BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 3h, 43m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 5566MB of 11027MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 Build 297
When I try to hear the music, the computer freezes without warning while the rapid beeping occurred. My computer in C: does not have some virus or Trojan and my computer does not have any hardware errors.

Also here today, when I trying to access the website, the computer freezes without such beep without warning, error messages or BSOD. This also effects when trying to right click the picture.

My Computer is running XP Professional with Service Pack 2, with 1GB RAM and 2 hard disks.

Last edited by trustBA on Mon, 3rd Nov, 2013 6:99 am, edited 100 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:00 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Check your processor's temperature and see what it is,
Also, what is your Processor? The symptoms you described sound like a overheated processor, and that isn't a good thing...
CoreTemp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ will help you find your temps
Hope that helps

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Sounds like this might be due to a faulty Hard Drive - I had the same issues on my Mac mini and that was the exact problem.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:42 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 Build 297
pizzaboy192 wrote:
Check your processor's temperature and see what it is,
Also, what is your Processor? The symptoms you described sound like a overheated processor, and that isn't a good thing...
CoreTemp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ will help you find your temps
Hope that helps

Cannot use CoreTemp. I've using the processor Pentium 4 2.8GHz.

Last edited by trustBA on Mon, 3rd Nov, 2013 6:99 am, edited 100 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
I also think that it is a faulty hard disk.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
You could also use Hwmonitor Pro or Speedfan

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 Build 297
Another issue today, when I trying to point:

File Menu > New > Folder

The computer freezes without warning and no such faulty hard disk error occurred.

Again, in Safe Mode, the computer work fine without any computer freezes.

Edit: Again, when trying to highlight the selected items, the computer freezes without warning. My current download are available in FileZilla but next restart, it will gone all unsaved settings.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:53 am 
FTP Access

trustBA wrote:
My computer in C: does not have some virus or Trojan and my computer does not have any hardware errors.

What makes you so sure that it isn't a hardware problem?

Quote:
Also here today, when I trying to access the website, the computer freezes without such beep without warning, error messages or BSOD. This also effects when trying to right click the picture.

Well... What are these "error messages" and BSOD messages? These are typically key to diagnosing a problem. So please try and make it BSOD or throw up an error message and either take a picture or write it down and report back.

Right now, I'm thinking that it could be an overheating CPU, a bad Hard Drive, a bad memory stick module, or something software related (such as drivers, a virus, or a corrupt system file).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:22 am 
Donator

If your BSODs generate any memory dumps, I'll analyze them for you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:45 am 
Donator

You can access the CPU temp in the BIOS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:05 am 
FTP Access

Mine did that last week. The cause, an exhaust fan locked up shorting out the psu 12 volt rails. Replaced fan and cleaned inside of computer.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
trustBA wrote:
Another issue today, when I trying to point:

File Menu > New > Folder

The computer freezes without warning and no such faulty hard disk error occurred.

Again, in Safe Mode, the computer work fine without any computer freezes.

I would remove all the drivers and install them one by one, maybe it a driver problem since in safe mode it's running fine

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 Build 297
Thanks. This is my new clean installation with C: formatted. My external hard disk has virus so it will make the computer freezes.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 Build 297
Sorry for the double post.

Here is the next issue, my computer freezes without warning and sound while the file is downloading and archiving the file.
There are no viruses, Trojans, hardware errors, hard disk issue, cd-rom issue and memory issues. The affect of freezing the computer is Windows. I'm using the computer with XP SP2.

Edit: Every restart, before, after or inside the Welcome Screen in Windows XP, the computer will freeze without warning, error messages, long beep, or Blue Screen of Death. The safe mode should runs fine at all without freezes. Just this, it must be the Windows affect, not faulty hard disk or any hardware errors.

Last edited by trustBA on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:22 am 
FTP Access

Check the event log?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:35 am 
Donator

Alright. I haven't read every post in this thread so forgive me if I'm repeating something.

It sounds like a hardware problem to me unless you've infected your computer with the same virus after you re-installed.

1. It could be overheating. Check inside and make sure all the fans are operating and there is not a ton of dust clogging them up. You haven't taken the heat-sink and fan off of the CPU at any point, have you? If you have, you should have properly cleaned the heat-sink and CPU surfaces and applied new thermal grease, otherwise it could be overheating.

2. To me, it also sounds like the hard-drive is going bad. How do you know that it isn't? Did you do a quick format or a full format when you re-installed? A full format would have done a surface scan of the disk. You can run a surface scan by opening command prompt and typing "chkdsk /R".

3. You say that you know it isn't a memory problem. The only way you can actually check is by running a program to test the memory or using the memory in another computer. Software to test your RAM comes with Vista and 7, or you can download one here to burn to a CD: http://www.memtest.org/

Remember, just because you aren't notified of a hardware problem doesn't mean that one doesn't exist.

If your external hard-drive has a virus there is a chance that there is an autorun file that automatically installs the virus in any computer as soon as the hard-drive is plugged in. You can use TweakUI ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx ) to disable autorun, or you can try to hold down the Shift key on your keyboard until the drive is entirely setup with Windows, this only works temporarily and should you need to plug the device in again you will need to hold down Shift again. Here are instructions on how to permanently disable autorun so that you can plug the hard-drive in without the virus infecting your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

After you have done this it would be best to actually scan the drive for viruses. You might want to use multiple scanners. I'll recommend AVG Free ( http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe ) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware ( http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
If it runs fine in Safe Mode it is NOT Windows.

It are the DRIVERS!

Try to update the BIOS to the latest, update all drivers to the latest.
If not, there is a virus or somekind of thing at work.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:44 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 - 7600
If its not the Hard Drive going in your pc it is possible it could be a virus because a while ago i had the same problem and i found it was a trojan virus in my pc. I dont know why my antivirus could not pick it up but i have changed my virus protection since then and the problem has gone.
Im now using Microsoft Security Essensials

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 Build 297
Another thing update I uninstall Connectix VPC v4.1 (that is the program to affect the computer freezes) and restart. Then, the computer is not freezes at all.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 Build 297
I have the strong revolution (double post):

The computer freezes without warning while the download is slightly finished. Because of this, I've removed Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 because Virtual PC is my enemy to freeze my computer. It must be my RAID hard drive installed.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 Build 297
Here is another freezing sequences. The computer freezes when tries to run mp4 file and archiving the files with the long beep came from the speaker.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My Computer freezes without warning with no errors        Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
DjRob wrote:
If it runs fine in Safe Mode it is NOT Windows.

It are the DRIVERS!

Which, when loaded could trigger faulty hardware, locking up the system...

If it's one of the disks, it could be a problem I had earlier this year where the system would lock up, this was caused by a faulty hard-drive. The system locked up because the page file was on that drive.

I've also seen Windows XP installs get messed up because of broken hardware probably causing installer programs to crash and system files corrupted from several lockups ending in a hard reboot.

The beeping is your sound cards buffer underflowing, probably repeating whatever was in the hardware buffer when the system locked up.

Top  Profile  WWW