0 USB stick. There are a lot of linux versions that run very well on that. On this website: http://www.pendrivelinux.com is more about that.

I installed Ubuntu 9 (point something) on my usb stick, 4GB and it worked really well! (It was a full installation, only test mode might be slow, and doesn't save all your settings.

For windows versions, I've got no idea if it works. Only Vista and 7 will defently not work as they require 20 GBs of space.

Or install Windows XP on an USB stick, i got it running by creating a windows xp embedded runtime image, and it works great! even got Fallout 3 working perfectly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Running OS's of an SDHC card.        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Hey,

Forget about booting from the SHDC, i tried it and it sucks a**, however, get yourself one or two of these instead ;-)

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/buffalo-16gb ... mbkey.html

//Leon

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Running OS's of an SDHC card.        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:32 pm 
Donator

leonbollerup wrote:
Hey,

Forget about booting from the SHDC, i tried it and it sucks a**, however, get yourself one or two of these instead ;-)

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/buffalo-16gb ... mbkey.html

//Leon

Looks nice, shame its over half the cost of the computer I'd be running it on. Works out to be about $180 AUD before P & H, pricey.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Running OS's of an SDHC card.        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 build 2195
If you take the USB option (which is probably the best option as usb is much faster than SDHC) there are alot of small USB's available at Officeworks http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/pr ... /IM4GBATOM. Plus what size are do you want for your usb.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Running OS's of an SDHC card.        Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Beta 3 build 1946
I won't expect it to be good. The storange unit of SSD have less life-span than our ordinary HDD. And, have you ever considered the Page file of windows? SDHCs generate big files rather slow, and when they process small files, it becomes slower, and there many small Prefetch files that Windows XP generates. For that, I only use those devices for emergency repair boot disk such as WinPE.

Memory: 4 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800
HDD: WD3200AAJS + WD2003FYYS + WD6001FSYZ + WD1500HLFS
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620W Modular

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Running OS's of an SDHC card.        Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:40 pm 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.6 (10A432)
For a laugh I tried installing Snow Leopard to my SanDisk 8GB SDHC Card... OS X booted fine, no issues there. However, it was _very_ slow :-)
From boot to the Finder took about 5 minutes (on my 2.53GHz MacBook Pro from internal SD reader)

However, if you create an 'embedded' OS X install - ie replace Finder with something like Firefox you have a fairly nice web-browser-on-a-stick type thing :D

Basically don't use a SD card for an OS!

Top  Profile