BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 12d, 22h, 40m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 6756MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:32 am 
FTP Access

Google has announced that they plan to release a Chrome based OS.

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Google plans to open-source its code later this year and offer Google powered netbooks in 2010. Company officials confirmed that Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips. Google is currently working with multiple OEMs to bring a number of netbooks to market next year bundled with the new Chrome OS.

Google Chrome OS is a new project, separate from Android. Chrome OS is being created for people "who spend most of their time on the web" according to Sundar Pichai, VP Product Management at Google.

The move is ambitious and has wide spread implications not just to consumers but to dominant market leaders Microsoft and Apple. Google has managed to dominate the search market and internet advertising space and having an operating system it controls will certainly help keep them at number one in those markets.

It's not going to be an easy future for the Google OS, Microsoft officials claim that 96% of netbooks run Windows so penetrating that market share will be tough. Google is in an advantageous position to market its Google Apps to compete with Microsoft's Office products. Could this be the equivalent of Apple's AppStore for iPhone where Google provides a controlled and secure development environment for web developers?

Google has not confirmed official pricing and availability yet and the company didn't mention how exactly it plans to profit from Chrome OS.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:40 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Please add a link to the source or the topic will be deleted.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:54 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 build 2195
Here is one of the many links regarding the chrome based OS http://www.pcworld.com/article/168028/g ... me_os.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
Here is from google themselves.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... me-os.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
I wonder which OS they are going to build off of? Linux? FreeBSD? ReactOS?

Offtopic Comment
Maybe the EU is going to do something because the (probably) will include their browser in their OS?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:32 pm 
FTP Access

Maybe, just maybe, they plan to create one from scratch.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:33 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
ReactOS wrote:

Offtopic Comment
Maybe the EU is going to do something because the (probably) will include their browser in their OS?

I understand Linux.

It's a bad idea. It's one of the few Areas Google have no hope in competing in, especially when they base their OS of Linux or something similar.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
I'd like to see them use ReactOS. It can run certain Apps, like Firefox, AbiWord, and a whole bunch of other stuff. If Google uses ReactOS, it probably will be improved on by Google. Linux might be a little too difficult for people who just want to surf the internet. And with over-simplification, it may end up like gOS.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Hi,

Thought i would threw my two cents in here.

Sorry to say so, but i think this is doomed for failure.. because of one simple reason.. its not Windows, and no matter what kinda makeup (new interface, whatever) they will give it, its still Linux, it might end out better than the other linux's out there.. but its still Linux.

Take the whole thing about Linux for the netbooks.. well.. suprise.. suprise.. Windows XP was a clear winner here... 4,7% of all netbooks sold in denmark is running Linux, the rest is running Windows, and i'll bet this.. out of those 4,7%, people dident know what the hell a OS is, and if they knew they did, and could choose themself, they would choose windows, why?.. because thats what their other pc runs, and the pcs before them.. and the pc's before them.. and so on.. and so ooooon...

Let me ask you this, if you got stock on a tropical ireland with just your computer, a OS and Internet.. what OS would you have.. OSX.. Win7.. or Google's OS.. my choice would be easy.. Windows.. OSX.. and then .. faar down my list.. GOS.

I'm not a Linux hater, hell i love it.. for servers.. linux for clients is slow (yes, i said slow.. compare ubuntu to WinXP and you know what i mean), useless (none of my apps. run perfect on Linux, not even under wine, and i'm to lazy to learn to use "alternative" applications), its booring (Seen one linux, seen em all) - and to be honest, googles atempt to create a "slim" and "fast" os.. well.. if i wanted that, i would just use a modded XP or one of the 200.000 other linux distros out there..

One thing i do find funny, is how every site and newspaper write "google will take down microsoft".. you know what?.. BULLSHIT.. if Linux could take down windows, it would have done it a long time ago.. as i see it, the only true competitor to Windows is OSX, end of story - and thats not even half as good as Win7. (note that i am a BIG OSX fan and running it right now).

Bottom line, i think its a good atempt by google.. i respect their try, but this seems more as cheap advertizing for Chrome (wich is quite good btw), but newspapers taking it to the level of "Microsoft's doom is comming".. "Google will take out Windows".. is well.. over-rated and sensation journalistic bullshit.

