BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 9h, 8m | CPU: 36% | MEM: 5425MB of 10886MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: In regards to betaluva and GSM shutdown in Australia        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:06 am 
Donator

Too off topic to continue in the iPhone topic, so, here goes.

betaluva wrote:
happy dude,how do you know that the GSM networks are shuting down? if its true then a lot of people are going to [censored] OFF! :x

OF course they will. This happens every time though (AMPS, CDMA)

All major networks here (Telstra, Optus, Vodafone) are planning GSM shutdown around 2010-2013, in various ways.

Telstra: Still run a GSM/2G network with EDGE speeds across the country, however, any new coverage is built on NextG (3G 850Mhz). Some parts are covered by 3G 2100Mhz. 850Mhz UTMS (3G) would be the best coverage, since it goes out further and holds a connection better in fringe areas. They only sell one postpaid phone thats 2G, the Hiptop Slide, which, may be replaced with a 3G model in October. Few 2G prepaid phones

Optus: Still running 2G networks and 3G on 2100Mhz in major cities. They are rolling out 900Mhz UTMS (3G) in country areas as a direct competitor to Telstra NextG, since lower frequencies have better penetration of walls etc and, again, go further. They are in the process of shutting down GSM at these sites where thye are using 900Mhz 3G.

Vodafone: They generally don't give a rats ass.

3 recently signed a roaming agreement with Telstra to go to 3G 850Mhz/2100Mhz roaming instead of GSM, fyi.

In summary, unless you're running a Nokia 5110, you should be fine. Even if you get a 3G phone and your SIM is only 2G they'll upgrade it for free.

More info? Just ask.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: In regards to betaluva and GSM shutdown in Australia        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:58 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 build 2195
Really. I thought they were only going to shut down CDMA (which they did last year) and keep the GSM networks, due to the fact to many people use GSM and not enough people have started sing 3G.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: In regards to betaluva and GSM shutdown in Australia        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:18 am 
Donator

In NZ Telecom one of our providers is giving use two years to switch to 3G we were using CDMA and GSM on vodaphone originally. A new one 2 degrees or somthing just launched.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: In regards to betaluva and GSM shutdown in Australia        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:24 am 
Donator

Umz93 wrote:
Really. I thought they were only going to shut down CDMA (which they did last year) and keep the GSM networks, due to the fact to many people use GSM and not enough people have started sing 3G.

Something like 65% of Telstras mobile subscribers (something like 6.175 million people) are on NextG/3G services now anyway. 3G is much faster (Optus' is like 7.2mbps, Telstras up to 21), holds a connection better, data doesnt die in a call if your into that sort of thing (or have a Hiptop like myself) and it covers more.

Of course, there will always be ignorant people who think their phone will work for the next quarter of a century then abuse telco staff saying why the hell doesnt my phone work despite turning its network off.

win98 wrote:
In NZ Telecom one of our providers is giving use two years to switch to 3G we were using CDMA and GSM on vodaphone originally. A new one 2 degrees or somthing just launched.

You guys had AMPS till 2007...wow old, lol

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: In regards to betaluva and GSM shutdown in Australia        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
The trouble with 3G is it drains a ton of battery, on the iPhone it cuts the battery life in half to have it enabled when EDGE works just fine most of the time.

(This is written from the perspective of a Norwegian, where 3G 2.1 GHz is only available in cities/medium sized settlements but EDGE is everywhere)

Edit: the Scandinavian analogue telephone system (NMT-450) was in use until 2006, there is something to be said for backwards compatibility.

Is it not common in other countries to buy cheap phones from third party retailers and not just your service provider? At least here it's still possible to buy cheap (~£30) Nokia phones without 3G or even a colour screen.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: In regards to betaluva and GSM shutdown in Australia        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 pm 
Donator

longview wrote:
The trouble with 3G is it drains a ton of battery, on the iPhone it cuts the battery life in half to have it enabled when EDGE works just fine most of the time.

(This is written from the perspective of a Norwegian, where 3G 2.1 GHz is only available in cities/medium sized settlements but EDGE is everywhere)

That's true,, battery life pretty much disappeared using data on my old Nokia using 3G.

longview wrote:
Is it not common in other countries to buy cheap phones from third party retailers and not just your service provider? At least here it's still possible to buy cheap (~£30) Nokia phones without 3G or even a colour screen.

You can get phones pretty much anywhere here, even at petrol/gas stations. The problem is that the cheap payg ones are carrier-locked. Of course more expensive unlocked ones are around, you just have to look (or turn to the interwebz)

My theory is alot of people started to take up 3G here since all networks except Telstra only had GPRS, try using an iPhone on that :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: In regards to betaluva and GSM shutdown in Australia        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:27 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
@ happy dude, thanks for the explanation of the different standards, i always wondered what they meant :D

sorry i didnt reply sooner but betaarchive keeps on sending me back to the log in screen every time i try to post a message.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: In regards to betaluva and GSM shutdown in Australia        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:00 am 
Donator

betaluva wrote:
@ happy dude, thanks for the explanation of the different standards, i always wondered what they meant :D

sorry i didnt reply sooner but betaarchive keeps on sending me back to the log in screen every time i try to post a message.

Doesn't look like an explanation to me :S In summary GSM = 2G, which is what they'll kill. 3G is what you want :P

And I've been having that same problem too -- ONLY on XP machines. :|

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]