BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 6h, 3m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 6625MB of 11381MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Did you ever hear of or use "BOB"?
I've Used it! (both) 46%  46%  [ 11 ]
I've heard of it! 50%  50%  [ 12 ]
No, Never! 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 24
 PostPost subject: Does anyone remember Microsoft Bob?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
I saw somewhere about the program (i think youtube) and I had never herad of it before. Apparently it was a major flop and no one every really liked it. While I was online looking for a copy of it to test it I found an article about it. In the article it said that if you have a copy of any Win XP CD you have the program. See asince a CD only hold a certain amount of info Microsoft had to make sure that XP would fit on one CD. It did and they had about 30Mb left over. One guy decided since they already payed for the space he might as well put something there. So he put "BOB' on the CD somewhere (even he doesn't know), and ponded on the keyboard to make the encryption key. So a lot of people have the program but don't know that they do. When i read that i thought it was pretty cool. If anyone can located it on the CD please let me know or if you just have something to say about the program please post it.

Thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Does anyone remember Microsoft Bob?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:19 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
You are right to assume that there is a build on the xp disc, and the suprising thing is that a bunch of well-traned monkeys that were origionally set to the task to re-create shakespere on typeriters found the "encryption hash" for the MS bob build, along with the secret path (%cdroot%\MSbob)
The hash is: khasefohq3t9p7yqtaguagdruh!

Now for the truth, I will post it below

You have been fed complete and utter BS
We have 2 builds of bob on the BA servers, both from Windows 95 disks (correct me if i'm wrong)
There is _no_ MS Bob on the XP disks...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Does anyone remember Microsoft Bob?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
To find BOB you really have 2 choices: find some abandonware site and DL it from there, or get your 10 contributing posts, get on the server and Download it from there.

If you just want a bit more information/screenshots of it, go to http://toastytech.com/guis/bob.html, there's a lot of screenshots of BOB there.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Does anyone remember Microsoft Bob?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:22 am 
FTP Access

The first hit on google regarding ms bob on the XP cd also hosts 2 download links to the
program itself, half way down the page.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/2 ... ideo-demo/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Does anyone remember Microsoft Bob?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
pizzaboy192 wrote:
You are right to assume that there is a build on the xp disc, and the suprising thing is that a bunch of well-traned monkeys that were origionally set to the task to re-create shakespere on typeriters found the "encryption hash" for the MS bob build, along with the secret path (%cdroot%\MSbob)
The hash is: khasefohq3t9p7yqtaguagdruh!

Now for the truth, I will post it below

We have 2 builds of bob on the BA servers, both from Windows 95 disks (correct me if i'm wrong)

Actually "Aztech" found the site i got my info from (through a link on youtube) and it does talk about it being on the XP cd's here is the link:http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/27/microsoft-bob-free-download-on-every-windows-xp-cd-and-video-demo/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Does anyone remember Microsoft Bob?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:06 am 
Just out of interest... is the Build on the XP CD 1.0a or 1.0? 1.0 would be interesting, because I dont have it ... :P

PostPost subject: Re: Does anyone remember Microsoft Bob?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Namronia wrote:
Just out of interest... is the Build on the XP CD 1.0a or 1.0? 1.0 would be interesting, because I dont have it ... :P

Sry I'm not actually sure, all the info i know is on that website. The site said it was hidden and encrypted so.....?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Does anyone remember Microsoft Bob?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:50 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Ah... that might clear up a few things, and I can clear up some things too...
#1: It was available on XP Technet disks
#2: It is impossible to verify, and it doesn't take up 30mb (might be a false claim to get people to try finding it desperately)
#3: Why Bob?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Does anyone remember Microsoft Bob?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:14 am 
Administrator

Hm, is it April 1st already?

I've read the info on that page and find several things that doesn't really match up:

• Why would Microsoft need to "fill up the CD"? Windows XP doesn't have any CD checks whatsoever, it doesn't look for hidden sectors or even the file integrity beyond the validity check of the compressed files and signed files, and that is a check you can disable. So why the need to fill up a disc for XP to work? Fill up the disc to what size? 600MB? 700MB? 800MB? Because we all know those sizes exist with overburned discs... and we also know that copying an XP disc is very easy and a whole multitude of applications can remake the installer without any issues (XP-Lite etc). And in each of those rebuilds the disc size would be completely different. If there were a check it would have been discovered, analyzed and removed already. And it would have been a common and known fact for everyone that has ever tried to replace something in the Windows installer.
  • You don't simply "mash your hand on the keyboard in exactly the right way, out will come a copy of Microsoft Bob.". It's like I would boot up Windows and randomly mash up my hands on the keyboard and all of a sudden a hidden copy of "Office 92" would launch... To actually extract or run anything you would need to know where it was. Yes, Microsoft could have added some code that checked the keyboard for an exact correct sequence before initiating some kind of decryption routine but that would be an utter waste of time for Microsoft to add, not to mention it would add complexity to the code and the risks with such action. It could be some kind of ultimate easter egg but it would be utter useless since it would be too complex to have any comical effect for the end user. And what fun is an easter egg no one can access? Not even the guy that presumably added this thing knows how to bring it back.
  • If there were such hidden code and encrypted data on the disc it would have been a major problem for Windows updates. Not only would this check have to be re-implemented every time you slipstream a single patch or service pack into the installer (recalculate disc size etc), but it would cause major head pain for any developer on Microsoft making patches for the system. Since no one can decrypt it or even knows where it is it would be a bomb ready to go off. All of a sudden things would be randomly crashing and no one would know why... since we would have some hidden encrypted data no one knows about messing around.

So, by applying some common sense I think this is just some drunk ranting of the developer, or someone just came up with this to make a story (we've never seen this before now have we? Common newspaper methodology...). That bits and pieces of BOB exists in XP and other applications (icons, hints etc) I don't question, it's common practise with Microsoft, Adobe and other software manufacturers and there is nothing wrong with that. But that there would be a hidden piece of data block the size of 30MB-ish no one knows about, has ever found a trace of and that is known only by a very small group is highly doubtful if you ask me. And a website is hardly proof of anything (Elvis lives btw, and ET is real!)

But perhaps we are all wrong and there exist such code. I sure would like to know then where it is.

And so would just about every developer, Windows tech and amateur hacker.

To me all this sounds just like some kind of urban myth created around a camp fire after a few pretty strong beers.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Does anyone remember Microsoft Bob?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
pizzaboy192 wrote:

you are right, but it was not found on Winodws 95 disks.

Microsoft BOB has it's own CD and you had to INSTALL it ontop of Windows 3.1 or Windows 95.
It even works on XP.

In XP you can see something from MS BOB, it's Rover, the dog in the search.
And some other ones in Microsoft Office.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Does anyone remember Microsoft Bob?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:41 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I remember MS BOB! I used to play it whenever I visited my Dad when I was younger (which was every 2 months or so in school holidays). I still have the full version on disk somewhere.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Does anyone remember Microsoft Bob?        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:26 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
I'm installing MS BOB now. It's something I've been itching to do for years but keep forgetting

Top  Profile