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:52 am 
I've heard that it's going to have some parts of Android in it, which was actually already starting to show up on some netbooks, with stellar battery life, but apparently they want to take it a step further. We'll see what it'll end up being like.

PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:54 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
leonbollerup wrote:
Hi,

Thought i would threw my two cents in here.

Sorry to say so, but i think this is doomed for failure.. because of one simple reason.. its not Windows, and no matter what kinda makeup (new interface, whatever) they will give it, its still Linux, it might end out better than the other linux's out there.. but its still Linux.

I disagree. It's google, people trust them. For example netbook manufacturers agreeing to use it before even seeing the finished product. Classic example of google succeding before trying.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Dosent matter, here is the reasons why google at "most" will get the netbook marked:

1. Its not windows, it can't run windows apps. (maybe using wine, but thats unstable as *beeep*)
2. Its still just "another" linux (linux is good for the server marked)
3. Its not suited for enterprise

The only thing that speaks for this, is that google puts it name on it.

L.

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:53 am 
ReactOS wrote:

Offtopic Comment

Haha, that made me laugh :D

They've already stated that they're building on the Linux kernel (I think the BBC News site said they were, in effect, creating their own distribution), but what's really important and what interests me the most is this Native Client thing... Certainly something to look out for in the future

PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:34 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Seven
Since this news was released I've seen most major tech websites drool at the mouth!

There isn't even any screenshots/information on this OS yet and everyone is going nuts.

One thing they have in their corner is a brand name and they could make it like a fashion statement with the iphone if they help design the netbooks?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
My $0.02

I would keep that far away from any of my machines. Google have a bad reputation for privacy, and somehow I doubt that medical, financial information would ever be stored on a google os. In fact I believe that they are making profiles of google chrome users and it is proberly just a why of google to monitor people.

In the world of computers it's MS, Apple and Linux. The latter of the two have no more than 10% market share and they have been around longer then windows. So I find "ZOMG!!!!11111 G0ogle is gonnah b33t wind0ze" thing I saw flashed in the media utterly stupid.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Interesting , I wait for the result :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
I don't think this is going to be a successful project for Goolge ecause they can't get people to switch. Over 60% of all people in the US don't now what they are running. I even went asking around random people and you know what they told me, that they are running a Dell or a Mac. Goolge's OS won't be a big hit without many users and they won't have many users unless they market it on upcoming PCs. Google's OS also wont be able to run Windows applications natively. This is big because everything getting developed right now is mostly for Windows systems.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:10 pm 
Donator

narunetto wrote:
I've heard that it's going to have some parts of Android in it, which was actually already starting to show up on some netbooks, with stellar battery life, but apparently they want to take it a step further. We'll see what it'll end up being like.

They've already stated that a lot of code will be shared with Android.

As far the the kernel goes, even if they hadn't stated that they were going to be using Linux it's obvious that's what they'd be using. Aside from the most obvious, Android uses the Linux kernel.

As far as success, it's probably more rooted in whether or not they can get OEMs to install it on machines and not so much people's desire to use it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
XP
mewrox99 wrote:
My $0.02

I would keep that far away from any of my machines. Google have a bad reputation for privacy, and somehow I doubt that medical, financial information would ever be stored on a google os. In fact I believe that they are making profiles of google chrome users and it is proberly just a why of google to monitor people.

In the world of computers it's MS, Apple and Linux. The latter of the two have no more than 10% market share and they have been around longer then windows. So I find "ZOMG!!!!11111 G0ogle is gonnah b33t wind0ze" thing I saw flashed in the media utterly stupid.

I guess this picture pretty much sums up your thoughts. Courtesy of Gizmodo

Moderator Edit: All images should be uploaded using the BA Image Uploader. I have uploaded the image this once, in future images will just be deleted.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:27 am 
Donator

Google isn't any worse than say...any other software developer or search provider. There are plenty of services that collect usage information, primarily to better develop and provide the service to you. What do you think they're going to do with that information anyway? I'm all for privacy rights...as far as keeping the government away from my stuff, but I couldn't care less about a computer owned by Google parsing my email for keywords so that they can better target ads to me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Google announces Chrome-based OS        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
you have a point. millions of people use gmail and I highly doubt that the average user would draw enough attention to stick out enough for human being to read.

Top  Profile